Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jun 2015 at 6:32 PM Last edited by simmythesim : 25th Jun 2015 at 7:06 PM.
Default Help with hot tub.
I've been trying to convert the "Bubble-Up "Soaking Zone" Hot Tub" from The Sims 2 base game for use with The Sims 4, problem is, sims don't actually interact with it, whenever I click an interaction, it just goes away. An error log appeared and it says

EDIT: It seems that the reason this is happening is because I cloned it from a table, because cloning from a hot tub isn't working yet. Hope a fix for this comes soon!
What does this mean? This is my first object creation, so bear with me. Also is a polygon count of 6000 normal? I don't know what is high yet, but considering the normal hot tub clocks in at 900 polygons, I think it's something to worry. I've attached the files below.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  hot tub 2.zip (504.5 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Jun 2015 at 6:47 PM
Hi, you've posted in the wrong forum, this is the Sims 4 Creation Forum. The Sims 3 one is here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=593

But in any case, I can tell you that 6000 polys is way too high for either TS3 or TS4. TS2's game engine was able to cope with higher poly objects, but items have to be much lower in TS3/4. Aim for as close to the TS3 item as possible, in this case 900 polys, so you'll need to reduce the polys of your TS2 hot tub a lot.

Often in TS2 there was extra trim and even bits and pieces inside the mesh that you don't see in-game, that can be removed, which is a start, and then you can gradually reduce the rest of the mesh using DirectX Mesh Tools in Milkshape, little by little to get the poly count down more and more without distorting the mesh. Maximum reasonable poly count for a TS3 object would be maybe 2000-3000 at most, but it would be ideal to get it lower than that.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jun 2015 at 7:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Esmeralda
Hi, you've posted in the wrong forum, this is the Sims 4 Creation Forum. The Sims 3 one is here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=593

But in any case, I can tell you that 6000 polys is way too high for either TS3 or TS4. TS2's game engine was able to cope with higher poly objects, but items have to be much lower in TS3/4. Aim for as close to the TS3 item as possible, in this case 900 polys, so you'll need to reduce the polys of your TS2 hot tub a lot.

Often in TS2 there was extra trim and even bits and pieces inside the mesh that you don't see in-game, that can be removed, which is a start, and then you can gradually reduce the rest of the mesh using DirectX Mesh Tools in Milkshape, little by little to get the poly count down more and more without distorting the mesh. Maximum reasonable poly count for a TS3 object would be maybe 2000-3000 at most, but it would be ideal to get it lower than that.

Whoops, I accidentally mistyped it, I meant it for 4
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Jun 2015 at 7:16 PM
Ah, okay. I don't know what the error you quoted means, but hot tubs are geostate items and if you're using Sims 4 Studio, it is not yet able to work with geostates. If you're using TSR Workshop, I'm not familiar with that tool, so hopefully someone who uses it will be able to advise (but if that is what you're using and you're having problems, then I'd guess that TSRW is not yet set up for geostates either). In either case, I'm not sure cloning it from a table would be successful.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 25th Jun 2015 at 7:28 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 25th Jun 2015 at 8:19 PM.
Does a hot tub even have geostates? That error is talking about a missing joint .. to fix that I imagine one would have to add that joint.

I have cloned stuff with geostates in TSRW before and that worked, so I guess it's worth a try .. I didn't edit anything about the states though, so I can't comment on that.

If the actual object looks fine (high-poly-ness aside) and your only problem is that TSRW/S4S don't offer you hot tubs to clone from, you can also give it the proper rig/rslt/tuning references manually (i.e. with s4pe). The animations will likely only look good when they're similar to existing TS4 hot tubs -- I don't know them, I only know PatioStuff has them -- so if I were you I'd just reference the tuning from one of those and if necessary, copy/customise and edit it later.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Jun 2015 at 8:06 PM
Yes, they have geostates. Loads of 'em. (See below pics.) There's even one for the dropshadow!

OP, I guess your best bet is to try TSR Workshop, and clone it as a hot tub, not a table. Good luck
Screenshots
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jun 2015 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Does a hot tub even have geostates? That error is talking about a missing joint .. to fix that I imagine one would have to add that joint.

I have cloned stuff with geostates in TSRW before and that worked, so I guess it's worth a try .. I didn't edit anything about the states though, so I can't comment on that.

Nevermind, TS4 Studio doesn't work and TSRW can't even detect the hot tubs, it looks like making new hot tubs is impossible, for now.
EDIT: Realized that there was an update for TSR Workshop, will report back on whether I can clone hot tubs.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 25th Jun 2015 at 8:18 PM
Ah, I just edited my above post as well. Yeah try that; also you can always fiddle with tuning and stuff later -- I don't know what either of the hot tubs in question look like (neither the TS2 one you have there nor the TS4 ones) but I guess you will likely have to amend the rig and/or the mesh to make it all fit.

Also, in TSRW you should also look in the "Uncategorised" objects department -- wall shelves for example don't show for me in Surfaces either, but they are in Uncategorised > Displays and are working fine. So maybe they just show in the wrong place?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Jun 2015 at 10:40 PM
It works!!! Now I only need to fix some of the clipping and I'll be done with my first conversion!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#10 Old 25th Jun 2015 at 10:48 PM
Cool; thanks for getting back. =)