Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 3:39 PM
Default Pink flashing and crashes
Hey!
I know this is a common issue, but I have been trying everything I've found out there as solutions. I've also gone through the troubleshooter before posting.
So I guess I don't need to explain the issue much, but when I enter any neighborhood I've played for some time, most, if not all of the textures on objects have been replaced with flashing pink.
I've applied the 4GB patch (and quadruple checked it's done correctly), and I've used a graphic rules maker to make the game recognize my graphic card. This helped for a month or so, then it came back in full force two weeks ago.
Since then, whenever I enter a neighborhood, it flashes pink from the start. Before, this used to be an issue after playing a bit.
I've also set a "free memory allocator" fixer to run every once in a while, and I always run it before opening up the game. I use no CC.
Using boolprop useshaders false has helped a lot in the past, but now the game still crashes after anything from 1 second to 10 minutes of playtime.

Any other tips at this point? I'm really sorry if this is just another thread with the same problem, but I've tried so much on my own now, that I might aswell check with the pros.

I've added my system specs and the crash log I always get.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DxDiag shortened.txt (4.8 KB, 9 downloads)
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2018.12.08 15.54.17.txt (13.3 KB, 8 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 5:15 PM
If it flashes pink from startup, you may have a bigger issue. That happened once for me (I think I'd saved while the game was in pink-flashy mode or some such), and I had to replace my current game with a backup to get rid of the problem. Worked fine after, though (but still with the occasional pink-flashing after a long play session).

Have you tried the cheat that turns off shaders? May work to temporarily get rid off the pink-flashing, so you can fix the neighborhood.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 5:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If it flashes pink from startup, you may have a bigger issue. That happened once for me (I think I'd saved while the game was in pink-flashy mode or some such), and I had to replace my current game with a backup to get rid of the problem. Worked fine after, though (but still with the occasional pink-flashing after a long play session).

Have you tried the cheat that turns off shaders? May work to temporarily get rid off the pink-flashing, so you can fix the neighborhood.

It used to help a lot in the past with the shaders cheat, but when I used it today, it only fixed about half of the pink flashes. Unfortunately I have no backups ..
This is my Prosperity Challenge neighborhood, and yes, I should have backed up, but what can I do now? Is there a way to transfer the families to a new neighborhood with relationships intact?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 7:45 PM
Have you updated your nVidia drivers lately?

If so you may need to update your config file, with the new drivers in that you need to redo it like you did before so it would work.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 9:03 PM
Oof - tried to run the graphic rules maker again, just in case that was the issue.. Now my game runs in bad graphics and with 800x600 resolution. I know there are fixes for this out there - but I thought that was WHAT the graphic rules maker was for fixing! It also reset my texture memory to 32.. I'll try to look more into fixing this again tomorrow, too tired now. :p
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 10:26 PM
Your graphics rule maker is not set correctly. Are you running the game on the 4 GB patch? Anytime I get pink flashing, which I do occasionally, I open the thumbnail folder and delete the files inside.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 10:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Your graphics rule maker is not set correctly. Are you running the game on the 4 GB patch? Anytime I get pink flashing, which I do occasionally, I open the thumbnail folder and delete the files inside.

Yeah, something is off.
In the "device info" tab, it correctly identifies my graphics card, but it says its not in the database. Clicking "add to database" does nothing.
When saving the config files, it asks me if I want to add the graphic cards to the video card database, then I click yes. Nothing changes.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 12:14 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 9th Dec 2018 at 12:27 AM.
Post some screenshots.

In your sims 2 folder, look in the Logs folder. Check the config-log.txt file. You want to see Memory: 4096MB and Free memory: 4096MB

Down further will be your graphic card information, that should say what your card is.
Mine reads Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Name (database): GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Vendor: NVIDIA

I also have lower down again, Texture memory: 4095MB
It's the game struggling with texture memory that causes pink flashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLkmxAg7r3Y
Is a good explanation

Make sure the texture memory reads the same in your graphic rules, the dxdiag and also in your config-log txt.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 9:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Post some screenshots.

In your sims 2 folder, look in the Logs folder. Check the config-log.txt file. You want to see Memory: 4096MB and Free memory: 4096MB

Down further will be your graphic card information, that should say what your card is.
Mine reads Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Name (database): GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Vendor: NVIDIA

I also have lower down again, Texture memory: 4095MB
It's the game struggling with texture memory that causes pink flashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLkmxAg7r3Y
Is a good explanation

Make sure the texture memory reads the same in your graphic rules, the dxdiag and also in your config-log txt.

I manually changed the forced texture memory in the graphic rules myself, since Graphic Rules Maker failed to change it. Before I changed it manually, it just showed 32mb, no matter what I did.
I still see that the graphics card has not been added to the database, and I just can't figure out why. I added a picture of graphic rules maker where I can't add my graphic cards to the database, and one of my graphics config log incase theres something iffy there that I can't see.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 10:51 AM
OK, sorry for the double post, but I've been able to get my game up and running to how it was again when I started this thread. Had to manually edit the video card file to make it recognize it.
Anyway - crashes still remain, as does the pink flashing from the start. I'm adding a crash report in this post.

If the neighborhood is corrupt - is there any way for me to transfer my sims to a new neighborhood, while retaining all information?
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2018.12.08 16.08.49.txt (13.4 KB, 7 downloads)
Instructor
#11 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 3:04 PM
What version of Graphic Rules Maker are you using? There is a newer version out 1.1.0. There is also a test version 1.90.0.

In my opinion, I would not transfer your information to a new hood, you could be copying the same problem.
Instructor
#12 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 4:29 PM
@Meg_Lucky Did you resolve your issue? Please post, it might help others who maybe having the same issues. Thanks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Dec 2018 at 3:58 PM
So I kinda fixed it, and kinda not. Sorry for the late reply, but basically had to try a bunch of stuff first.
My problem was only in one neighborhood - it flashed pink from the start. The other neighborhoods flash pink if I play for a long time.
Basically a temporary solution for me is to enter one of the "healthy" neighborhoods and play like 5 in game minutes with a family, save, exit the family and switch to the unhealthy neighborhood.

That for me makes the unhealthy neighborhood "healthy", and won't crash or flash pink until the game has been running for too long. Magical!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 8:38 PM
Try to delete your thumbnails before you start the game again - it has fixed pink flashing in my game (although I know it does not work for everyone, no harm in trying).