Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 1:28 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default path to launch game fobar
Tried to install AGS - had to create path from Cdrve to Program Files 86, where it could see EA games folder. Had to reboot . Now it looks like the path to launch the game (M&G stuff) has been changed - it opens with the "CC detected" msg, then has 2 hoods, Belledona & Desiderata (which were not on the normal game at all)
I CAN find my hoods: they are in c-drive/users/my name/documents/ea games/Sims 2.

The USUAL route to get to that place was NOT via c-drive, but documents/ea games (which would then show all those folders -neighborhoods, downloads, cameras, etc)
But if I go that route now I get: documents/ea games - and that contains all the EP & SP (like should show up in the c-drive), none of the other folders
So the game is now launching the M&G game only??!!!
Never mind that I couldn't figure out how to use AGS (I actually wanted a vanilla game, which I could put a custom, already built, hood in - to test), now my attempt at installing it has messed up big time!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Advertisement
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 1:58 AM
Try relaunching the game in AGS. When it asks about changing the registry when you exit, say yes. If not, (or instead of) you will have to rechoose your normal documents folder as the default documents by going to the documents shortcut right clicking and choosing properties and then location If I remember correctly.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 2:19 AM Last edited by grammapat : 5th Apr 2018 at 5:39 AM. Reason: no luck fixing this myself
Confused: "go to the documents shortcut" -- what? . I had not launched AGS, and when I tried just now it does not ask about changing the registry.
Went to desk-top short cut to M&G, went to properties, the tab that says "shortcut" has 2 fields, "target" and "start in" both of which start with c-drive. I assume I should change (one?both) to the path where I found my correct hoods: C-drive/users/my name/documents/ eagames/sims2 ---? NO - there is no launch.exe there. But I tried it anyway...
===
nope that doesn't work, got message that my path was invalid.
I deleted all the stuff from trying to install AGS.
now even the WRONG game won't launch, and all of the packs are greyed out - it's not seeing Anything!
==========
And I bypassed the short cut. via c-drive,went to ea games/m&g/ TSbin. Here there are "EP9.exe" (if I launch that it does open - with NO HOODS. And there is also "Launcher.exe" which will not launch.
BAD BAD OMG

Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#4 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 12:40 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 5th Apr 2018 at 12:55 PM.
Did you save your Sims 2 folder before installing AGS?
Try running it as admin... I remember having issues with AGS because I didn't run it as admin....

Maybe @marka93 knows more about this... who was able to help me when I was stuck?

Have a look at my other post.
http://modthesims.info/m/showpost.p...postcount=13216

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Mad Poster
#5 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Confused: "go to the documents shortcut" -- what? . I had not launched AGS, and when I tried just now it does not ask about changing the registry.
Went to desk-top short cut to M&G, went to properties, the tab that says "shortcut" has 2 fields, "target" and "start in" both of which start with c-drive. I assume I should change (one?both) to the path where I found my correct hoods: C-drive/users/my name/documents/ eagames/sims2 ---? NO - there is no launch.exe there. But I tried it anyway...
===
nope that doesn't work, got message that my path was invalid.
I deleted all the stuff from trying to install AGS.
now even the WRONG game won't launch, and all of the packs are greyed out - it's not seeing Anything!
==========
And I bypassed the short cut. via c-drive,went to ea games/m&g/ TSbin. Here there are "EP9.exe" (if I launch that it does open - with NO HOODS. And there is also "Launcher.exe" which will not launch.
BAD BAD OMG

When you create an "Any Hood" with AGS it normally places a start icon on your desktop. (It may also create a new folder in My Doc's called "AnyGameStarter" but this may need you to run the new game, I just don't remember when it creates that folder.)
It should be called something like this "AnyGame1" "AnyGame2" or "AnyGame3" and you just double click on it and it should launch what ever the setup that you chose.

If you installed AGS in another drive other than C then I would uninstall it and reinstall in the C drive. Its not that big of an install and will run better.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 11:04 PM
Which version of windows are you using, grammapat?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
When you create an "Any Hood" with AGS it normally places a start icon on your desktop. (It may also create a new folder in My Doc's called "AnyGameStarter" but this may need you to run the new game, I just don't remember when it creates that folder.)
It should be called something like this "AnyGame1" "AnyGame2" or "AnyGame3" and you just double click on it and it should launch what ever the setup that you chose.

If you installed AGS in another drive other than C then I would uninstall it and reinstall in the C drive. Its not that big of an install and will run better.

Thanks but...not the issue

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 12:01 AM Last edited by grammapat : 6th Apr 2018 at 12:57 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Which version of windows are you using, grammapat?

It's 7
called Geek Squad - no help. He copied my CORRECT Sims2 folder to desk top (the one the launcher couldn't find). I could have done that, but I thought such a big file, I might damage some file.
He wanted to put it in the M&G folder. OMG.
So I have uninstalled M&G, will reinstall - hoping it will create a CORRECT path. Then I will replace the Sim2 folder it creates with my old one - is dragging that folder any more dangerous than copy/past ?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 1:01 AM
and moving right along: Can't install M&G. When I get to point where it finds a path, I hit "next" and it says "no you want to quit". I've tried changing the path: should there be a "|" between EA Games and M&G? No, that didn't work. Tried removing the last part, M&G. It didn't like that, said Sims 2 or one of it's EPs is already there. ??!! So it doesn't want to install M&G where the OTHER EPs are?

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 2:29 AM Last edited by gdayars : 6th Apr 2018 at 2:52 AM.
Go to start if you are on 7, and right click Documents in the list, and see if the location of documents checked goes to the right location, if it doesn't if there is another documents listed, see if it is the proper pathway (c:/username/documents for instance) and make sure it is the selected one instead. If not, you will have to tell it where to go to select where documents is.Jand see if the location of documents checked goes to the right location, if it doesn't if there is another documents listed, see if it is the proper pathway (c:/username/documents for instance) and make sure it is the selected one instead. If not, you will have to tell it where to go to select where documents is.

Just pm me If you have any questions. I had this problem after an AGS mishap as well and I am not good at explaining evidently!
Trainee Moderator
#11 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 11:01 AM
I guess AnyGameStarter has messed up your Registry entries, that's why you cannot install M&G stuff anymore.. fixing the paths over there should make M&G install-able again.

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
Go to start if you are on 7, and right click Documents in the list, and see if the location of documents checked goes to the right location, if it doesn't if there is another documents listed, see if it is the proper pathway (c:/username/documents for instance) and make sure it is the selected one instead. If not, you will have to tell it where to go to select where documents is.Jand see if the location of documents checked goes to the right location, if it doesn't if there is another documents listed, see if it is the proper pathway (c:/username/documents for instance) and make sure it is the selected one instead. If not, you will have to tell it where to go to select where documents is.

Just pm me If you have any questions. I had this problem after an AGS mishap as well and I am not good at explaining evidently!

Thanks - I will do that. :lovestruc

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 4:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
I guess AnyGameStarter has messed up your Registry entries, that's why you cannot install M&G stuff anymore.. fixing the paths over there should make M&G install-able again.

I had hopped that installing M&G would CREATE the right path. So yea, the issue is HOW to create the right path

Trainee Moderator
#14 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 10:19 PM
I don't know how to fix it manually but I know you can copy pre-existing entries to replace the current ones... maybe this one is helpful?
https://www.regfiles.net/registry/the-sims-2-registry

But I have NO experience in things like that... so I don't want you to do things which just HARMS more and more...
Please, do a backup of your registry first. https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-bac...egistry-2625146

My Simblr
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 7th Apr 2018 at 1:38 PM
@grammapat
Do you have a file in C:\Users\[Your Username]\Documents\AnyGameStarter\AppFiles called Sims2_Full.reg?

If so, try running that. It's where AGS stores your original game setup keys.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Apr 2018 at 5:27 PM
I would not have that, as I have removed AGS
Jawusa: I looked at those, but that's a job for someone who knows what they are doing...