Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 8:26 PM Last edited by jezzfrompleasantview : 4th Dec 2017 at 7:15 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [SOLVED]game gets identified as a virus
I recently resetted my PC. Today I installed Sims 2 again. Tried it and everything was fine. Then I took my back up file (of neighborhoods and downloads and everything) and put it in the folder but now the game won't start. I get an error message about my computer not having enough resources to start that programm. After that Avira sends me a notification about the game being dangerous since it includes a suspious file or pattern named "TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen3" . I have no idea what that is. What is going on and how do I solve this? The usual tricks (taking out downloads, deleted cache etc.) don't work
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 10:26 PM
I have no clue as to what that file could be, but I did a search on my computer and don't have it so I doubt it has anything to do with sims 2. You may need to uninstall, have your computer cleaned of registry keys and reinstall. Any file left from a previous install can bork a new install, its one reason we say don't reinstall unless it's the last resort.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Nov 2017 at 12:30 AM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 27th Nov 2017 at 3:22 AM.
How did you install your game? From discs? From Origin?
That TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen3 is a trojan, so your computer is infected. If you downloaded the game from a torrent we won't be able to help you with your game.

Edit: You've got the UC, right?
You've been having problems with your game for months now - every time you post, you end up saying "solved" and I'm not 100% convinced you're actually listening to what people are telling you.
The #1 thing I can tell you is that uninstalling and reinstalling the game isn't really helping like you think it is. When you uninstall there may be (I'm not 100% when it comes to the UC) files left behind in the registry that would need to be deleted. (Is there anyone with the UC that can confirm?) IF those files are left behind - I know they are if you've installed from disc(s) - reinstalling with those files still here can cause problems with your new install. Either way: uninstalling/reinstalling should be the last resort, even if EA tells you to do it. Most problems can be fixed without doing that.

That said, your computer IS infected with malware - no matter where it came from. You'll need to fix that before worrying about fixing the game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Nov 2017 at 1:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
That TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen3 is a trojan, so your computer is infected. If you downloaded the game from a torrent we won't be able to help you with your game.

You've been having problems with your game for months now - every time you post, you end up saying "solved" and I'm not 100% convinced you're actually listening to what people are telling you.
The #1 thing I can tell you is that uninstalling and reinstalling the game isn't really helping like you think it is. When you uninstall there may be (I'm not 100% when it comes to the UC) files left behind in the registry that would need to be deleted. (Is there anyone with the UC that can confirm?) IF those files are left behind - I know they are if you've installed from disc(s) - reinstalling with those files still here can cause problems with your new install. Either way: uninstalling/reinstalling should be the last resort, even if EA tells you to do it. Most problems can be fixed without doing that.

That said, your computer IS infected with malware - no matter where it came from. You'll need to fix that before worrying about fixing the game.

First of, about the trojan: I had a virus and to get rid of it decided to reset my PC. I'm not really an expert on viruses and thought it would not do anything to my sims files, so I copied them on an USB stick and then after the procedure back on my computer.

About my other UC problems: I'm not sure what you mean by that. I usually do what other people tell me and if not, only because I managed to solve the problem another way. I also wonder why I constantly get new problems but I don't see a connection to my older ones or what people have replied. I only reinstalled the game once which solved my problem. And this time I had no other choice because I deleted everything from my PC, including the game.

But now: Thanks for your reply. I guess I am going to delete my old files, look for the trojan and start a new game. Thanks for clearing this up
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 27th Nov 2017 at 1:47 PM
Try Malawarebytes - use it to scan your computer. It's pretty good at removing things like Trojans. Run an anti-virus scan too

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#6 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 3:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz

YEP! However, IObit uninstaller, will clean out 90% of the registry entries. Whenever I need to uninstall, I use IObit, then manually clean out the 50, or so, leftovers from the registry. Fortunately, over a 2 1/2 year period, with my Sims spread over several computers, I've only needed to uninstall, and clean two or three times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 1:11 PM Last edited by jezzfrompleasantview : 4th Dec 2017 at 7:08 PM.
Thanks for all the help!
I used malwarebytes, adwCleaner, ESET, and again Avira and the Windows Defender, none of the programms found any malware.
Then I used CCleaner and IObit uninstaller to clean out the registry.
After that I found a thread in another forum about avira thinking that some parts of the game a trojans since they use a similar code or whatever, so it's just a false report. Well, I deleted avira and installed other programms and now everything works again.

Instructor
#8 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 12:06 PM
Did you use a no-cd-crack? Avira always lists my crack as a potential risk, even though it isn't.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 2:09 PM
McAfee has always been the best anti-virusprogram for me (I know people who wouldnt buy McAfee but I have good experiences with it).
Also for The Sims 2 I have never had problems with McAfee.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Field Researcher
#10 Old 5th Jun 2018 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TychoH
Did you use a no-cd-crack? Avira always lists my crack as a potential risk, even though it isn't.
@TychoH

I do, and I use AVAST! AV. It's effective, light, and plays well with Sims 2. You can temporarily disable it very easily, for installs.