Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 4:54 AM Last edited by cows : 20th Apr 2018 at 3:27 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2
Default graphic issues
Is there something I could do to the neighborhood water, for purely aesthetic reasons to look prettier, as in a cheat like those that make trees and deco visible from lots and such? Thank you.

Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 5:47 AM
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 6:07 AM
What has happened to your water? I've never seen it look like that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 6:35 AM
There are no cheats, only shader mods. The one that omglo linked to is one of the two main ones and is the only one that makes neighborhood water prettier when viewed from within lots, so it's the one most people use these days.

But I agree with Jo: What the heck happened to your water? Are you using some kind of overlay?

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 8:25 AM
Your water looks like wool carpet. That's not normal.
Space Pony
#6 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 11:45 AM
Looks like Voeille's "under water terrain texture". http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=588607
It looks like that if you do not have the seawater mod, and reflections are off.

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 10:59 PM
It looks pretty bad, I admit (lol @ the wool carpet water). I don't know when it started to look like this (can't remember), but I'm sure it looked more "normal" before. I do have Voeille mod. I had some trouble with the pink flashing bug that started to happen in my game all over again after some months of no problems with that whatsoever. I had to change some files and stuff, so I thought perhaps something was messed up in the user cheats file or the graphic rules / video cards files. I guess I'll keep investigating...
Space Pony
#8 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cows
I do have Voeille mod. .

The sea water overhaul? Or you have the defaultreplacement textures? (link I posted)

As if you have Voeilles seawatermod, then it should not look like in your pic.
In that pic is what you get if you DO have Voille's default replacement terrains but NOT the seawatermod (you still can have the pondwater, as they are separate) .

If you have the seawater overhaul (and your system can handle it) , your ocean should look reflecting, or if reflections are turned off, all water would be pitch black

Also, in case you DO have the seawater overhaul, do you also have this by Criquette? http://criquette-was-here.tumblr.co...ustom-hood-deco

if you do make sure you have the riht version and remove Voeilles original seawater overhaul

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 3:27 AM
Okay, yes, I have both Voielle's default texure replacement and the Sea water mod.

I have been testing some things out.

*I have changed between graphic rules (from leefish site, and also one that Voielle updated in the watermod comment thread. I also did the whole graphic rules maker patching thing again.)
*I have reset the graphic in-game options, closed the game, opened again, and tweaked them again to my liking.
*I installed the water mod only (not the default texture replacement) again after moving out the "The Sims 2" folder in MyDocs to another place and let a new be automatically create.
----
As even I'm confused with the situation... basically, a couple of days ago my Sims 2 for some unexplained reason (I have not installed any new CC or changed anything recentley.) got the graphic reverted to the low quality default, including the resolution. I thought I had fixed it back to the way that it was before the problem, the issue is that now this mod (Voeille Sea water mod) has stopped working... but I'm not even sure anymore if I actually fixed anything at all, or if it's the water the only thing that is broken.

@Kukamuukaanmuka you say that the water will look black if reflections are turned off. The water is indeed black when I load a lot.

but the download page for the mod says that with a pool square it should be fixed for both the sea and the pond (I don't recall this working like this in the past in my game - I had the mod but never the black water, but whatever, could be just my mushy brain.) This is indeed what is now happening in my game, however, I do recall that before my little game-graphic-meltdown, the water reflections "updated" better than they do now, so I do think there is some sort of residual issue.

In certain camera angles, or parts of the neighborhood, it looks like certain reflections get stuck... or it reflects things it shouldn't at all.

Honestly, I'm going a bit paranoid over here. I mean, shouldn't the wind turbines have the wings?! Did I never noticed before or is something really, really screwed up with my game? I feel like I'm slightly going crazy here (Yes I'm overreacting.)

picspam because to me the rest of the game looks okay
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 4:11 AM
You may want to look over the new sticky thread by Jessa. http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641 Also please post help questions in the help section.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Space Pony
#11 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 4:30 AM
And the parts of when it reflects somethiing weird is what happens. and will happen Simply cause not like pond , seawater cannot be rendered like that. it is known bug and explained in the topic of original download .

Based on your pics you do have nice lookin water, so I am confused what is the actual problem here? When it does turn to the plain texture? And yes I have too the thing that when first loading the lot water is black, it will change in second (under) for me

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

Undead Molten Llama
#12 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 10:11 AM Last edited by iCad : 20th Apr 2018 at 12:59 PM.
I use those water mods, and when I first load the lot, sometimes the neighborhood water that can be seen from the lot will be black. Spinning the camera around will fix it. I think moving the camera "prompts" the shader to pick up the proper reflections. The weird reflections in the sea water is because, for the reflections to truly render properly with this mod, you need pool squares on all four sides of the water in question. That can't be done with neighborhood water, so there will always be weird reflections like that. If you're a picture-taking kind of person, you need to use strategic camera angles and/or photoshop out the weird reflections.

I have no idea about the windmills, though. I don't use those often and, when I do, I guess I just haven't noticed if they have the wings in neighborhood view. Although, now that I think about it, it's probably normal for them to not have the wings in lot view, because they're animated in neighborhood view and neighborhood animations don't show in lot view. You don't have passing trains in lot view, for instance, so for likely the same reason, you have wingless windmills. I wonder if there's a non-animated neighborhood-deco windmill out there. I'd rather have them non-animated in neighborhood view than have windmills that look more like flagpoles in lot view, personally.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 7:09 PM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 20th Apr 2018 at 7:23 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I wonder if there's a non-animated neighborhood-deco windmill out there. I'd rather have them non-animated in neighborhood view than have windmills that look more like flagpoles in lot view, personally.

The animated wind turbines were introduced with OFB. Non-animated ones were included with the base game. They're in the Landmarks category of neighborhood deco. There's a group of them in Strangetown just down the road from the Grunt house.

EDIT: I added one of the animated wind turbines to Strangetown and then took a screenshot from the Grunt's yard for comparison. The OFB turbine is missing its blades, but the base game ones look just fine.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 8:00 PM
Thank you all for your help.