Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 6:11 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default game running
I have one last concern. I did use the cheats to create 7 floors, and a roof for Hogwarts. The castle will have a lot of furniture and decorations. I'm also going to use cheats to add 6 Slytherin students, 7 Hufflepuff students, 6 Gryffindor students, 7 Ravenclaw students, and four teachers. My concern is with the "eight" Floors, the objects, and about 30 sims, how well do you think that lot will run? like maybe how slow will the sims move?
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 6:29 PM
Depends on your system - the more RAMs, processing resources and high end graphics card (with its own memory), the better.

You could try Inge's (Simlogical) boarding school - might help with controlling the behaviour of your teachers and students.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#3 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 6:41 PM
I don't see what prevents you from posting that concern in your already existing thread. I know for a fact you've been asked in the past to keep things about one thing in one thread, so I will remind you once again that you should not make a new thread for every single thing you want to ask.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 10:28 PM
Please gummilutt give the boy a chance! I'm sure David is trying to stick to the rules now, and
(1) this thread is on a slightly different topic to his last one, and
(2) very unusually in Sims 2 Discussion, his last thread has so far no replies at all, so to post again in it could count as a double post.
David Poston is still quite new to posting here and I admit it's often not clear to me whether a question justifies a new thread or whether I should just post in Stupid / Random Questions. Personally I try to estimate how much interest a topic is likely to arouse, but it's easy to get it wrong. As a rough guide, a topic that really only concerns my own game probably belongs in Stupid / Random Questions, a more general subject on which different members are likely to have different views probably justifies it's own thread.

David, having said all that, gummilutt is probably right. It would probably have been better to raise both topics in Stupid / Random Questions. I'm sorry your last thread on Sims 2 limits hasn't got any replies yet. To be honest I didn't feel I'd properly understood it, and thought I didn't know the answer anyway. Do you mean there's a limit to the total number of wall sections you can have on one lot? By building an 8-storey castle on a (presumably) very large lot, you may have run into limits that most of us are never likely to see. I think my little netbook would throw up its hands in horror if I tried anything like that. I'm sure it would run very slowly, if at all, on my system. But if you have a powerful dedicated games computer it might work ok for you. You may just have to try it and see.

Another thing that would bother me is the question of how I could cope myself with trying to keep track of 30 Sims spread over 8 floors. I found the Summerdreams' house hard enough to play when they had their party. It was hard to keep track of where everybody was.

Anyway the castle sounds interesting. Maybe you could post a picture in an appropriate thread in the Pictures Forum. Best of luck!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 10:41 PM
If that was my game it would play as slowly as molasses and probably crash at some point. If you have seen my school-it's here for upload. I would play that with about 20 students and 2 teachers and it would be somewhat slow but okay, but it had a tendency to crash. Luckily it never seemed to corrupt anything but it's always a possibility so make sure you keep a copy of your lot.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 10:42 PM
You misunderstood. I am not asking David Poston to post in Stupid questions (although that would have been the correct place for both threads), I am merely asking that follow-up question on the same project be posted in the first thread. I completely understand that from time to time it is hard to tell in which forum something belongs, or if it merits it's own thread, but this seems pretty simple to me.

David is not new. He has been told how to post and where to post time and time again, and has not improved, at all. You can't use new as an excuse forever. Being new does not prevent you from reading, nor does it prevent your neurons from processing the data you read. One can't be expected to do right on the first try, but on the fifty-eleventh I think it is reasonable to expect some improvement.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 10:46 PM
Well maybe deleting some other lots or sims, or whatever might help you think?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 10:50 PM
No, no no! Deleting sims is how you break your game, unless you do it very, very carefully and properly.

Unless you know how to do it right, with SimPE and all, NEVER delete sims.

As far as if it will run, that depends on your system. I wouldn't try it on mine--30 sims lags a bit, never tried such a huge lot. How good's your gaming rig?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 10:54 PM
Never ever delete sims or urns, never move sims between hoods or place occupied houses with living or dead sims into the house bin. All cause instant corruption.

Deleting sim or lots will have no effect on that particular lot. Probably has more to do with how many gigs of RAM you have. I have 4 but I would like to have 8.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 10:55 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 30th Aug 2013 at 11:06 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by David Poston
Well maybe deleting some other lots or sims, or whatever might help you think?
Don't delete Sims whatever you do! That corrupts the 'hood.

[EDIT] Sunbee and Jo beat me to it, but you get the message!!

As for deleting lots, as far as I can tell the game only loads the lot being played, so I don't think deleting other lots will help a big lot to run faster. (More experienced Simmers can correct me if I'm wrong.) It might make a slight difference in neighbourhood view, but not when you're actually playing the lot.

And don't ever delete a lot with graves (or urns) on it. That's the same as deleting Sims.
Site Helper
#11 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 2:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
As for deleting lots, as far as I can tell the game only loads the lot being played, so I don't think deleting other lots will help a big lot to run faster. (More experienced Simmers can correct me if I'm wrong.) It might make a slight difference in neighbourhood view, but not when you're actually playing the lot.
If you have the Lot View Options - Neighbors option turned on, then other lots in the neighborhood might slow down your current lot. Otherwise, I agree that deleting other lots in your neighborhood isn't going to help very much.
how well do you think that lot will run? like maybe how slow will the sims move?
I would never play a lot that large on my computer. However, you have a different computer and you may have more patience with lagging than I do.
I have one last concern.
To me, this statement is the one that indicates that this issue belongs in your previous thread. It sounds like you think that I've been following all of your threads and that I can actually remember your issues. In that case, it probably all belongs in one thread.
Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 6:57 PM
Um, how am I supposed to know whether an item in the sims resource is pay or not? I'm trying today to sign up. Once I do, how do I know what's safe, to download, or for pay?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 7:09 PM
Well, if it's a pay item, there should be a price somewhere obvious. Even if not, payment comes before download, so if you don't pay, you won't be able to download until you do.

Not that any of that matters, if all you're after is Sims 2 stuff, which is free on TSR, as of several months ago.
Alchemist
#14 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 9:33 PM Last edited by applefeather2 : 31st Aug 2013 at 9:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
... Sims 2 stuff, which is free on TSR, as of several months ago.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks, Darby!
ETA: Of course now I'm going to go nuts downloading hair!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 9:54 PM
Make sure your antivirus scans anything form there carefully- just saying.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 10:09 PM
I've had a lot that was 18 levels high (as much as the computer I had back then could support) and it was an apartment lot. It lagged gloriously, but it never did crash. I think you're good.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Alchemist
#17 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 11:35 AM
18 levels high. That is some accomplishment, DS.
Inventor
Original Poster
#18 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 6:17 PM Last edited by David Poston : 1st Sep 2013 at 7:02 PM.
Does anyone know a website that has the hunchback of notre dame downloads? Mod the sims, and the sims resource have about nothing. Also could someone please tell me how to take and post pictures here? I would LOVE to show you Hogwarts when it's done!
Site Helper
#19 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 9:31 PM
Does anyone know a website that has the hunchback of notre dame downloads?
That's what the WCIF forum is for.

could someone please tell me how to take and post pictures here? I would LOVE to show you Hogwarts when it's done!
You can post pictures in the pictures forum:
http://www.modthesims.info/fd.php?f=566

The first subforum in that forum contains tutorials about how to take and post pictures. Hopefully that will answer all of your questions.
http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=581
Inventor
Original Poster
#20 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 12:06 AM
Can someone please tell me how to download from sims2fashion.de?
Scholar
#21 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 12:10 AM
Posting your question on two different threads isn't going to get you an answer any faster hon...be patient & maybe someone who knowd will come along to tell you...in the meantime, check the graveyard or the booty. If the site you are looking for is dead, good chance some of their stuff might be there.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 3:04 AM
It amazes and stupefies me that a few people can do the same thing, over and over, and often with Attitude, and some people are still making excuses for them. Truly, trolls and goblins exist.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Inventor
Original Poster
#23 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 8:08 PM
I did find the sims2 fashion.de in the sims 2 graveyard! But does it have everything? Because for what I wanted, it showed no mesh, just that a download was required from the sims2fashion.de. So do I download everything, and hope what I need turns up?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 10:23 PM
That took some finding, might be helpful to say it's under biene. There is a list of meshes there, if you have no idea which one I guess you could try them all. What is this thing you you after? Is it worth the hassle? If it's some really old site it probably isn't. You really don't want 30 or more odd meshes cluttering up your download folder.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#25 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 10:35 PM
I don't think you can guarantee that a range of CC from a defunct website on the graveyard is complete, as the graveyard is really dependent on simmers sending these things to them. All told I think they are doing a wonderful job trying to keep this stuff from dead websites available, but I know how frustrating it can be finding an item of clothing you like and then finding the link to the necessary mesh doesn't work. Can I ask what the mesh is for? If it's for something here on MTS, then it's worth carefully reading through all the comments: often someone has posted a link to a new location where you still can get the mesh. Sometimes I've followed several broken links before I find one that does work.

Whether you 'll succeed by downloading all the sims2fashion.de stuff from the graveyard and hoping the item you want is amongst it I can't say. You may just end up with your downloads folder clogged up with stuff you don't want. Back up your game before you try it.

I do wish that creators (especially of meshes) would consider not making their policies too restrictive. It is easier for downloaders if the mesh can be included in the .zip/.rar for any recolour that uses it. Making people go to an external site for it causes problem in a couple of years time when the external site has gone, the recolour is now unusable, and both creators (of the mesh and of the recolour) have moved on to other things, and are no longer interested in their Sims 2 creations.
Page 1 of 3