Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 4:50 AM
Default Sims 3 shutting down randomly...
Ever since I have installed TS3, I've been having a problem where the game will just randomly shutdown. I never get any sort of error or anything like that, it just closes down to my desktop. I typically happens after 15 minutes of play. I don't understand why this continually occurs. I'm running and Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13ghz, 4GB of RAM, and a nVidia GeForce 9600 GT card and Vista. I'm not sure what to try to fix this up.
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 4:57 AM
Is that a custom build or did you buy it prebuilt? Is the 9600gt something that came with the computer or did you put it in afterwards?

You should update drivers, especially chipset and graphics. You have not provided enough information to help you find most drivers. You can get graphics from here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

You should also check for overheating. Please download and run this program:http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php Leave it running while you attempt to play the game, and it will automatically record the maximum temperature your hardware reaches while you are gaming. Ideally you want to play -at least- 20minutes, but if things are crashing like that then you may not be able to do that. Play as long as you can. Screencap the results (print screen and paste into photo program) and post them here.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 5:43 AM
I put it in march or so, I've been running it since and I have not had any other problems with games or anything like that. I'll try updating and checking to see if it is overheating to see if thats the problem. Would the computer just simply shut down the game and go to the desktop if it overheats? I though it would do something more drastic if it overheats... Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll get on that right away.
Theorist
#4 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 4:39 PM
My computer's CPU definitely overheats. I set up a temperature alarm when the temp is too high, and it goes off all the time when Sims 3 is running. Mine does exactly what yours does... Sims 3 just abruptly closes out to the desktop. Sometimes it does do something more drastic, which is crash to the blue screen of death with an error code of 0x00000124. So it can do either. Google says the max temp of your CPU is 61.4C so make sure it isn't getting any higher than that.

For me, it wasn't practical to replace the heatsink/fan unit on the CPU (I have a compact PC and a bigger one won't fit). So what I do when I run the game is I go into Task Manager and set Processor Affinity to run on just 1 core. This seems to greatly reduce processor temps... it does make the game a little more laggy, but still playable and that's a lot better than random crashes.
http://www.addictivetips.com/window...ion-in-windows/
Only issue is I have to do that every time I run the game. I'm sure there's a way to automatically set processor affinity, but I haven't researched it. On the plus side, not one crash and my temperature alarm never goes off any more.

Resident wet blanket.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 5:09 PM
There are other hardware bits that could be overheating here - but yes, the CPU is one possibility. Really we need to see the screenshots that Calli asked for to be sure.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 6:27 PM
Heres the CPUID screenshot, taken right after my game shutdown.
Screenshots
Theorist
#7 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 6:57 PM
Yep, your CPU is overheating. 66C for one core and 64C for the other. The chip maximum is 61.4C.
Give the CPU Affinity setting a try and see if that helps.

Resident wet blanket.
shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 7:22 PM Last edited by callistra : 1st Jul 2009 at 7:39 PM.
The CPU is indeed overheating. There is no reason for the CPU to be running that hot unless something is simply not functioning properly. It is NOT a good idea to ignore overheating and/or just set the processor affinity. Continuing to run the CPU without directly addressing the temperature issue will cause permanent physical damage, and eventually totally destroy the CPU. You need to fix this before you play the game, and really you need to fix this before you even run the computer at all anymore. Your vcore is also WAY above stock voltages so it's making me think that perhaps you have an unstable overclock. If you have overclocked then you need to do some more tweaking.
If you're not overclocked then I would first load BIOS and tell it to reset/load optimized defaults. You might also clean your PC for dust. Part of this guide talks about how to do that: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...nboard_Graphics While you're at it, I would do some wire managing and make sure that you don't have a rats nest of wires in there that are obstructing airflow. If that's not enough to significantly drop temps you DO need to reseat the processor. If you're not comfortable with doing this then you may want to get it addressed by a professional.
GnatGoSplat, the above applies to you too. It is your choice to do tasks which are physically damaging your CPU, but please do not advise other people that this is ok.

TemplerArcher, I am also concerned about your GPU being under powered. When you installed that card did you also upgrade your power supply? Please let me know the manufacturer and model the power supply. If you don't know, part of this guide talks about how to check on that: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=330401

Moving to computer tech support since this is a computer problem, not a game problem.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 8:39 PM
I have tried to get the cpu temp down, but so far no luck. I have expended all of the options you have told me except reseating the processor. I used to work on computers but it has been a while, by reseat you mean to take out fan and apply some more thermal paste and place it back in or am I forgetting something?

I did get a new power supply because my old one did not have the seperate wire to plug into the card, here's the information I got off of the supply:

Thermaltake TR2-430W

AC input: 115v/10A 230v/5A
Frequency: 47-63Hz

DC output
+3.3v | +5v | +12v | -5v | -12v | +5VSB
28A | 20A | 18A | 0.5A | 0.8A | 2A
Hopefully that helps to differentiate which is lined up to which.

The info I got on the video card:
AOpen GeForce 9600GT 512MB DDR3 PN: 288-10N43-130EV

I can't seem to find the power requirements for the video card anywhere... If someone spots them could they give me a link please?
Theorist
#10 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 8:57 PM
Stock Vcore on an E6400 is 1.25V so I think his/her Vcore at 1.27V max is okay.
CPU-Z should be able to tell if it's overclocked.
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
You'll need to run the CPU at 100% and see if the GHz rating matches the max rating for the chip. E6400 should be 2.13GHz.

By all means it's best to clean the PC out, manage wires, remount the CPU heatsink with new grease, etc. anything you can do to get better airflow. However, if all that fails due to bad case design, you'll have to get a new case or a more efficient heatsink.

In my case, there's not much I can do because I have a compact case with only 0.25" clearance above the stock cooler. Switching to a physically smaller PSU helped a lot, but it's still blocking most of it. Poor cooling is one curse of a compact case. My only solution is to change the case or switch to water cooling, but in the interim setting CPU affinity gets by until I can do one or the other.

Setting CPU Affinity won't hurt anything. Both cores are on the same die so turning one off will affect the temperature of both. If turning off one core results in no overheating, that's not an ideal solution, but no harm done. So yes, I think it's okay to do this, but obviously not ideal.

Resident wet blanket.
shiny!
retired moderator
#11 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 8:59 PM Last edited by callistra : 1st Jul 2009 at 9:11 PM.
The stock heatshink/fan will have no problems cooling the CPU properly provided that it's installed properly and nothing is abstracting airflow (like wires and dust clogging fans. Changing processor affinity can lead to all sorts of extra instabilities and is not recommended. But the REAL PROBLEM is that it does not solve the problem of whatever is causing the high temps and continuing to run the CPU without directly addressing the problem will damage it. Thank you for trying to help but you're mistaken in some of your knowledge.

You'll want to clean both the CPU and heatsink with some NON oil based cleaner first. You don't want to use any general surface, bathroom or other type of cleaner. Isopropyl alcohol works great as long as it's at least 70% and not mixed with any oil. 99%+ is recommended. If you don't have any good thermal grease, I recommend this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16835186020 This guide talks about the correct way to apply to a dual core CPU: http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/app...l_dual_wcap.pdf

Unfortunately your new power supply is not up for running the GPU either. That could also be causing crashing. That particular psu does not run at rating and actually delivers less than 430w at peak with poor efficiency. That said, wattage should be okay, but the real problem is your rails are weak. You need at least 26A on the +12v rail and that one has a single 18A. Under powering a graphics card can start out with decreased performance, lag and stuttering, and can lead to artifacts, crashing and instabilities and ultimately can blow your power supply. If the power supply is having problems, that can also cause the CPU to overheat. All things considered, I would definitely replace the power supply.

Both of these are excellent quality power supplies that will have no problems running your computer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817703017
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817139003
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 10:04 PM
So is the problem of overheating and the crashing most likely from the underpowered video card? Because I already ordered a new power supply that goes over those requirements you gave me. Thanks so much for the help and everything. I really appreciate all of the guidance given and I hope this fixes everything.
shiny!
retired moderator
#13 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 10:33 PM
Basically.. If the power supply is having problems, for whatever reason, that can cause the CPU to overheat. Since we already know that the gpu requires a stronger power supply that what you have, it's a good place to start. It could definitely be causing more stress than the power supply can handle, and a struggling power supply can cause the CPU to overheat. Regardless of whether or not the power supply is causing the CPU to overheat, you need a new power supply. Hopefully that will stop the CPU from overheating. If not, then you can try reseating the CPU.

Can I ask what power supply you ordered? Just curious.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 1:05 AM
Heres a link to the supply

http://www.dalco.com/ProductDetails...04&selection=25

its a 600w

+3.3v | +5v | +12v | -12v | -5v | -5VSB
25A | 32A | 32A | 0.6A | 0.6A | 2.0A
shiny!
retired moderator
#15 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 3:40 AM Last edited by callistra : 2nd Jul 2009 at 3:59 AM.
Unfortunately, Ultra is not a good power supply manufacturer. Since you already bought it, at least specs wise it's enough. Hopefully it won't give you problems.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 6:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
Unfortunately, Ultra is not a good power supply manufacturer. Since you already bought it, at least specs wise it's enough. Hopefully it won't give you problems.

Out of curiosity, What is wrong with ultra? what types of problems do they typically have that makes them bad? So I know what to look out for.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#17 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 10:52 AM
It is possible that this problem is heat-based and not power supply-based at all. Does this problem typically worsen if you are in CAS or CAST? This is a particular problem that afflicts higher-class computers in TS3, where TS3, lacking any "brakes", will simply max the hardware out, converting all your computing power into heat for no good reason.

See here for a solution.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
shiny!
retired moderator
#18 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 7:56 PM
TemplerArcher, well as with anything, there are different qualities of power supplies. Ultra makes cheap options that aren't to the same quality as many other manufacturers. They also run hotter, have more ripples, and lower efficiency. It doesn't mean you will for sure have problems, it just means that they are just a lot more likely to have more problems than some other power supplies.

Pescado, their temps are too hot even before they play the game so it's unsurprising they overheat during game play. TS3 is obviously attributing to the overheating but there's something else going on, whether or not it's psu related.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 3rd Jul 2009 at 4:20 PM
What should my processor be running at temp-wise when I am just doing things over internet explorer or downloading? Just so I know what I should be shooting for.
shiny!
retired moderator
#20 Old 3rd Jul 2009 at 5:16 PM
People with good cooling systems will see it IDLE in the 30s and on up into the 40s under load. As long as you stay in the low-mid 50s at MAX you should be fine.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 10:15 AM
my game randomly shuts down to the desktop as well... How can i tell whether its because of overheating? im on laptop need more info ? ask (i keep the fan in my room on =/)

hello (:
I Fang Bang baby
House of Stark
GoldfishSparxXx aka SarahSparxXx aka SimmySparxXx aka SparxXx aka Soursparks
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#22 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 3:11 PM
Do as Calli asked the OP to do in post #2.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 6:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Do as Calli asked the OP to do in post #2.

i have the recent update on my car thing

i have a dell XPS M1330

i don't think this program is compatible w/ my computer it doesn't show everything ..
this is before i started playing

after i played the sims..

hello (:
I Fang Bang baby
House of Stark
shiny!
retired moderator
#24 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 11:11 PM
Your computer is notorious for overheating problems and one of the graphics options that it came with is defective in that it can't handle heat the way it should. It's not a good combination. For some reason, your graphics aren't even showing up. It's not lack of compatibility. That temp program should have no problems showing temps on all of the gpu options for that machine.

Your CPU isn't technically overheating but it's running way hotter than it should be. The fact that your gpu temps aren't showing up is bothersome. I would recommend updating your graphics card drivers. If you need help finding them then please post your full system specs: http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...312&postcount=2
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
Your computer is notorious for overheating problems and one of the graphics options that it came with is defective in that it can't handle heat the way it should. It's not a good combination. For some reason, your graphics aren't even showing up. It's not lack of compatibility. That temp program should have no problems showing temps on all of the gpu options for that machine.

Your CPU isn't technically overheating but it's running way hotter than it should be. The fact that your gpu temps aren't showing up is bothersome. I would recommend updating your graphics card drivers. If you need help finding them then please post your full system specs: http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...312&postcount=2

OS: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
RAM: 2038MB RAM - 2GB
GPU: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (i hope this is it)
MANUFACTURER/MODEL: Dell INC. / XPS M1330

hello (:
I Fang Bang baby
House of Stark

Page 1 of 2