Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 7:38 AM Last edited by Meuhmeuhcow : 22nd Mar 2018 at 8:57 AM. Reason: Fixed?

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Pets
Default CAW not using all available resources (ram/cpu/gpu) Fixed??
I'm wondering how to force CAW to realise it has more to use then what it's currently trying to use. I'm trying to create a rather intensive world (LOTS of objects) thick forests, rocky rivers etc. however CAW seems to be lagging more and more with more objects i put down. It's only using 30% of my CPU, 40% RAM and 26% GPU. If not unfortunately i assume the program isn't meant for this hard of a workout, but i'm hoping somewhere in the deep dark abyss there's some way to fix it.

PC specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H97M-D3H
Ram: 12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Gpu: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI)
Storage: 223GB KINGSTON (SSD)
931GB Seagate
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 1:00 PM
I'm not actually a CAW user, but is the 40% of RAM usage the total your entire computer is using or CAW itself? The latter would be impossible (unless Windows is just reserving more RAM than the app can use). If you look on the Processes tab of the Task Manager, how much RAM in GBs is CAW alone using?

All elements of TS3 are 32-bit unfortunately, so none of them can use more than 4 GB individually. You may be near or at that limit already when this happens.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 7:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I'm not actually a CAW user, but is the 40% of RAM usage the total your entire computer is using or CAW itself? The latter would be impossible (unless Windows is just reserving more RAM than the app can use). If you look on the Processes tab of the Task Manager, how much RAM in GBs is CAW alone using?

All elements of TS3 are 32-bit unfortunately, so none of them can use more than 4 GB individually. You may be near or at that limit already when this happens.

All values are CAW alone.
Total, my pc is using 40% cpu, 45% ram and 40% gpu
It's using barely even half a gig of ram. 440.4MB to be precise.

Edit: For reference, i am grouping trees etc together either once i'm done, or when it starts lagging. and we're talking over 10,000 objects and i'm not even done with 1/4 of the map.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 7:35 AM
I guess I was the wrong one to answer then, sorry. But 40% of your RAM is not 440.4 MB, it would be 4.8 GB which is impossible. Unless you meant that your entire computer was using 40% of its RAM when CAW was the only thing running besides Windows and systems resources, but that's not really concerning.

Let's try it this way. Paging Dr. @Nitromon -- how is it that I might be misinterpreting the above, please?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 8:12 AM
I guess I was the wrong one to answer then, sorry. But 40% of your RAM is not 440.4 MB, it would be 4.8 GB which is impossible. Unless you meant that your entire computer was using 40% of its RAM when CAW was the only thing running besides Windows and systems resources, but that's not really concerning.

Let's try it this way. Paging Dr. @Nitromon -- how is it that I might be misinterpreting the above, please?

Nope you're right. i done derped and 40% is my total RAM.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 5:53 PM
While we're waiting for what we hope is a more informed reply, you might try again without the 1.27 GB beast of a web browser running even if you have plenty of resources to spare. I'm getting really sick of web browsers doing that and am thinking of finding a way to just do without them. All of them, they all can go...oh, sorry got a bit off-topic there. Where were we?

It's possible though that CAW is just not equipped to handle what you are throwing at it. If it's not an obvious resource problem, it could be a more subtle one such as the game (not sure about CAW) only being able to utilize two cores and 800 MB of video memory. Hopefully someone with more world building experience will see this and answer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Mar 2018 at 12:24 AM
While we're waiting for what we hope is a more informed reply, you might try again without the 1.27 GB beast of a web browser running even if you have plenty of resources to spare. I'm getting really sick of web browsers doing that and am thinking of finding a way to just do without them. All of them, they all can go...oh, sorry got a bit off-topic there. Where were we?

It's possible though that CAW is just not equipped to handle what you are throwing at it. If it's not an obvious resource problem, it could be a more subtle one such as the game (not sure about CAW) only being able to utilize two cores and 800 MB of video memory. Hopefully someone with more world building experience will see this and answer.

It seems to be that way. CAW recently started having a meltdown and just wouldn't open all together, and the sims 3 wasn't running pets.
Turns out (because EA is super new to having more then one hard drive) That the Sims 3 installed to my E: drive (where i wanted it) Origin is installed on my C: drive (also where i wanted it) Pets installed on my C: drive (no you go on E thank you very much) and CAW installed on my C: as well (Get back over to E where you belong) Well, once i realised the sims 3 wasn't actually running pets (i haven't really played it at all, just been using it to play with ini files) I had to uninstall the sims, uninstall pets, reinstall the sims on E: Reinstall pets on E: (at least i thought) then it started throwing a bunch of bulls##t errors at me. and wouldn't download pets properly. Turns out, Origin was trying to install the sims on E: and pets on C: (I SAID INSTALL TO E DAMNIT) where on earth it got this crazy ass idea in its head i have no clue. and then CAW wouldn't run. it would just pretend to open and then just not actually open. So i copied all my worlds and cc, moved it to another folder, uninstalled caw, reinstalled caw, put back my files and bam it works again

In short: I don't think EA is equipped to handle more then one of anything.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Mar 2018 at 8:47 AM
Default Fixed????
It appears when spamming objects. There's 4 things it doesn't seem to like. Spamming too quickly, Rotating quickly, moving the mouse/camera too fast. and more then 400 objects without grouping.
So thus, clicking slower fixes both the spamming too quickly problem and the rotating problem. and focusing on small chunks vs a larger area it seems to like better. and also grouping around 200-300 objects.
Making multiple layers seems to have helped allot as well. At the moment i have about 5 different ones just for plants alone.

Setting the priority to Realtime seems to have helped as well
If anyone is having the same problem, to set a programs priority go to task manager, Right click on the program select >Go to details, Right click on the program and click set priority > something higher then what its at.
This could also be a fix for your browser hog problem @igazor

CAW Is now using 21% of my CPU, Still only 300MB of my memory, but 97% of my GPU. Yay?
It's still running though.. I wonder how long until either the program or my pc gives up though Only one way to find out!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 8:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Well, looks like I solved another issue.

lol j/k

but you guys already pretty much figured it out. I don't use CAW, but I know if it is anything like TS3 build/buy mode, it will lag when there are too many objects on the lot etc... One of the things I notice from some creators, especially island type tropical lots which I love, they overlap a lot of trees and bushes, I guess trying to make it look dense and lucious. On those lots, it would actually freeze for ... 30 seconds or more when I enter build/buy mode.

I always end up cleaning up those lots by deleting excess trees, bushes, flowers, etc... overlapping is never good.

What kinda build do you have out of curiosity?
There is a metric cowtonne of overlapping on this build. and as much as i'd love to play this world, i'm afraid its going to take me months to complete and by that point one of a couple of things will probably happen. I'll get bored, or keep changing my mind about things the list could go on and on.
But really i'm just curious to find out just HOW much can the sims take? On my last test i didn't lag from going to build/buy/play. However i did lag for 10 seconds or so after asking a sim/pet to move to somewhere unroutable that isn't painted that way in CAW.

Side story: Upon playing the sims as a child, and watching the sims grow over the years with the sims 2, and then 3. I was so excited for the sims 4. with the realism and graphics getting better and better with every expansion i just couldn't wait! Then finally, the sims 4 hit and i got a good old punch to the face when i found out they went with a more cartoon kinda style, that even with CC. doesn't get much better.
and on top of that, they just ruined building, and the general gameplay by taking away the open world. Hence why i find myself back with the good old sims 3 trying to make something as realistic as possible. Dense lush forests, long grass fields (as pictured above) etc. I will say one good thing about the sims 4 however, the only thing i found they improved is the create a sim. Makes life so much easier. I haven't played any of the expansions though. Bought the base game when it launched. Played it for maybe a total of 24 hours before i finally accepted that its garbage.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 9:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Well if it is a "lot," generally don't overlap using "moveobjects on" when placing trees, shrubberies, etc... I've seen a lot of lots which creators just overkill with the greenery. I generally remove more than 75% of the trees/bushes, etc... they put on those lots.

But this can happen in a world map level, as you are probably experiencing. Again, I pretty much do this with every custom world I download. I go into edit mode, world edit mode, and delete excess trees and deco. One I remember vividly is the New York world. The world itself is already huge and the creator puts in a lot of deco that I felt was excessive, so I removed over 1/2 of them... anything from excess buildings deco to trees, etc...

Just remember TS3 is a 32 bit program and can only use 3.2-3.4GB at most, so try to keep it slim.

Yeah man i'll keep that in mind. Lets just hope the sims 5 is better then the sims 4, and 3.