Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 9:20 PM
Default "Clearing the Cache" Automatically
Do you think it could be done?

I thought I could possibly do it with Task Scheduler (a native Windows program), but it seems to be beyond my scope of knowledge right now.

It appears that doing anything on a certain event like a program closing requires a log file of some sort.

But automatically clearing the cache may be helpful for some people who get the conversation bug, even though it introduces some oddities.

Honestly, I'd be willing to put up with the oddities if I didn't have to manually delete my cache every time I quit.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 10:53 PM
I clear mine at the end of the day or even every few days and it's enough. I also back up my files at the same time and clear out my in-game snapshots. I don't mind the maintenance.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Um... if the cache is anything like TS3 cache, you shouldn't clean it at all unless it gives you problems.

If I don't clean my cache every day my game starts getting a bug where group conversations cause the game to lock up into a state where the clock keeps going, but none of my sims will do anything. It's the only thing that I've done that has alleviated it.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 7:00 AM
A shortcut of a batch file is the way to go. You can also run it in task scheduler.

Although I'm not so sure about using it so frequently.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 5:36 PM
I thought there was a file that you needed to keep in the cache folder - the "FileCache.ini" ? Wouldn't the above delete that, too?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 11:54 PM
I love the idea of a .bat to do all that, but the one that you gave us didn't work for me.
The command window says something about being unable to find the directory. I probably screwed it up somehow.

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 3:18 AM Last edited by AncientRome : 7th Sep 2015 at 3:31 AM.
I recommend removing this from the bat file.
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4.exe" --no_tutorial

And set the bat file up in the task scheduler to have it run once or twice a week when you are normally at work or asleep. This will truly automate everything so you'll never have to deal with it again.

Currently the above posts dictate that it will clean the cache every single time you wish to open TS4.
As for how frequent the cleaning needs to be done depends on the person you talk to. The only times I ever clear my cache and delete the clientDB file is when I remove mods.