Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Apr 2017 at 9:39 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life
Default The Sims 3 quits unexpectedly - I have tried everything
Hello! I am trying to not sound too frustrated, but I have had this struggle since Friday and I have worked on it since then. To put it simple: The Sims 3 is quitting unexpectedly. I have read so many solutions to this problem and I have tried absolutely everything but nothing works. I have followed all lists I could find. I got my games as a gift, and have played it so far on a Windows desktop. I know The Sims 3 quits and crashes sometimes, but this time it is going on my nerves, because it happens so often I am not able to play at all.
I have tried to fill out as much information about my gameplay and MacBook as I can, but if something is missing, let me know!
I have not missed a single step, so referring me to steps I have already tried will not help me at all (unless a smart sim out there believes trying it one last time will do).

I appreciate any help I can get! Thank you!
Here is what I have filled out:

Status of the Game Problem FAQ when you did the steps. Tell us what happens at each step.
Game still runs like before. Nicely for about 10 minutes, then it crashes. It just quits. No error message.

What game(s) do you have and what patch version is the Base Game at? See the FAQs linked above to find out your game versions and to check if you have the latest patch.
Game is updated. I own Ambitions, Late night, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons and University Life.
Version: 1.67.2.024017

Let us know if you have
attempted a FULL and clean uninstall?
◦ done DEP and confirm bypassing Launcher to start the game,
◦ repaired Permissions on a Mac, or used CCleaner on a PC,
◦ rebooted the system.

Yes 

Have you tweaked the Options.ini file as suggested? Yes
◦ At what point did the crash occur?
◦ At the initial loading screen?
◦ After you've chosen a Town or Save game? You've obviously tested with New game, but that was fine? If it only affects one Save file, but not others, and
especially if no crashing on new, vanilla games
▪ Get ErrorTrap from Twallan @NRaas Industries.

It does not matter what I do in game. It quits unexpectedly. I have played with and without “move objects on” and “testingcheatsenabled true”. Does not make a difference. I can barely manage to start a game before it quits. The times I have played for 20 minutes (no more), I have saved in different ways like suggested, kept sims inventory clean, and played in windowed mode. Graphics are set to low. My MacBook has only The Sims 3 installed (through Origin). MacBook is quite new and uses Sierra. I have tried with and without custom content. Makes no difference. 

What changed from before all this crashing happened, ie what patch (and what games combo) when last you had a crash-free game? Did you patch, add more CC, add a core mod, install an addon, updated the Operating System, updated drivers, updated your Security applications, etc?
I have not played a single game that has not crashed. I have done absolutely everything suggested, several times. 

If just patched, what patch version did you have before you experienced frequent crashing with this new patch version?

◦ If you need help in checking hardware or looking for updates, please post your System Specs.
◦ If you're on a PC: instructions in System Specs
◦ If you're on a Mac: click on About This Mac (top left corner of your screen) > More Info, and then copy + paste what it says there in Hardware Overview and Graphics. What version of OS X? Please state using the full numbers, ie 10.5.x or 10.6.x or 10.7.x? (complete with the last digit, of course)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
Processor 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

If this is the first time running Sims 3 on this machine or with this patch or with this addon or whatever, do let us know this fact when you post in your Help thread. This is the first time I have had The Sims 3 on my MacBook, but I have uninstalled and installed several times in the last few days.

If this is a new hardware, have you checked the sgr files as noted in Section C Qn.2?
I have tried everything and nothing works.

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 12:20 AM Last edited by igazor : 26th Apr 2017 at 12:47 AM.
It pains me to say this because I love TS3 and love Macs, but honestly the experience you are chasing down here is never going to be a good one and it's likely nothing that you have done wrong. TS3 for Mac is a mess, the way EA arranged it no more than 2 GB of RAM can be utilized by the game before graphics glitches, crashes, and Error12s happen no matter how much RAM the player has installed. Compounding that, the game is not designed to work with your Intel Iris 6100 Graphics chip (which is integrated and came out way after the game ended its development cycle, at least Macs with dedicated Nvidia and AMD graphics cards have a fighting chance here). Plus Sierra for your operating system is known to cough up hairballs on several of the EPs, although perhaps you don't have that issue yet as that would prevent your game from ever starting in the first place.

This is the only iteration of Sims for Mac that EA did this to as TS1, 2, and 4 were proper ports into the Mac operating system while TS3 was done as a broken Cider implementation and has been left broken since the beginning.

You might try posting on the Mac Discussions board of the EA official forums to see if the experts over there have any other advice for you, but again I wouldn't count on getting a very usable experience out of this game on that MacBook Pro.