Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 11:26 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Maxis custom hairs missing
I recently installed custom "custom" hairstyles (hairstyles that are not the usual four colours and instead go on the * category). I know Maxis has some of these, but I never thought they were enough. Problem is, when I entered CAS I saw I have no Maxis custom hair at all, only the CC ones I downloaded! What could have happened?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 11:57 PM
Try sending a sim to a mirror and changing their appearance to get the Maxis hairs in Live mode. When I first started playing, I didn't know that there were different colours of hair at all and I thought the* category was only for cc. At the time I was playing without cc hair, and I played for a couple of years before adding any or ever clicking the * when using "change appearance". I was surprised by all the colours available through there when I sent a sim to a mirror after finally adding a cc hair.

They may also be accessible if you enter debug mode in CAS: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Create_a_Sim#Debug_Mode
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 12:15 AM
Maxis custom hair is only available at the mirror @Yvelotic2001 I have not tried debug mode to check if it shows up then. I believe it is unavailable in CAS so you can set your sims eyebrows and real hair colour. Custom hair means the hair is dyed, but the sim still needs a real hair colour-if you KWIM? So even if it does show in debug mode I would not apply it then. Decide on the sims hair colour in CAS and then dye it in game. I would suggest that for all sims, even with custom dyed hair. I remember some years back a friend uploaded a simself with Maxis custom hair and her eyebrows would not show or randomly disappear.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 12:48 AM
Oh, ok. I will look in the mirror if they are still there. Since these custom custom hairs show up in CAS, what would happen, genetics-wise, if I chose one of them for a CAS Sim?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 12:57 AM
Well I think the same thing might happen with the eyebrows. I haven't tried it, ever since that incident with my friends simself I always give them a real hair colour in CAS and dye it in game. Sims can't pass on custom hair anyway, so I think the game would randomly pick a colour to be their genetic colour, so it's better to pick it yourself.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 1:19 AM
Sims' original eyebrow color may be of help in figuring out what their genetic hair color is (but if you change it, you'll probably have to check in SimPE).

Custom hairs seem to be loosely linked to the hair color used to make them, so if the creator used a black base the real hair color might be black. Eyebrow colors sometime change when choosing custom colors ( I don't think it happens in the mirror because you have to also change the eyebrows there, but I think it hapens in CAS, possibly also Bodyshop).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 1:23 AM
Except when they have no eyebrows because the game can't work out their true hair colour.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 1:27 AM
The missing brows also happen with borked accessories (I learned that the hard way...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the no eyebrows bug and/or no hair bug tends to happen if the hair is custom(?) and the game can't find a replacement. Also happens in Bodyshop/CAS if the original hair was removed. It's why it's alwas a good idea to not put custom hairs on Bodyshop sims, and why it's a good idea to pack sims with Bodyshop content only (if it's their face features you're after).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 4:56 AM
Custom Maxis you mean or CC? That simself with no eyebrows was uploaded with Maxis custom. I wonder if the OFB uniform glitch has something similar going on, although I am pretty sure eyebrows disappear there regardless of hair. I think bald is missing CC hair? I know a couple of sims I downloaded just for the face sculpt showed up bald.

~Call me Jo~