Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 8:44 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default The Mysterious Crashing! Or, My Game Is Falling Apart Again!
Alright, so if you know me here, you know about the Grim Reaper incident. If you don't, well, what happened was I added Grim to my household. Lesson learned, and new computer. Unfortunately, I seem to be having crashing issues again! The game crashes at about 65% (I can't remember what the loading screen dialogue is at the moment) and I get the stupid "The application has crashed. The program will now terminate." or whatever. I can tell you some important things:

1. No NPCs have been made to suffer living with my annoying sims
2. I removed what mods I thought were causing the crash, but it still crashes
3. In SimPE, I discovered two of my sims that I made in-game have no character data

Yes, you read that correctly. Two sims I made in the game suddenly have no character data. I was playing with them, right until one play session before the crashing. You see, I went into SimPE to try to edit a mod, but I failed to find the values/objects I wanted to modify, so I didn't save. I decided to do something else, so I went to try to copy the aforementioned pair's appearances. But I couldn't... I went to the sim browser, and bam! No character data. Wait, what? How does this happen? Is this the cause of the crashing?! I don't want to sit through reinstalling!
Advertisement
Space Pony
Original Poster
#2 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 8:46 PM Last edited by Airazor65 : 26th Oct 2018 at 2:11 AM.
Default Specs
------------------
System Information
------------------
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 12:00 AM
Can you please put the computer information behind spoiler tags? [spoiler] your text here [*spoiler] Replace the * with a /

Apart from not messing with universal sims have you done any hood breaking activities?

delete all character cheat
Moved sims between hoods
Move an occupied (sims or graves) lot into the bin
deleted sims

Doing any of the above with the game tools will corrupt your hood and the sims in it.
Next, do you have on the 4gb patch and the graphic rules done? Check the sticky threads for more information.
Do you have Hood Checker? if not download and run it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 1:44 AM
Deleting? As in grabbing them with the buy tool and deleting? But they will be back at the house next time you load.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Space Pony
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 2:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Can you please put the computer information behind spoiler tags? [spoiler] your text here [*spoiler] Replace the * with a /

Apart from not messing with universal sims have you done any hood breaking activities?

delete all character cheat
Moved sims between hoods
Move an occupied (sims or graves) lot into the bin
deleted sims

Doing any of the above with the game tools will corrupt your hood and the sims in it.
Next, do you have on the 4gb patch and the graphic rules done? Check the sticky threads for more information.
Do you have Hood Checker? if not download and run it.

No, I've been careful to not. I don't understand why things are going wrong. Of course, I still have an error when I try to travel by car, shuttle, taxi, or carpool. That sounds like a sign of corruption. I hope its not. I've also been considering using the 4GB patch.
Instructor
#6 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 2:34 AM
Are you on Ultimate Collection or CD's. Also, which EP's do you have up to. If you are on CD's, the 4GB patch will not work. I tried it and my memory for the game still reads 2048GB (if the patch works it would go up to 4096GB). No one as of yet nor by my searching have I found a way to increase it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 3:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Deleting? As in grabbing them with the buy tool and deleting? But they will be back at the house next time you load.

No, that's reseting.

Deleting sims means from the sim bin which shreds their data.

@suzymarie64 the 4gb patch works perfectly well for disks, that is what I am on. If it isn't working for you, it's for some other reason.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 7:09 AM
Does it crash while the game is loading, or while the neighborhood is loading? If the former, it's probably unrelated to your sims and can be fixed by reinstalling the game (save your neighborhoods first). In any case, it appears that your neighborhood is also corrupted, so you will probably have to restore it from a backup.

Although... When you look up your sims character files in SimPE, do they end with .package.1? That just means that the sims have two character files with the data split between them, which is fine and not corruption, but SimPE will not be able to find the information stored in the other character file (the game will do just fine).
Scholar
#9 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 3:08 PM
actually it's more important what the game see than the whole DXDiag spaghetti list.

Put please within the spoilers content of $Documents/EA Games/[Sims2folder]/logs/[computer_name]-config-log.txt

put real names within the brackets ('[' ']') instead placeholders

it's possible you've messed someting up, happens, try a clean run (rename your EAGames folder and run the game again, it will recreate the defaults)

A a general advices:
- the game needs to be run with "admin" level, obviously;
- you need to adjust the graphicsrules files [ http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6888 ]
- you need to apply the "4GB patch"

(copy the game executable to desktop, apply the patch, copy it back to game folder overwritting existing one, save the backup somewhere safe, the "admin account" isn't the "real admin" level in Windows > Vista, that's why sometimes UAC dissalows admin user to mess around default protected folders like Program Files, Windows etc)

- play with compatibility mode - sometimes it helps, sometimes not

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 5:21 PM
Have you tried removing your downloads folder altogether and starting the game that way? Have you moved ALL the files over to your new computer? My most recent catastrophe happened because I moved all the hoods, but didn't move the program files that had my custom shopping hoods in them.

If you have UC and DON'T have a backup, try removing your downloads, neighborhoods, terrains, and lot catalog, saving them on your desktop. Then start the game and let the files regenerate.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#11 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 6:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
- the game needs to be run with "admin" level, obviously

I also have Sims 2 on disks and run Windows 64 Professional. I only run my game from a "standard user account." I have not ever run my game from an "admin level" and it works just fine. Running the game from an administrator account may be helpful if there's a problem running the game, but it's not normally necessary.
Scholar
#12 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 6:59 PM
The only thing with the "run as administrator" is that allows the particular process (and its descendants in normal circumstances) to bypass UAC restrictions for common account (e.g access to folders or files which from the process normally would be shrugged off). It's completely depending of UAC settings and these may (or may not) differs from one systems' installment to another. It's fine, you do not need that, though many other does.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Space Pony
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 10:18 PM
Well, I have my game on CDs and... I didn't know the patch wouldn't work. I've already applied the patch and set the memory exception. It still crashes at the loading screen. Even though it has an exception rule, it still terminates. I don't have a config log, but I do have user props. I have implemented the Graphics Rule Maker, and it was working just fine up until the crashing. And of course, I've ALWAYS run the game as an admin. Oh my gosh I'm sooooo frustrated!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 10:20 PM
Have you take ALL the downloads out and tried to run it vanilla? That's where you need to start.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Space Pony
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 10:24 PM
Default Will do!
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
actually it's more important what the game see than the whole DXDiag spaghetti list.

Put please within the spoilers content of $Documents/EA Games/[Sims2folder]/logs/[computer_name]-config-log.txt

put real names within the brackets ('[' ']') instead placeholders

it's possible you've messed someting up, happens, try a clean run (rename your EAGames folder and run the game again, it will recreate the defaults)

A a general advices:
- the game needs to be run with "admin" level, obviously;
- you need to adjust the graphicsrules files [ http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6888 ]
- you need to apply the "4GB patch"

(copy the game executable to desktop, apply the patch, copy it back to game folder overwritting existing one, save the backup somewhere safe, the "admin account" isn't the "real admin" level in Windows > Vista, that's why sometimes UAC dissalows admin user to mess around default protected folders like Program Files, Windows etc)

- play with compatibility mode - sometimes it helps, sometimes not

I will rename the folder and play it in compatibility mode and see how that goes. Might not work, but it's worth a go.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#16 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 11:00 PM
Ah, finally! And I didn't even have to put it in compatibility mode! No, I just have to figure out what download item is causing the crash. Oh, wait... there was a lot that I wondered about, but I don't know where to find it. Can someone help me with that?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 11:06 PM
Space Pony
Original Poster
#18 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 11:12 PM
I moved things around and there's two files in Teleport. What do I do with them?
Space Pony
Original Poster
#19 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 11:26 PM
Default Oh Well, It's Different
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
Have you tried removing your downloads folder altogether and starting the game that way? Have you moved ALL the files over to your new computer? My most recent catastrophe happened because I moved all the hoods, but didn't move the program files that had my custom shopping hoods in them.

If you have UC and DON'T have a backup, try removing your downloads, neighborhoods, terrains, and lot catalog, saving them on your desktop. Then start the game and let the files regenerate.

On the new computer, I actually started anew because I had no idea of what I could do at the time.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 11:30 PM
Also, the game finally works! I renamed the EA folder in my documents, launched the game, closed, and moved things back. I replaced some things with the newly-generated ones. I also used the regenerated kissingpoints.package, as I know that the file can cause problems when corrupted. Thanks everybody! I'm so happy! I wish I had a way to reciprocate, though! :/
Space Pony
Original Poster
#21 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 11:33 PM
Wait... everyone is gone! My sims are gone! What do I do?! I have at least one Neighborhood backed up, but...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 11:34 PM
if you have CC then of course you have to test that first. ( I assumed this was happening without any cc) If it's CC and you don't have things organized then it's the 50/50 Search. Grab chocolate a book and a clear day and tests. Not fun but most of us have done one or two or more over the past 14 years.

Files in the teleport folder are lots that you installed (or should be) the game moves them from teleport and into your game when you load up. If it's not, delete them and try installing the lot again. Although right now I would not be installing more items.

Are you on a Radeon card (sorry didn't look) be aware that AMD did this update that broke directX 9 games. (apparently, they thought it was time to end direct X 9 game support?!?) My game on my new computer would freeze rather than crash. It was from a window update plus the AMD update. I had to not only reinstall directX9 but I ended up having to buy a new graphics card, I bought a Nvidia. I won't be touching Radeon again. For me it was the amount of CC plus the other issues. I could not go above about 3 gigs of any CC without it freezing. It was not the CC because now that same CC, all 12 gigs of it works fine with my new Nvidia card.

~Call me Jo~
Space Pony
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 11:36 PM
Wait... The neighborhood packages... Got changed too, oh no! D:
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 11:41 PM
Also anti virus, is it turned on? if so turn it off. Make a test hood and try playing with it on, try a test hood with it turned off. You may need to tell it to leave all sims 2 files alone.

Another issue I had on a new computer some years ago was my anti virus attacked my game, sim ageing to be precise.

Are you reading my replies? I know this is stressful, but we will try and help you figure it out.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#25 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 9:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Airazor65
Also, the game finally works! I renamed the EA folder in my documents, launched the game, closed, and moved things back. I replaced some things with the newly-generated ones. I also used the regenerated kissingpoints.package, as I know that the file can cause problems when corrupted. Thanks everybody! I'm so happy! I wish I had a way to reciprocate, though! :/

Wait... everyone is gone! My sims are gone! What do I do?! I have at least one Neighborhood backed up, but...

Wait... The neighborhood packages... Got changed too, oh no! D:

When you renamed the EA folder, the game generated a new one. Everything in the new EA folder (neighborhoods, etc.) is like you just started a brand new game for the first time. Your old neighborhoods, characters, CC etc. are in the old EA folder that you re-named (which can now serve as a backup of your stuff ). Try copying your old neighborhoods into the new EA file.

If you have duplicates (for example an old Pleasantview and a new one in the new EA folder) then delete the new ones before copying the old ones over. DO NOT overwrite neighborhoods or you'll end up with a corrupted mess.

You may want to leave your old neighborhoods alone for now and just try copying some of your Downloads over a little at a time to make sure they work properly. Think of the new neighborhoods as test 'hoods - if one of your downloads breaks something, it's no big deal - you can just reset 'em again.
Page 1 of 2