Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 11:19 AM Last edited by K9DB : 10th Feb 2016 at 12:31 PM.
Default Thumbnails zoomed to much
Hi,

Been trying to get S4Studio or TSRW to create nice thumbnails, but it keeps zooming in too much and cutting the top of the object off. I used to make them by screen capturing them all and editing each..etc. but I would love an easier way. Anyone know how to do this properly?
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 12:00 PM
I really think the best place to post this is in the Sims4Studio forum where they have set up threads specially for feedback like this.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 12:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I really think the best place to post this is in the Sims4Studio forum where they have set up threads specially for feedback like this.

Actually it doesn't necessarily have to be Studio that creates them, maybe TSRW would work too. Tried it there and got the same problem, so kind of a general...why aren't my thumbnails centered thing, lol. Sorry, wasn't very clear, my brain is fried, but that's a good idea, I'll go find it and ask there first, thanks Inge!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 12:20 PM
You can adjust how thumbnails are being generated by editing the MTBL resource (assuming it's a regular object). The values should usually match the bounding box of the object -- if that doesn't work well (say when your object is asymmetrical and you want to have the thumbnail more centered) you can adjust accordingly, just add a few cm on the side that you want to show more of.

There's one MTBL per model, so you only need to do that once for each object (not once per colour variant). Open in s4pe and edit in Grid view, labels are hopefully self-explaining =). Delete any picture thumbnails that are in your package (otherwise those will be used), and also delete the "localthumbcache.package" in your game files, so that the game can regenerate them.

If your object is a rug or a book or something flat like that, see the recent post in Resources.

Also moving this to Object Creation since it's not about a particular tool as you say. =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 12:38 PM
Thanks Plasticbox!
Changed the title of my post :P
Ah! That might be the problem, I created a new mesh and the bounding box might still refer to the older, shorter object that I cloned (Triceratops toy). It's for one of the toys I'm making to add to the woodworking table. Of course...now I'm dying to go try it, but I'm not at my computer...argh...thanks, I'll take a look at that ASAP.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 12:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by K9DB
I created a new mesh and the bounding box might still refer to the older, shorter object that I cloned

Sounds very much like that would be the issue, yes =) Should be easy to fix then.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 12:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Sounds very much like that would be the issue, yes =) Should be easy to fix then.

The bounding box was right, but I noticed the MTLB entries didn't match up in S4PE. Unfortunately that made it even worse, but I changed them back and followed your instructions, changed some numbers (took me a while, oddly the ones I thought I had to change were the wrong ones...math class was no help here, hehe), but finally I found what worked and now it's in the center, YAY! Thanks again Plasticbox! You're the best!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 12:19 AM
If you have an idea for better labels on those fields, let me know (best over here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=572221 ) --- but if you mean the Y-up vs Z-up thing, yeah that is always confusing me too >.<

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 2:25 AM
Yup, I meant the Y-up vs. Z-up thing, and Y is X ...I think, hehe...gonna have to rememer that!
By the way, I don't see the generated thumbs added to Studio or Workshop, which is fine with me, less files is probably better anyway, but just to be sure...the thumbnails will still work the same for everyone when I upload right?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#10 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 2:42 AM
I assume those tools don't import them because they would be redundant. You only need custom thumbnails when you want to do something special, like add a logo or override an existing Maxis thumbnail; for everything else they would be the same as those that the game generates anyway. If you need them you can always grab them from localthumbscache.

I never heard of any problems with the regular game thumbnails .. hardly any of my own uploads have custom ones, they're all game generated, and nobody ever posted about issues with that.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 10:36 AM
That makes sense, and good to know about getting them from thumbnailscache if I ever need them, thanks!