Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 11:43 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Ghost Scaring Glitch
Hey how's it going!

So I've been trying to do this challenge Study Or Die from Hexagonal's tumblr but every time the ghost goes to scare my Sim, it glitches & none of the needs go down. Which kind of defeats the purpose of the "challenge." I've tried what feels like everything but no clue to what I'm doing wrong. I've taken out every mod and every piece of custom content I have but the 3 needed for the challenge itself, the z_GhostHack_StudyOrDie, the nouniprotect from MTS, & Smarter EP check from Cyjon but still to the same effect of the glitch. I have even run a separate game folder to my startup and nothing. This challenge looks like so much fun and I really want to play it but I can't seem to get it to work! Help!

Edit- The only other thing I can think of is that I have some stealth templates from MeetMeToTheRiver when I setup my Uberhood in my CDrive if those could possibly be something that affects this?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 12:49 AM
You could try running boolprop testing cheat and then you'll be able to see the error in a log. Sometimes there are obvious clues in there.

If it were me, I'd also double check that I put the hack in and unzipped it and all that obvious stuff, because sometimes I fool myself.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 1:08 AM Last edited by thisfatfunnylife : 15th Jan 2019 at 1:44 AM.
I did have a reset once pop up twice. First time it was right as the ghost scared my sim, Jane Doe, as she was getting out of bed that said "bad gossip tree" a bunch of text then Jane Doe. I hit reset and she jumped. The second time it happened I hit delete and it deleted Jane.

-Edit: Here's my mods folder right now. Mods List The MATU is the one mod it needs from them, FFS Lot is to clear out the gossip, no corrupt death seemed like a good idea to try, and NoPoke is for the shadow fix

-Second Edit,Here's a picture of the error
Instructor
#4 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 1:54 AM
When you ran the game from a different Sims 2 documents folder, did you leave out all your mods? If not, you should do so. I'm not sure, but z_GhostHack_StudyOrDie might be conflicting with the ghosts and their behavior. To do a real test, you need to play the lot without your mods. Let a sim get scared and see if that error appears. If not, one of your mods are causing the issue. backup your hood, before, of course.

ETA: You should also run Hoodchecker, maybe there is some underlining corruption in the hood.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Alchemist
#5 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 2:21 AM
I don't know a lot, but it's been helpful to me several times to look in the log file that the error mentions. It often tells me which object or mod is the problem. You might even find that some mod you need is missing, since you removed everything. I'm pretty sure my game would be a mess without a lot of the mods I have set up in it. And, of course, Study or Die is a new mod, it could possibly have an error in it. Maybe ask the creator about any issues?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 3:01 AM
Hey thank you both for replying so quickly about this <3

Ok so I played the game sans free any mods or CC as you recommended monijt1 and the ghost will scare just fine. Took awhile but I got it. Scare

I don't know how to read the error log but I should look into some research on how to do that. Does anyone have any tips they recommend for that btw (going to look anyway but suggestions are helpful incase I'm looking in the wrong place) It could very well be the mod itself, I will definitely try emailing hexagonal and see if that helps. <3 Thanks again so much both of you!
Alchemist
#7 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 4:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thisfatfunnylife
Hey thank you both for replying so quickly about this <3

Ok so I played the game sans free any mods or CC as you recommended monijt1 and the ghost will scare just fine. Took awhile but I got it. Scare

I don't know how to read the error log but I should look into some research on how to do that. Does anyone have any tips they recommend for that btw (going to look anyway but suggestions are helpful incase I'm looking in the wrong place) It could very well be the mod itself, I will definitely try emailing hexagonal and see if that helps. <3 Thanks again so much both of you!

The pic you posted gives the path. It's just a text file. I don't understand a lot of it, but it often mentions the problem object or mod. Good luck!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 11:08 AM
You could post the error log here. Some of the regulars (not me) know how to read these things and might be able to help you better.
Scholar
#9 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 2:02 PM
Without an error log I can't say for sure what the problem is for you but the file named z_GhostHack_StudyOrDie.package does have a fault in the opcode 'Sub - Be Scared - Motive Hit'. In the second line it's calling on opcode 0x2100 which does not exist, that will throw a 'Bad Gosub Tree'. As is, the file is unusable.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 2:31 PM Last edited by lordtyger9 : 15th Jan 2019 at 2:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Without an error log I can't say for sure what the problem is for you but the file named z_GhostHack_StudyOrDie.package does have a fault in the opcode 'Sub - Be Scared - Motive Hit'. In the second line it's calling on opcode 0x2100 which does not exist, that will throw a 'Bad Gosub Tree'. As is, the file is unusable.

I am fairly certain that the 'Bad Gosub Tree' is because the OP did not have Smarter EP Check from Cyjon installed even though it says on the Study Or Die Challenge page that this mod CJ-SmarterEPCheck from Cyjon is Required in order to use the z_GhostHack_StudyOrDie.package as the mod is based on one of Cyjon's Ghost Mods and thus it must have Smarter EP Check from Cyjon installed in order to work.

I don't know what other problems that there might be, I have been in touch with the OP and they told me that the Ghost does scare with out any mods installed. However, when they first started and they had their usual mods installed {I think that they had the GhostHack and SmarterEPCheck but I am not certain of this}, that the Sim's motives after being scared did not fall like they were supposed to. I know that they should being that I played this same challenge and I had the GhostHack Mod as well as SmarterEPCheck so it has to one of the mods that was installed by the OP that I don't have or I would had problems too I think. My Sims in the Challenge died a lot from being Scared by the Ghosts.

Note: I ran the Study Or Die Challenge and I had the z_GhostHack_StudyOrDie.package and the CJ-SmarterEPCheck.package installed and I did not take out my other mods i just made sure that z_GhostHack_StudyOrDie mod loaded after the regular Cyjon Ghost Mods. I did not have any errors at all that I know of and while I found the Challenge very challenging I did finish it without having any problems that I noticed.

I hope that I was clear, I will certainly remind the OP to include an error log if they have any after they install the SmarterEPCheck like they are supposed to.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 11:28 PM
Okay, I have an error log. Is it okay to post it here or is there a specific place I can post it? Thanks so much!!!! I feel ready to give up. I spent 7 hours yesterday on this and already another hour and a half today so far.

Edit. I clearly need my status on the side here to go back to Test Subject instead of Lab Asst lol
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 16th Jan 2019 at 10:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thisfatfunnylife
Okay, I have an error log. Is it okay to post it here or is there a specific place I can post it? Thanks so much!!!! I feel ready to give up. I spent 7 hours yesterday on this and already another hour and a half today so far.

Edit. I clearly need my status on the side here to go back to Test Subject instead of Lab Asst lol
zip the file and then upload it to this thread.

Then people who has some expertise in reading error logs will download it and then hopefully be able to help.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Scholar
#13 Old 16th Jan 2019 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
I am fairly certain that the 'Bad Gosub Tree' is because the OP did not have Smarter EP Check from Cyjon installed even though it says on the Study Or Die Challenge page that this mod CJ-SmarterEPCheck from Cyjon is Required in order to use the z_GhostHack_StudyOrDie.package as the mod is based on one of Cyjon's Ghost Mods and thus it must have Smarter EP Check from Cyjon installed in order to work.

That's definitely not the case because the ghost uses Smarter EP Check immediately on creation, long before any scaring so if Smarter EP Check were missing the error would come from the dead male and he'd be unable to continue. The only thing useful from the image of the error is that we can see that the error is coming from the live female sim.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Jan 2019 at 3:13 PM
Well I also learned how to use dropbox today, or starting too so that's another new thing learned ^_^ *Yay* lol

Here is the link to the file I hope it works, will fiddle with it if it's not right!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 17th Jan 2019 at 10:13 AM
I have no idea if this will help and Chris Hatch is a lot smarter than I am - but I think when I had that error, I had to download a mod which is compatible to AL. (It was some time ago, but I think I remember that).
Scholar
#16 Old 17th Jan 2019 at 1:38 PM
The bad news is the error is coming from the second line in 'Sub - Be Scared - Motive Hit' which is a fault in the file named z_GhostHack_StudyOrDie.package.
It must require some other mod to be installed to be able to work because semi-global 0x2100 that it's branching to does not otherwise exist.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 17th Jan 2019 at 11:40 PM
Thank you so much Chris for looking into this! Would you recommend any mods in its place? SmarterEPCheck if I had to guess is the one probably that is supposed to be the one to fix it but something I'm doing maybe isn't letting it recognize it. :-/ Do/should I try to follow this tutorial in SimPE to get it to recognize or is that a horse of a different color?
Scholar
#18 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 12:42 PM
The problem is not related to SmarterEPCheck, as you said in your first post you do have it installed and I can see from the error log your game has recognised and is using it properly. My guess is the 'GhostHack Mod' contains the required op-code but without knowing what or where it is I can't test that guess.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 1:28 PM Last edited by thisfatfunnylife : 19th Jan 2019 at 3:42 AM.
Ok cool, I emailed hexagonal a couple of times now about this too, hopefully they get back in touch soon

Edit- Wow that was so fast she posted something on her blog Today! :O They forgot some other ghost scaring mods from Cyjon that maybe most other people have? Going to install and play test