Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 10:33 AM
Default CAS CC that does nothing?
This isn't an issue of non-working custom content!
I've noticed CC (notably skin details and makeup) without custom thumbnails that just seem to do nothing. It's usually a generic thumbnail of a sim's face or hands or something. I start creating my individual sims with a completely blank slate meaning they're totally nude and all so that I can edit them from scratch. I always do skintone, skin details, and makeup before any clothes so that I can see what each one does to the whole body. So, when I'm testing said CC I expect to see where it's being applied fairly easily since there's no clothing or even hair to hide what it may be changing. But often I have a couple CC items that literally don't appear to do anything at all. I just tried one that was in the lip category. The thumbnail is just a generic shot of sim's lips (I have 3 separate lips that do nothing). When selecting it it doesn't appear to change anything about the sim (I click back and forth over and over to be sure). The worst thing about this is that I have NO CLUE which CC items these are so I don't know what to go and delete so I end up with a handful of these seemingly useless items.
Ohhh, how I wish time and again that you could hover over a CC item while in CAS and have it show the name of whatever it is. I also have several hairs where I apparently didn't download the mesh that I have NO clue how to fix since I can't hover over them to see which specific hair is missing a mesh. This is highly frustrating.
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue of CAS CC showing up in game but nothing changing when it's clicked on.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 1:06 PM
CAS has ALWAYS been in need of tool-tips since forever. idk why EA hasn't added this yet, they can add item tool-tips, why not CAS items?!
Scholar
#3 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 11:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eringobragh22
This isn't an issue of non-working custom content!
I've noticed CC (notably skin details and makeup) without custom thumbnails that just seem to do nothing. It's usually a generic thumbnail of a sim's face or hands or something. I start creating my individual sims with a completely blank slate meaning they're totally nude and all so that I can edit them from scratch. I always do skintone, skin details, and makeup before any clothes so that I can see what each one does to the whole body. So, when I'm testing said CC I expect to see where it's being applied fairly easily since there's no clothing or even hair to hide what it may be changing. But often I have a couple CC items that literally don't appear to do anything at all. I just tried one that was in the lip category. The thumbnail is just a generic shot of sim's lips (I have 3 separate lips that do nothing). When selecting it it doesn't appear to change anything about the sim (I click back and forth over and over to be sure). The worst thing about this is that I have NO CLUE which CC items these are so I don't know what to go and delete so I end up with a handful of these seemingly useless items.
Ohhh, how I wish time and again that you could hover over a CC item while in CAS and have it show the name of whatever it is. I also have several hairs where I apparently didn't download the mesh that I have NO clue how to fix since I can't hover over them to see which specific hair is missing a mesh. This is highly frustrating.
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue of CAS CC showing up in game but nothing changing when it's clicked on.

You need Sims 4 Studio. You can open all your custom content with it and look at it. Very helpful for cleaning things out. Also I'd say you need to do the 50/50 anyway and start sorting things by batches in small amounts. A generic thumbnail just means the creator didn't make a custom thumbnail or didn't know how to make one and isn't necessarily a sign that an item is bad custom content.
Instructor
#4 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 11:57 PM
Also there is a hierarchy, some skin details end up being set to be applied over makeup due that part not being too well understood.
If it doesnt show, try removing skin details as "full skins" might prevent makeup from appearing on the Sim due to being set to be applied over it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Aug 2017 at 10:23 AM
I do have Sims 4 Studio. I only recently got it though and haven't explored all it's features. Awesome that I can view all my CC there!
I do the 50/50 method EVERY time something goes wrong with CC. And like I said, this wasn't an issue of CC that doesn't work. Though...I guess if I click and it does nothing then...it doesn't work. =P But I guess I didn't consider it faulty CC. Especially since it was showing in the list (I knew the thumbnails were just generic because it wasn't custom) just not showing on the body. But I'm thinking Drakon is probably right in that it's likely something that layered underneath a skin or something and I just can't see it. I've had that happen with other layerable makeups.
And YES, we really do need an option for tooltips for CAS items!
Scholar
#6 Old 15th Aug 2017 at 1:27 PM
What you were looking at probably wasn't intended to be lipstick at all, which was another part of the body, but categorized that way, so the game shows you lips. Without previewing everything in S4S before adding anything in your game your asking for frustration.

You can easily find your downloads without a mesh by launching S4S then click on the MY CC button, then it shows your all your CC with a preview on the left, having swatches but having nothing on the left shows you there is no mesh.

Good rule of thumb if you can't tell what is it, like lips, delete it because you wouldn't miss it anyway.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 15th Aug 2017 at 6:29 PM
Yep I have some useless, not working, corrupted, outdated, bad quality, I don't like it anymore types of cc that I keep just because idk which file to delete to get rid of them. I miss being able to delete cc directly from in game catalogue. I think we had that feature in ts2.
At least they need to give us the ability to see the file info of a cc item.

Sul Sul! Hooba Noobie?
Forum Resident
#8 Old 15th Aug 2017 at 6:45 PM
Another useful program is tray importer: http://luniversims.com/files/file/7...-tray-importer/. You can use it by saving sims or houses with content you don't like. (you must save the items to your library) then when you exit the game, you can use it to browse your tray. It will show you (once you "export" sim with cc, which just allows a list of cc to show up before any actual exporting would happen) the names of the content, the tray file names and pictures of what is in your tray.