Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 4:48 PM
Default Why Katrina Caliente?
I have one question why did maxis replace nighat and Flamenco with katrina ?
i thought that nighat and flamenco was coming back from the sims 2 but no .
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 5:02 PM
Katrina is Nighat, expect EA changed her name. I don't know why. I heard from others that it's because the name sounds too similar to the N word or something like that. Can't confirm whether there is any truth in that though. Katrina doesn't even look like Dina and Nina's mum, she looks like their sibling.

Non of these TS4 characters are accurate representations from any past sims characters. Bella and Mortimer goth look the part but they don't feel like the goths.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plumbobot
Katrina is Nighat, expect EA changed her name. I don't know why. I heard from others that it's because the name sounds too similar to the N word or something like that. Can't confirm whether there is any truth in that though. Katrina doesn't even look like Dina and Nina's mum, she looks like their sibling.

Non of these TS4 characters are accurate representations from any past sims characters. Bella and Mortimer goth look the part but they don't feel like the goths.

oh yeah katrina looks like a sibling . well i hope they will come back in a future game
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plumbobot

Is a stupid reason, to me it remember me the word 'Night', and also all those political correct BS treat minorities like if they're somewhat 'poor souls'.
I really don't understand that

Che il sultano mantenga le tradizioni nella propria terra, ma non tenti di imporle ad altri regnanti.
That the sultan may keep his tradition in his own land, but not attempt to force them on other rulers.
(Vlad Țepeș)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 6:00 PM
I agree, why Katrina have a pretty decent look to match her persona but Nina looks like a swollen alcoholic? I'm sorry but that is not Nina just as Katrina's not Nighat. SMH

My sim befriended her but most times I interact with Nina just to laugh at the walk. Other times I want to slap the crap walk out of her.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 2:52 AM
I had read an interesting theory
As Katrina work at entertainment, also as both, Katrina and Nighat are red headed:
Katrina is stage name of Nighat
Scholar
#7 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 3:59 AM
I gave her a makeover to look more like her TS2 self a while ago.

I'll have go ingame and get a picture later.

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#8 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 9:24 AM
The reason the name changed is that the gallery rejects certain groups of letters in sims names, including any with the N-I-G sequence.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 11:51 AM Last edited by AncientRome : 17th Oct 2015 at 11:53 AM. Reason: fixing typo
Nighat looks like a slang word. I personally think Katrina is a more appealing/approachable name.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 12:12 PM
It only looks like slang. I'm black - I have no qualms with Nighat as a name. That's like EA removing the the color black from the Spanish game because it looks like "Negro."

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 12:58 PM
Strange how I say it looks like a slang term and the subject of race pops up.

Is Nighat a common name? If so I am curious to know where.
Either way I have personally come across more people with the name Katrina than Nighat.
#12 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 3:08 PM
Never heard of it in my life, I have to say. And I never saw the name in my sims game. Come to think of it I never even noticed the Calientes had a mother! Was she a greyed out ancestor?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 3:32 PM
My phones autocorrect seems to think Nighat is a misspelling of Night.
I wonder if that's all it truly is.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 3:40 PM
A google search of Nighat brings up lovely images of women and links to Arabic name databases. According to one, it means "sight" or "glance".
Field Researcher
#15 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Never heard of it in my life, I have to say. And I never saw the name in my sims game. Come to think of it I never even noticed the Calientes had a mother! Was she a greyed out ancestor?

Yes, she was a greyed out ancestor.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 11:31 PM
i've known two nighats that were both from pakistan, so while it might not be a name you hear everywhere, it's not an unheard of name at all I am annoyed at the change, though.
Scholar
#17 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 2:38 AM
Yeah, I think the name's Pakistan. Katrina is just a whitewashed version of her Sims 2 counterpart.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 3:48 AM
One of the first things I did in TS4 was do a COMPLETE overhaul of the Caliente and Lothario households so that they're closer to how they are in TS2. That included giving "Katrina" her real name again and making her less...."Florida mom".

The Receptacle still lives!
Forum Resident
#19 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 4:15 PM
To be honest, I doubt it was an attempt at whitewashing. I don't think they gave Dina and Nina's mother from TS2 any thought, and just made an entirely new Sim called "Katrina" because it rhymes with the girls' names. The game doesn't seem to be in the same canon as the others.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 7:29 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure it was intentional white-washing. They probably just thought nobody would care since the character was already dead in TS2. That being said, I'm a stickler for continuity. Especially in a game where you create most of the continuity XD

The Receptacle still lives!
Inventor
#21 Old 19th Oct 2015 at 10:23 AM
I don't mind Katrina but then again I never knew Nighat and from the sounds of it neither did most of you guys besides and empty picture.

The only thing that bugs me about her is her appearance as well as the rest of the Caliente household. So I gave them all make-overs and changed their dynamic. Katrina is married to Nicolo Lothario and Don, Nina, and Dina are all step-siblings as well as teens.

Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Yeah, I'm not sure it was intentional white-washing. They probably just thought nobody would care since the character was already dead in TS2. That being said, I'm a stickler for continuity. Especially in a game where you create most of the continuity XD

Well they did state that it is not a sequel but an alternate timeline, so there goes continuity
Screenshots

Check out my Simblr
Field Researcher
#22 Old 19th Oct 2015 at 11:50 AM
Not like they don't have a history of changing Bella about throughout the franchise (she died and got better!) so it isn't unheard of I suppose... No reason not to add a new change?

-- The Roc
Mad Poster
#23 Old 19th Oct 2015 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AncientRome
Strange how I say it looks like a slang term and the subject of race pops up.

Do I have to explain why race was brought up? If it has nothing to do with race, nigga, as a word, wouldn't need to be removed by EA. Again, Nighat only LOOKS similar to the word, which is why I have no qualms. Similar is not same.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 19th Oct 2015 at 5:32 PM
It was tested than Nighat is a no allowed word at gallery?
#25 Old 19th Oct 2015 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leo3487
It was tested than Nighat is a no allowed word at gallery?

I think so, yes.