Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jun 2008 at 1:48 AM
How can I export sims models, objects etc to .obj?!
I have been looking all over the internet and various sims sites and 3D sites for days trying to find the answer to this. I use Maya, so I was wanting to export sims models and objects and if posssible, houses to and .obj to .fbx format so that I can import it to Maya and use it for other things or to tweak it to my liking in a program I'm well familiar with and then reimport it as a custom mesh, object, etc. But how do I get it from the sims 2/bodyshop/simsPE or whatever into a .obj file? Please someone help me out with this. If possible please email me an answer or link to an answer at [email protected]
thank you very much
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Jun 2008 at 12:39 PM
We don't answer in email. We answer here on the forums.

If you read the meshing tutorials you'll find your answer:
bodies: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=141997
objects: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=104795

For bodies and other jointed meshes you're limited to Meshtool if you want to get it back in-game. You're pretty limited using Meshtool though - small edits. Can't add or remove anything.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#3 Old 16th Jun 2008 at 2:46 AM
So you can't modify things in Maya and get them BACK in game? (Cause I know how to get an obj file out....) What about things like accessories that don't warp?

Cause I modified a simple accessory (exported obj file, edited in Maya, and exported again) and got it to show up in SimPE, it loaded the 3D preview fine in SimPE, but I just have no idea how to associate it's UV texture map with it....or get it back in game (I tried and it didn't even show up in the list in bodyshop).

I saw a Maya tutorial once for furniture...so I know you can with some things...(I feel so paralyzed with the whole Sims 2 meshing thing cause I can TEXTURE and MODEL in Maya, even animate, but all these 'simple' programs like Milkshape and stuff confuse the heck out of me. XD )
Alchemist
#4 Old 16th Jun 2008 at 3:15 AM
Getting the basic model out of SimPE in a .obj format works.

The old wavefront .obj format does not support joints (bones), skin weights or animation. It was never updated to add these, instead FBX was developed to replace it. SimPE does not support .fbx, and I know that trying to move a boned mesh from maya to MilkShape using FBX does not import the bones properly, and consequently does not get into the game properly. Some of that can be manually repaired in MilkShape, but it is a tedious process.

I believe that the people that have done successful work with maya (outside of Maxis itself) have used the .smd (Valve) format. There is a plugin available somewhere for maya that will export SMD, and SimPE will work with that format.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
#5 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
Getting the basic model out of SimPE in a .obj format works.

The old wavefront .obj format does not support joints (bones), skin weights or animation. It was never updated to add these, instead FBX was developed to replace it. SimPE does not support .fbx, and I know that trying to move a boned mesh from maya to MilkShape using FBX does not import the bones properly, and consequently does not get into the game properly. Some of that can be manually repaired in MilkShape, but it is a tedious process.

I believe that the people that have done successful work with maya (outside of Maxis itself) have used the .smd (Valve) format. There is a plugin available somewhere for maya that will export SMD, and SimPE will work with that format.

<* Wes *>

I extracted the character parts one by one and assemble in 3dsmax then I exported it as a GTA SA ped model and it works.
I just use SimPE and export texture as png and mesh as obj and 3dsmax for later creating.

Do not be on9 otherwise you need to penalty 500 plastics and jailed 6 months.
I haven't work on The Sims and I am work on GTA more.
Test Subject
#6 Old 5th Nov 2016 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BensonLam
I extracted the character parts one by one and assemble in 3dsmax then I exported it as a GTA SA ped model and it works.
I just use SimPE and export texture as png and mesh as obj and 3dsmax for later creating.

Hello! What you described sounds like a solution to what I've been looking for, so I wanted to ask you for further advice!
For an art project I want to extract the face, and if possible along with the body, of a Sim I have in-game (The Sims 2), edit the body to a certain pose, and make it ready to be printed on a 3D printer.

I know how to use SimPE for recoloring objects & editing Sim informations, but I haven't had much experience with meshes. I would really appreciate it if you could give me guidance on how to make this project into a reality. I can imagine it would need lots of tutorials and detailed explanations, but even a clue on how I can extract the face mesh of my sim from the game and into a 3D format that can be 3D printed, that would be very useful!

Thank you.
Test Subject
#7 Old 5th Nov 2016 at 1:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BensonLam

Hi, me again! I have successfully exported the face mesh as an .obj file and am now able to view it in 3d programs.
But I saw that this mesh is not enough by itself for what I imagine to create. I think I need to export the body, a hair, a clothing for it and reassemble them on a program just like you did; yet I have no clue on how to do it, and also no clue about how to use the original textures and make it a whole. Do you have any simple instructions that can help me on the move?