Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 12:15 AM
Default British Radio Names Override
OK, Quick game.

I have made a radio mod, however it will only be accepted on one condition, I can prove that a sizeable part of the community can correctly guess which Station Name matches which Musical Genre.

Upon Replying, please state your general location for reference (Ie: Are you from the UK, if yes, Are you in England, If yes, which Major City are you near/what county are you in) It'll kinda help me.

Also if you can think of any better match ups, Please tell!

Now to match up the station to the genre

New Wave:
Salsa:
Classical is:
New Age
Oldies is:
Shopping:
Pop:
Big Band:
World:
R&B
Reggae:
Techno:
Heavy Metal is:
Surf is:
Jazz:
Hip-hop:
Jam:
College Rock is:
Indie is:

KERRANG 105.2 (Real)
Sim State Radio 1179kHz (Based off many different UK University Radios)
Radio Coastal 1026kHz (Fictional)
Absolute Radio 50s - DAB 12A (Fictional, but part of the real Absolute radio network)
Capital Xtra 96.9FM (Real)
XFM 97.7FM (Real)
Country AM 999kHz (Fictional)
Classic 99.9FM (Real, National)
The Jam Radio - DAB 12D (Fictional)
92.5FM Caribbean Radio (Fictional)
97.5 The Wave FM (Fictional)
BBC World Service 648kHz (Real, but no longer broadcasting on AM)
BBC Radio 3 90.2FM (Real, National)
ASDA FM via Satellite (Real, a supermarket radio)
KISS 100.0FM (Real, National, London Frequency)
Capital 95.8FM (Real, National, London Frequency)
BBC Radio 2 88.1FM (Real, National)
Radio 1 97.6FM (Real, National)
DAB 11C - Latin American Radio (Fictional)
BBC Asian Network 828kHz (Real)

Ready, Set, Guess!

Just Call me Square!
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 12:40 AM
Sim state radio - College Rock
Radio Coastal - Surf
Country AM - Country
Classic 99.9 - Oldies
The Jam Radio - Jam
92.5 Caribbean Radio - Reggae
97.5 The Wave FM - Wave
ASDA - Shopping
DAB 11C Latin American - Salsa

The rest? No idea, they are not even remotely obvious. I'm from the US.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 1:23 AM
1 wrong, but I'm keeping my mouth zipped on that matter.

Eesh there's some text after the names I forgot to remove. Ah well.

Just Call me Square!
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 6:12 PM
KERRANG 105.2 (Real) College Rock is
Sim State Radio 1179kHz (Based off many different UK University Radios) dunno
Radio Coastal 1026kHz (Fictional) Surf
Absolute Radio 50s - DAB 12A (Fictional, but part of the real Absolute radio network) Jazz
Capital Xtra 96.9FM (Real) pop
XFM 97.7FM (Real) dunno
Country AM 999kHz (Fictional) country
Classic 99.9FM (Real, National) classical (I listen to this station)
The Jam Radio - DAB 12D (Fictional) pop
92.5FM Caribbean Radio (Fictional) reggae
97.5 The Wave FM (Fictional) surf
BBC World Service 648kHz (Real, but no longer broadcasting on AM) world
BBC Radio 3 90.2FM (Real, National) oldies
ASDA FM via Satellite (Real, a supermarket radio) supermarket
KISS 100.0FM (Real, National, London Frequency) pop
Capital 95.8FM (Real, National, London Frequency) pop
BBC Radio 2 88.1FM (Real, National) oldies
Radio 1 97.6FM (Real, National) pop
DAB 11C - Latin American Radio (Fictional) salsa
BBC Asian Network 828kHz (Real) banghra

I'm from the UK, 1 hour north of London, I hour south of Birmingham, sort of in the middle really :P

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 8:03 PM
You came fairly close there, four of the 5 stations you've marked as pop do air in-game what I would consider as kinds of Pop.

Also since when was there Bhangra in the sims?

Two of them were switched.

One of the two stations you've listed as surf is a surf station.

All will be revealed on the 3rd of September (coincidentally coinciding with the start of WWIII's anniversary) when I'll make my decision on what needs to be changed and what doesn't.

Just Call me Square!
Instructor
#6 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 9:11 PM
Is this a game or a Help?? if it's a game it needs to go to disscussion.. I don't see anything that needs help in this thread!
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#7 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 9:34 PM
The thing that needs help is that the upload moderator (me) feels that the function of the radio station names is to tell you what sort of music you will get when you choose the station. The radio station names do not immediately convey what music will be played (in my opinion). The uploader felt it was perfectly clear. I suggested he post here to see if the members would help him by saying what genre they thought matched the station name, then we could see if it was clear or not.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 11:47 PM
Ok I'm an oldie and I couldn't match most of these (UK-Norfolk). But here's what I'm thinking, my other half plays in a band and a lot of what he plays I have no idea how to classify? I listen to a lot of music (pop/70's/60's/classical,punk,heavy rock,rock, glam rock, Beach Boys-surf? and so on..) without giving genre a thought.
However in the Sims maybe this would be different; the player would search for a particular style. I myself would try and be surprised, its what I do in real life.
I did get Kiss, I listened to this when travelling but no idea other than easy listening what to call it. KERRANG because I'm a rock chicky. The jam?, humm I would think of being with my other half at Screech and Twang, I mean Open Mic Night. (Them not him, he turns them down on the PA). The BBC speaks for itself, Capital is to me easy listening/messing about? I have the feeling although I'm trying to help I'm not. Best of luck :-)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 11:50 PM
Thanks for clearing that out for me.

By Karren Lorraine's post, at least, with R&B, Techno, Pop and HipHop, I'm going to need to be a bit more specific. All four of those stations: Capital, Kiss, Capital xtra and Radio 1 play at least 2 or 3 of those music genres, if not all of them.

Looking at HugeLunatics post in addition to her's, There's also Oldies, Big Band, Classical and Jazz which could also get mixed up in some ways, as well as potentially New Wave and Surf.

I'm beginning to think about having two or three alternate downloads- one with the Genre incorporated into the Title of the station (like "Radio Coastal Surf 1026kHz", one the same as I've got and another like "Surf - Radio Coastal 1026kHz" "Shopping - ASDA FM via Satellite"

Is that a reasonable proposal?

Just Call me Square!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 12:14 AM
I just had a look at my music in the game, stereo not radio. I have Classical, Pop, House mix, I use this on community lots for night clubs/pubs ect a real mix of everything. RNB, soft slow James Brown...Metal, speaks for itself, Surf, any beach music and I really think this may be individual choice, I think Beach Boys my daughter would think Ibiza. Oldies, 60's 70's etc.
Yes a list with the title and genre would be self explanatory and easy to choose from.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:54 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't quite comprehend what you're trying to say there?

I'm also not sure quite you know what the issue is, or is about...

Your post sorta confuses me. :/

Just Call me Square!
Forum Resident
#12 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
The thing that needs help is that the upload moderator (me) feels that the function of the radio station names is to tell you what sort of music you will get when you choose the station. The radio station names do not immediately convey what music will be played (in my opinion). The uploader felt it was perfectly clear. I suggested he post here to see if the members would help him by saying what genre they thought matched the station name, then we could see if it was clear or not.

I had a similar idea, that wouldn't create the problem of people not knowing which stations were which, to base the radio stations off of real stations in Southwestern Florida. My idea was to get clips from the broadcasts where they announce the name of the radio stations. For example, my idea was to put "Your home for 20 in row, Gator Country 101.9" on the Country station, "Playing the Suncoast's greatest hits, 107.9 WSRZ Coral Cove, an I Heart Radio station... 107.9 WSRZ" on the Oldies station, "(Bing bing bing) You're listening to the In Store Broadcasting Network, entertaining over 150 million shoppers every month" on the Shopping station, etc. I hadn't even really thought about changing the actual names of the stations in the pie menu. Sooner or later I might actually do something like this.

If you want to change the actual names in the pie menu, you could do what you've done, but to eliminate confusion, put the genre in parentheses after the radio station name (for example, Gator Country 101.9 (Country), 107.9 WSRZ (Oldies), etc)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 10:30 PM
I'll send you a PM once I get my PC, bnefreinds

I'm going to do the 3 versions I said, once my computer comes back from the repair shop.

Your idea is pretty cool for having speech in between the songs, but I wouldn't know how to do it, plus I'd want to do it in Simlish. "Sul Sul, Whippna Choba KISS 100 avew Katy Perry - Hat um Kope"

Just Call me Square!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 10:02 AM
Just read freesabird's first comment. Most of what you've described as easy listening (at least nowadays) I would describe as pop. :P

Anyway I think this is mostly resolved now, what does leefish think about my idea of having a few different versions?

Just Call me Square!
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#15 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 10:48 AM
I think if you had a version with the music type in parentheses that would be fine.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 8:28 PM
When my laptop gets back from the repair shop (and if it isn't a writeoff) I'll create the two versions. :P

Just Call me Square!