Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#276 Old 12th May 2015 at 11:19 PM
This is very outdated and very inaccurate information and this is why I have chosen not to post my help files on modthesims.info, Kayinwonderland. I have up-to-date information on The Sims 2 (tm) Ultimate Collection posted at https://www.facebook.com/TheSims2WithWindows8 and the Yuku BBS (linked on the Facebook page), which was where the installation was originally posted and taken from without my permission. You will absolutely need to change the compatibility to Windows XP SP3 in order for the game to work on a 64 bit system, for starters. Windows 8 long ago updated automatically to Windows 8.1 and most people have been trying to work around the 64 bit issue, which was an issue with Windows 7, as well. Computers are very temperamental little devices. You will find that if you decide to pick and choose which of my advice to follow, your game might decide to pick and choose which things to do, like not recording videos or screenshots of your gameplay when you want it to do so.

I play The Sims 2 in Windows 8. Maybe if you all had been a little nicer to me in the past, I'd tell you how I got it to work now because some of you seem to be having problems with it. Funny how the tables are turned, aren't they? I love Simming with Windows 8 - it works great!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#277 Old 12th May 2015 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by articfoxpup
Maybe this was stated in an earlier thread and I didn't see it, but for me, the install worked fine using Grumpy Loader and compatibility mode and I was able to play it immediately following the install, however, now it won't run. Every time I try to start it, the autorun crashes. Tried right clicking and using run as administrator, but still didn't work. Any suggestions?

Go to my page and check the latest thread. The solution is there.

I play The Sims 2 in Windows 8. Maybe if you all had been a little nicer to me in the past, I'd tell you how I got it to work now because some of you seem to be having problems with it. Funny how the tables are turned, aren't they? I love Simming with Windows 8 - it works great!
Test Subject
#278 Old 15th May 2015 at 5:15 PM
This thread been going on for years...I had a windows laptop with Windows 7 on it and I also had an Intel graphics card (I think?), but anyway Sims 2 worked with it. So I don't understand unless Sims 2 is not compatible with most of the Intel graphic cards.
Test Subject
#279 Old 16th May 2015 at 12:25 AM
I thank you that was really useful... I was going crazy!
Test Subject
#280 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kayinwonderland
It looks as if the Sims 2 don't work to a lot of People. It mostly crashes during creating the Family or in gameplay.
It was the same for me but with the help of marshabruenig and Mootilda it finally worked for me and I want to share the solution for me

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
  1. All of your Sims CDs/DVDs
  2. All Sims Patches (Can be found here )
  3. Grumpy Loader (Can be found here )
  4. A lot of nerves and chocolate ^^
  5. The right Hardware! (Mostly Intel HD Graphic Cards do not work with the Sims nd they are in most of the new Laptops! I asked my Computer shop if the computer I am about to buy is compatible with the Sims 2)

WHAT TO DO
  1. Save all of your Downloads, Neighbourhoods and all the other stuff you want to keep
  2. Uninstall all your Sims 2 EP's and the base game
  3. Restart your PC (I am not sure if it is needed but I did it)
  4. place your games in the right order next to your PC (it is easier this way)
    Here is the order that The Sims 2 HAVE TO BE installed in:

5. [While sorting your games download the Patches you need for your game
  6. put the disk in your Computer but do not run autoplay immediately! Click with the left mouse button on your drive -> select "open" -> look for Autoplay -> click with your left mouse button on it -> select "Settings" -> click on "Compatibility" -> Select "Run in compatibility mode -> chose XP Service Pack 2 (this is ESSENTIAL! Do not choose XP SP 3 like recommended)
  7. Click on Autoplay to install it
  8. Directly after Installing a game open the Grumpy Loader (before opening set the compatibility on XP SP2, like I described above) and install the Patch, that belongs to the Game/EP you just installed, by clicking on 'load' and choose it (It may says that there is a Error and asks if you want to ignore it. Click on YES)
  9. Repeat the steps 5 & 6 for every EP. (I installed 3 EPs, tested the game for 30 min to check if it works and installed another 3)
  10. Before playing the game set the compatibilty of the EP (icon on your desktop) (Like I described in Step 5) and put you Downloads and neighbourhoods back in the Sims 2 folder
  11. If it still not work try this

Thanks a lot to marshabruenig and Mootilda, who supported me with their knowledge. And thanks to my brave Sim Milly Test (Who died because she became a Vampire and spent to much time outside. May she rest in peace)

If there are any questions: feel free to ask them

IF YOU COPY THIS TEXT: PLEASE CREDIT!

Gracias very much!! i was in tears that it coudnt work! but thank you so much!!!
Lab Assistant
#281 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 12:34 AM
I had no problems downloading Sims2 on desktop windows 8 because I did do the patches. I do have one problem that I can't figure out. All of my sims have black rectangles under their feet where ever they walk, especially in the buildings. I am getting used to it but is weird. Anyone know how to fix this?
Top Secret Researcher
#282 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 4:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lharlamert
I had no problems downloading Sims2 on desktop windows 8 because I did do the patches. I do have one problem that I can't figure out. All of my sims have black rectangles under their feet where ever they walk, especially in the buildings. I am getting used to it but is weird. Anyone know how to fix this?

I had the same problem.
In the settings of the game you can change the shadow of the sim/object from high to medium.
It worked for me.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Lab Assistant
#283 Old 12th Aug 2015 at 1:43 AM
thanks lientebollemeis. I will try it
Test Subject
#284 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 7:03 PM
Sooooo, will this work for Windows 10? Life isn't worth living without TS2 8[

there is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of high-explosive projectiles.
Lab Assistant
#285 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 9:24 AM
Default i know whats your issue Running Sims 2 on 8/8.1/10
It looks as if the Sims 2 don't work to a lot of People. It mostly crashes during creating the Family or in gameplay.
It was the same for me but with the help of marshabruenig and Mootilda it finally worked for me and I want to share the solution for me

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
  1. All of your Sims CDs/DVDs
  2. All Sims Patches (Can be found here )
  3. Grumpy Loader (Can be found here )
  4. A lot of nerves and chocolate ^^
  5. The right Hardware! (Mostly Intel HD Graphic Cards do not work with the Sims nd they are in most of the new Laptops! I asked my Computer shop if the computer I am about to buy is compatible with the Sims 2)

WHAT TO DO
  1. Save all of your Downloads, Neighbourhoods and all the other stuff you want to keep
  2. Uninstall all your Sims 2 EP's and the base game
  3. Restart your PC (I am not sure if it is needed but I did it)
  4. place your games in the right order next to your PC (it is easier this way)
    Here is the order that The Sims 2 HAVE TO BE installed in:

5. [While sorting your games download the Patches you need for your game
  6. put the disk in your Computer but do not run autoplay immediately! Click with the left mouse button on your drive -> select "open" -> look for Autoplay -> click with your left mouse button on it -> select "Settings" -> click on "Compatibility" -> Select "Run in compatibility mode -> chose XP Service Pack 2 (this is ESSENTIAL! Do not choose XP SP 3 like recommended)
  7. Click on Autoplay to install it
  8. Directly after Installing a game open the Grumpy Loader (before opening set the compatibility on XP SP2, like I described above) and install the Patch, that belongs to the Game/EP you just installed, by clicking on 'load' and choose it (It may says that there is a Error and asks if you want to ignore it. Click on YES)
  9. Repeat the steps 5 & 6 for every EP. (I installed 3 EPs, tested the game for 30 min to check if it works and installed another 3)
  10. Before playing the game set the compatibilty of the EP (icon on your desktop) (Like I described in Step 5) and put you Downloads and neighbourhoods back in the Sims 2 folder
  11. If it still not work try this

Thanks a lot to marshabruenig and Mootilda, who supported me with their knowledge. And thanks to my brave Sim Milly Test (Who died because she became a Vampire and spent to much time outside. May she rest in peace)

If there are any questions: feel free to ask them

IF YOU COPY THIS TEXT: PLEASE CREDIT!

I actliy know your Issue. You actliy need to instaill a Graphics rule. Heres the link to this page for the graphics rule. Follow the steps and you should be running in no time.

Link: http://leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446

I hope it works.
Test Subject
#286 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 1:47 PM
Uh that is crap :/ I checked it before buying because I heard : Don't buy any Laptop with Intel HD Graphic it is not compatible with older games like the sims
Then how did it work on my laptop? (it has intel core i3 , 4gigs of ram and Intel HD Graphics 4400)
Also these problems might come when upgrading , so when a new verison of windows comes out you need to download the driver for that Version -_- .
Test Subject
#287 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 1:48 PM
Default It will work dont worry.
Quote: Originally posted by sweetlilpsycho

It will i upgraded and it works but you need to download new drivers
Test Subject
#288 Old 27th Oct 2015 at 2:45 AM
Well I am going to have to reinstall Sims 2 tomorrow on my new laptop. It has Windows 8.1 and the Intel HD graphics card I JUST noticed that now...I will follow the instructions to see if it works for me. I pray that it does. I had most of my data transferred from my other laptop since the HD was fine, the motherboard just failed.
Test Subject
#289 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 3:14 PM Last edited by RAF1172 : 7th Feb 2016 at 9:34 PM.
Ok, I recently upgraded to a Win10 desktop. What's the surefire way to install and run the game? And what config files do I need to alter? This is my wife's one and favorite Sims game and would like for her to be able to play it again. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to add, I'm trying to install from original CD/DVD's.
Test Subject
#290 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 6:11 AM
I used Sims2 Deluxe and didn't have to do all that stuff, I just put it on and the rest of the disks went on smothly. I just need to know one thing, since I used Suims2 Deluxe, where do I put the text for the stairs?
You know when you get the stairs, there is text that comes with them, I tried putting it in scripts, in sims2 deluxe folder and it made my game crash. Do you know where I can put them/
Test Subject
#291 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 6:12 AM
By the way I am using Windows 7 Professional and it seems to ge running fine, just make sure you have the correct graphics card.
Lab Assistant
#292 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 8:14 AM
if the steps outlined on here don't work there IS another way if you have one or more sims 2 CDs (the more you have the more luck you will get IMHO)

and NO it's not a "long john silver" way.

if you have the disks and the books that came with them (the one that had the codes for the game) or have bought a sims 2 game through origin there IS a way.

And I don't CARE if anyone on here has a problem with it. It's a perfectly legit way to do this.

What you do is go onto the origin/ea games support website (you can google it if need be) log in (if need be) and start a support ticket and select online chat.

then when the chat is answered simply explain that you missed out on the promo for Ultimate Collection but you do have (how ever many you own) sims 2 packs with the codes for them and could they give you UC if you give them one or more codes to prove ou have sims 2 already/played sims 2/baught packs for sims 2

chances are if you get a sweet helper the answer will be "YES!"
Field Researcher
#293 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 9:44 AM
Default Windows 10 (and likely 8) method using discs that works for me
Quote: Originally posted by sweetlilpsycho

Know this is old, but want to share what has worked for me, using Windows 10, in case others are still having issues.
I am using an HP laptop, AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, 2.00 GHZ, 4.00GB of RAM, 64-bit OS. So far, I have installed, via discs, The Sims 2 Holiday Edition, University Life, Nightlife, and Best of Business. The steps I have taken work great thus far, and that''s without any patches. So, this could work for you. I have built, created sims, and played, all fine. Only issues I have noted are very minor - a slight stutter in music now and them when loading a family to play, and, when the game first loads, I have to ALT-TAB out and back in to see the neighborhood. Other than that, it's great. Mind you, this is the disc versions, NOT Origin. No idea if this method will work on that or not, as I have no intention of ever using Origin again. Waiting on some discs is why the rest arent installed yet.

Anyway, the method I located is this. I did this for the base and every expansion/stuff pack.

Load the disc, and go to it in "This PC", then look for the "AutoRun.exe". Double-click that to install. Once done, go to the icon for that disc on your desktop, and right-click, then select Properties". From that window, go to the "Compatibility" tab, and check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", then select Windows 98/ME in the drop-down menu. Next, check the box for "Reduced color mode", and select 8-bit (256) color. Finally, check the box for "Run this program as an administrator." Doing that, it loaded and runs great, save for those two minor points. If you are using discs, this ought to work for you. Credit to Dawnrunner879103 here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-2...ght/false#M9923 - for the method. Trying to share as many places as possible, because I know there are others who still love TS2 as much as I do.

Hope this helps some other players. Stated to work on Window(s) 8, so those still having issues might have some luck.
Forum Resident
#294 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 11:34 AM
Has anyone tried using an application transfer program?

I found this one: http://www.easeus.com/free-pc-transfer-software/ after looking here at this http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...w-pc-windows-10.

I have not done this myself. But I was thinking what if a person does not have all of their CD's and cannot get more? What if Sims 2 CD get to old scratched or broken? Would it be possilbe to use a transfer program instead?

Much Talk Digress Below This Point

I might experiment.

For me in my house I have my own old PC Dell using Windows Vista. I was so happy with Vista I did not get the free MS upgrade to Win7 and it has expired. Now it is to expensive for the retail version of Win7 if one such is left to exist. Instead there is for $60 only the OEM Win7 for sale everywhere. And I never did understand the difference in an OEM that makes it not good to use for self owned PC's (that is another discussion altogether). But I am told to be scared that my drivers would not update if I tried to move from Vista to Win7 and again from Win7 to Win10 (before the MS offer of free Win10 runs out this summer 2016). Note that Vista cannot upgrade to Win10 or any other version except Win7 - this MS has made a fact and law. Along with MS declairing Vista outcast as XP so now all new games being sold will not support Vista anymore and I am in dispair.

Also in my house but not belonging to me there is another computer piece of junk HewPackard from Walmart crappy secretary pc. It had Win7 that it came with but I upgraded it with ease to Win10 no problems. Probably doesn't even have drivers, stupid over the counter cheap junk. My raging because IT WAS NOT UPGRADABLE. It had no slot for a new graphic card! I forget sometimes on these Sims forums that you all think I only play TS2 and nothing else then you all chastise me for my rants. I am a gamer of all games not just this one. I am - EEP - an mmo'er! That is online games for those who do not know. So that is why I rant not because I cannot get TS2 to run but because I have to get servers to run also.

I could try to expirament moving EA TS2 with transfer software program instead of installing via disks. Maybe use what I put in the link above. Transfer from my Dell (Win Vista) to that HP (Win10) just to see if it would work. Then no need of installing with CD's etc at all?
Test Subject
#295 Old 11th Dec 2016 at 1:57 PM
Ever since I got a new computer with Win8 (now 2 years old, notebook Dell inspirion 17 5000 series) I tried to get my Sims2 to work.

I have Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Family Fun Stuff, Glamor Stuff and Pets. All bought shorty after release, so they are old CD's.

I had some success up to nightlife but nothing after that.

Two weeks ago I got the impulse to try again. I discovered that the different hardware and possibly OEM programs that affect how Win8 works play a big role in successfully installing the game. This solution worked for me, it may or may not work for you.

If I attempted to install Sims2 ( 4 cd set ) into anything other than default location ( Program Files (x86 )), Disk 1 would install, but no matter what compatibility mode I chose, after inserting disk 2 the computer sat, and sat and did nothing! { my personal preference is to install programs in their own folder outside the windows folder} So I bite the bullet and accepted default location.

Some of this may sound redundant, but it worked. Use the OP as a guide.

Original Game

Use XP service pack 2 for compatibility mode. Insert disk 1 of the Sims 2 (original game) into drive. Open/Explore the disk. Right click on Autorun.exe select compatibility mode-XP service pack 2. Do the same for the setup.exe .

Use grumpyloader and install patch (see original post).

University and Nightlife

Use XP service pack 2 for compatibility mode. Insert disk 1 of the expansion into drive. Open/Explore the disk. Right click on Autorun.exe select compatibility mode-XP service pack 2. Do the same for the Sims2EP(x).exe (find this in TSBin folder)

Patch each expansion using grumpyloader before installing next expansion.

Double check the shortcut compatibility of the desktop icon ( XP service pack 2)

The game should run.

Open For Business and later.

Same as above Except when you check the icon compatibility mode UNCHECK the run in compatibility mode box.

This worked for me, I can't say it will work past pets.

Game Play Issues:

Any pie menu with MORE section takes more than 1 click to access second page.

Using cheat codes:

Control+Shift+C opens cheat box ( so far I have only used moveObjects, can't vouch for others ), but it won't close. I had to save game then reopen the neighborhood.
Test Subject
#296 Old 3rd Jan 2017 at 4:54 AM Last edited by Brief : 4th Jan 2017 at 12:35 AM.
Is there any fixes for Windows 10 Sims 2 Ultimate Collection? I would really like to play this game without it crashing after loading CAS. I originally thought the problem with my CAS was downloading default CC and deleting it, but I began to realize whenever I use the fit body type and click on a hair or head the game will crash. Is there anyway to fix this?
Test Subject
#297 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 2:37 AM Last edited by ManGa_Ka : 25th Jul 2017 at 6:30 PM.
Nothing works for me except i set compability to win98 or win95 or town crash when loading. If you set win95 or win98 then town is loading but you will see black screen when its done loading. Just go to desktop ALT+TAB, then turn back to your game. Now its working and no crashes.

If you dont see compability tab and search compability gives you nothing below vista, then change compability of launcher and it works.

Note: your custom content may not works in win95 or win98 compability. But thats the only way game opens in my computer.
Field Researcher
#298 Old 20th May 2018 at 3:04 AM Last edited by Kunder : 7th Jun 2018 at 11:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by cmarie87
Well this is just awesome. My laptop has the Intel HD Graphics... what a bummer. I'm still going to give it a shot, though, since I just don't get how I used to play TS2 on my netbook, but can't play it on this more advanced machine. Ugh I am going to pull my hair out... been playing Sim City 4 and I am bored with it. I just want my sims back!
With the right graphics rules, and TEXTURE rules, HD graphics, Intel HD 4400 and up will run Sims 2 just fine. If you want to run Sims 2 on HD4000 graphics, you need to make SURE you have a fast Hard drive, at LEAST 7200rpm. Any SSD works best. Otherwise, it will "stutter", or pause frequently. VERY annoying!

You might want to run your game DVD/CD from a virtual drive with Daemon tools. works fine.

You may also try running it w/out a swapfile.
Test Subject
#299 Old 30th May 2018 at 11:46 PM Last edited by Dnsouthldy : 30th May 2018 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Mispell
Default Running on win 8
I run compatibility mode for xp2 on win 8, have geforce GT-740 graphics card. Since installing this card, I am having problems with this computer dropping files. My son, a techie, seems to think I may need a faster processor. Anyway, I have beautiful graphics, and no problems with the games loading.
Field Researcher
#300 Old 5th Jun 2018 at 2:25 AM Last edited by Kunder : 14th Jun 2018 at 12:51 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Dnsouthldy
I run compatibility mode for xp2 on win 8, have geforce GT-740 graphics card. Since installing this card, I am having problems with this computer dropping files. My son, a techie, seems to think I may need a faster processor. Anyway, I have beautiful graphics, and no problems with the games loading.
@Dnsouthldy

What Processor, and graphics do you have? How much ram?
I feel, you should have at LEAST 8gb/RAM, and NO swapfile, seems to work best. Sims don't recognize 8gb/RAM, but your COMPUTER does. It gives your computer, and everything it does in the background, room to breathe, while running Sims2.

Try running "Bareback"(no compatibility mode/not as Administrator) with Windows 8.1.
Try running your Sims DVD/CD, with a Daemon Tools, "Virtual drive".
If you have 8gb/RAM or better, try running without a swap file.

Actually, the 4thGen, i5/i7 QuadCore CPU's, with HD4600 graphics, seems to be a real, "sweet spot" for running Sims 2. Newer nVidia cards don't like Sims 2 much. They run much better on the HD graphics, in newer machines.

I consider the Lenovo ThinkPad T440p, with a Quad Core i7-4700mq, nVidia 730, OR HD4600, Windows 8.1, and 8-16gb/RAM to be the best "Simming" machine, you can get. Add a Solid State Drive, and you'll be more than happy with it!
This is he best setup I've found yet.

On one of my systems, I run Windows 8.1, and my Sims work just fine with nVidia NVS 4200m/Intel® Core™ i7-2640M (2.9GHz), and 8/16gbRAM on the low end.

One of my machines has nVidia, GTX950 graphics, and I have to run Sims 2 on the HD530 graphics, until I figure out what the problem is with the nVidia graphics/Sims 2 mix.
Page 12 of 13