Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 9:48 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default TS2 keeps crashing, only started a few months ago
I've had TS2 installed for some time now and it's always worked perfectly, but a few months ago it suddenly started crashing at random intervals which made it impossible to play. Attempt to enter a lot? Crash. Attempt to load a family? Crash. At one point I managed to play for a few minutes but the game just crashed again. I've tried the 4GB patch (probably useless since it's worked perfectly before so I don't see why it would randomly start having issues with memory), deleting the cache files, deleting all of my custom content, deleting the entire folder in Documents/EA Games and even reinstalling the game, but literally nothing has worked and I have no idea what to do anymore. I'm starting to suspect that this was caused by a Win 10 update. What do you all think?

Hardware details are probably unimportant since any PC made after 2008 can run TS2 but i'll post them anyway:
i7-6700
GTX 1060
32 GB of RAM
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 11:05 AM
Is this a laptop or desktop?
Have you patched all the EP's?
What's your memory?
Win 10 has had issues with disabling some games.
Is your game a download from Origin?
Do you have the newest drivers for the graphics card?
What is your graphics card? Is it onboard or dedicated?

Just some questions about your setup. Those details you gave are not enough to base any answers on.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 1:06 PM
Actually, it's newer PC's that need more help to run Sims 2. It's an old game and it prefers older hardware. My newer PC does not play the Sims 2 nearly so well and I have small annoying graphical issues. Yes, you do want the 4 GB patch and the graphic rules done, also stand by memory is a possibility. Check the sticky help thread.

Go to Documents> EA Games> The Sims 2>Logs folder. In there click on the file ending in config-log-txt. It will show you memory, free memory and also your graphics card. You want those memories to say 4096 not less and down below you want to see your graphic card name and model.

There have been some graphic driver updates that broke DirectX 9 games.

There have also been Window updates that broke some games.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 2:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Actually, it's newer PC's that need more help to run Sims 2. It's an old game and it prefers older hardware. My newer PC does not play the Sims 2 nearly so well and I have small annoying graphical issues. Yes, you do want the 4 GB patch and the graphic rules done, also stand by memory is a possibility. Check the sticky help thread.

Go to Documents> EA Games> The Sims 2>Logs folder. In there click on the file ending in config-log-txt. It will show you memory, free memory and also your graphics card. You want those memories to say 4096 not less and down below you want to see your graphic card name and model.

There have been some graphic driver updates that broke DirectX 9 games.

There have also been Window updates that broke some games.

I checked the log and it does say "GTX 1060" but the amount of memory is only 2048MB, so I think I screwed something up while patching it. Gonna try again
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 2:27 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Jan 2019 at 10:55 AM.
Actually, it's newer PC's that need more help to run Sims 2. It's an old game and it prefers older hardware.

Bit of info on -any- old game that would prefer an older system or OS, particularly 32 bit games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6OuVpenoMI
Often it's the multi-core CPUs and various other newer hardware that throw things off for the computer, and an older PC with an older OS and older hardware may occasionally seem to perform better than a gaming PC unless you tinker around to fix the issues.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 10:14 PM
Yes with the multi-core, Sims 2 was designed to run on two, to overcome this I was told to get a faster CPU which I did. I got the lowest core machine possible at 4. Still does not run sims 2 like my old machine built in 2010. It was a 64 bit too.

So check how many cores you have OP.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 10:15 AM
Yes with the multi-core, Sims 2 was designed to run on two, to overcome this I was told to get a faster CPU which I did. I got the lowest core machine possible at 4. Still does not run sims 2 like my old machine built in 2010. It was a 64 bit too.

So check how many cores you have OP.

As I have mentioned before, I have an i7-6700, which is a 4c/8t CPU. However this still doesn't explain why the game would suddenly stop working as I ran it perfectly on this hardware for over a year without using any fixes and I had a crapton of CC installed.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 11:05 AM
Then like mentioned it sounds like something changed with your hardware, probably a driver or window update.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#9 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 12:00 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 8th Jan 2019 at 12:28 AM.
If you suspect it's a Windows 10 update, do you have the ability to rollback the update the last working installation?

I once had an update that broken the "Stereo Mix" option on my Volume Control. Then when I went to one of the settings of my computer to rollback the update, my computer worked properly again.

So if it's a Windows 10 update, and you can rollback the installation, perhaps you should do that and see if your game works again.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!