Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2013 at 12:44 AM Last edited by memy9909 : 10th Aug 2013 at 1:32 AM.
Default To those who hate Sims 1 for the graphics...
Let's put this through. Gameplay > Graphics.
Graphics only let you know what things are and what is not. Gameplay is when you, the player interacts with characters such as Bella Goth. The real time gameplay has never changed besides Sims 3's open world feature. Only the Build/Buy and the CAS features has changed.
Sims 1 - Feed your virtual person, make them go out and find other people, make them go to the bathroom, sleep, repeat. (Edit: Make them go out and find people goes with whatever you suggest to be in that row like going to work or becoming a zombie.)
Sims 2 - Feed your virtual person, make them go out and find other people, make them go to the bathroom, sleep, repeat.
Sims 3 - Feed your virtual person, make them go out and find other people, make them go to the bathroom, sleep, repeat.

You will still have the same fun factor for all 3 Sims games unless you are one of those people who like to make your sims look ugly and make them suffer.
In a nutshell, Sims 1 is just like 2 and 3, only more blockier. I guess you hate everything from 2000 and under because it doesn't have top notch graphics like Sims 3. (Dang! Shouldn't have said that. Gave the graphic-whores more ideas.)
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Aug 2013 at 1:04 AM Last edited by Nysha : 11th Aug 2013 at 1:07 PM.
That's not true. Just because the basic core of the gameplay hasn't changed, that doesn't mean that the more peripheral changes aren't important. If the way you play your game is "Feed your virtual person, make them go out and find other people, make them go to the bathroom, sleep, repeat.", then I admire you for not getting bored within five minutes. I certainly would. Each of the three games has loads more to it than that. TS1 has a proper celebrity system in which your sims can record crappy songs that flop and don't make them any money. TS2 allows you play rebellious teenagers, to create a self-sustaining economy within your 'hood - all the games are different.

Saying graphics > gameplay is fair enough, but graphics are absolutely not the only difference between the games.

Also, which people? .

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Aug 2013 at 1:19 AM Last edited by memy9909 : 10th Aug 2013 at 1:29 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
That's not true. Just because the basic core of the gameplay hasn't changed, that doesn't mean that the more peripheral changes aren't important. If the way youj play your game is "Feed your virtual person, make them go out and find other people, make them go to the bathroom, sleep, repeat.", then I admire you for not getting bored within five minutes. I certainly would. Each of the three games has loads more to it than that. TS1 has a proper celebrity system in which your sims can record crappy songs that flop and make them any money. TS2 allows you play rebellious teenagers, to create a self-sustaining economy within your 'hood - all the games are different.

Saying graphics > gameplay is fair enough, but graphics are absolutely not the only difference between the games.

Also, which people? .

I'm not using expansion packs in this situation as I never tried any EPS for Sims 1 except Hot Date so that would just be unfair. (And that's the end of relative post galore. IDK what I was drinking when I continued on here.) Yes, I am aware you can go do other stuff like swim and stuff like that. I did hear the soundtrack to the celeb expansion pack for Sims 1 (Whatchamacallit) and I really love the soundtrack. Me loving Disco more than trendy stuff of today might be the reason. I don't hate Sims whatsoever. I played it more than any other game in fact.
Test Subject
#4 Old 10th Aug 2013 at 1:20 AM
I think they both matter. I will not play any game if the graphics are complete poop as in I can NOT know what is happening, or the graphics are gold and the gameplay is again poop. All the sims game are awesome in their own unique way, without The Sims 1 where are we going to find room for improvement? I love old games even if the graphics are not as amazing as BlackOps or something like that, the gameplay is fun to me and I can comprehend what I see.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 10th Aug 2013 at 1:31 AM
Are you trolling? Because it sure looks like it.
No sims 1 is not like sims 2 or like sims 3. After installing sims 2 I never went back to sims 1 as it simply didn't compare with the improved game play of sims 2. Sims 3 on the other hand is a different fish altogether. The game itself has prettier scenery but ugly boring sims with a poor AI. The game play is far worse in my opinion in sims 3.

Who said we hate everything prior to 2000? My first and favourite game was Space Invaders round about 1982. Were you even born then?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#6 Old 10th Aug 2013 at 7:36 AM
Just wondering where are all these rabid TS1 haters? Most Sims fans are usually fairly sentimental and nostalgic about Sims 1 and recognise that, even if they don't play it any more, it still paved the way for TS2 and TS3.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Aug 2013 at 7:59 AM
Yeah, I'm not seeing any haters either. I like the graphics in TS1. They were bright, shiny, and cartoony. Everything seemed so idealized. I love how incredibly green the grass seemed and how it was always so bright outside. The graphics give just enough to thoroughly engage the imagination. It's still a great game, but as Jo pointed out, it's a very different game from Sims 2 or 3.

Please identify the source or your argument. The only thing I ever got was the surprise of a younger player who couldn't understand why I'd go "back" to play Sims 1 when there was Sims 2. But then, he'd get caught up in it and start missing all the stuff that was there.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Alchemist
#8 Old 10th Aug 2013 at 12:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by memy9909
Let's put this through. Gameplay > Graphics.
Graphics only let you know what things are and what is not. Gameplay is when you, the player interacts with characters such as Bella Goth. The real time gameplay has never changed besides Sims 3's open world feature. Only the Build/Buy and the CAS features has changed.

If you can't see the world of difference between TS1 and TS3, you need serious help
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th Aug 2013 at 1:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
If you can't see the world of difference between TS1 and TS3, you need serious help

Lol, I read that as seniors help -which would also fit.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 10th Aug 2013 at 3:43 PM
There's a BIG difference between TS1, TS2 and TS3. You must not like sims games very much if you'd box all of them in the same category like that, 'cause each one is unique, and different.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 11th Aug 2013 at 11:09 AM
I might be an exception here, but I still like the graphics of The Sims. As far as I'm concerned it's not ugly at all. Okay, the sims are more stiff and a bit blockier, but the objects are gorgeous and often plain awesome. There is so much cool stuff, especially when you have the expansions. I consider the city areas hot date added more beautiful than the community lots of the Sims 2.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 11th Aug 2013 at 11:35 PM
I really don't care about graphics...

Personally, I had the Dreamcast, which, at its release was a 128-bit game system released in Japan in 1998 and USA on September 9, 1999, which it was the first game system I had.
I also had the Nintendo64 (which was half as good as it was 64-bit, according to these graphic-whores you speak of), but I didn't care about the graphics, because at the time, I was just getting into games with 3D graphics and worlds.
This all led to me buying The Sims on my 13th birthday, on October 23, 2000. I didn't care about graphics and the fact it was technically a 2.5D world.

To forget about the past is like denial of the future.

Sure, I was excited to see that The Sims 2 was a 3D world, in fact, my mother said I was so excited to get the basegame of The Sims 2, that I was about to explode into little copies of myself and would eventually put myself back together. (Yes that was a SpongeBob sight gag, especially from the "Lost" episode "The Sponge Who Could Fly") I still would have been excited regardless of graphics as it was an update.

In fact, I have all 3 versions of the Sims and the add-on contents from expansion pack, stuff packs (starting in The Sims 2) and store content (starting in The Sims 3), all running on my Windows 7 PC. I actually am a retro gamer as I have ported versions of the Sonic the Hedgehog games from Steam.

However, some of these ported games have their graphics taken from the GameCube versions of the two Sonic games for Dreamcast.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Test Subject
#13 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 6:03 PM
Each of the main series Sims games have been unique in terms of gameplay. Even if you're looking at the base games, changes have still been made. There's a certain kind of feeling I get playing the original Sims that I can't get while playing Sims 2 or 3, then again Sims 1 lacks some opportunities and challenges that come with the other two.

As for the graphics, I wouldn't call them "bad" necessarily, more so dated. Even the style changes with each game, I always thought Sims 1 sims had more of a "doll" feel if you know where I'm coming from. The way their hands are kind of clumped together reminds me of like, a barbie doll or something. Even though the rigidity of the sim models in the first game may have been due to some limitations, I still like to think Maxis went with a plasticy, artificial style on purpose in some way.

But anyway, Sims 1 is great and people who can't get past the dated graphics are probably not that into Sims to begin with.
Test Subject
#14 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 11:37 PM
I wouldn't say gameplay is THAT basic. I have never played TS1 but I have played TS2 and TS3 and they are WAY more than what you described. Be adventurous. Maybe add a ghost who died from eating the magic jelly bean into your household?
Test Subject
#15 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 12:49 PM
I think Sims 1 was good for it's time period. If Sims 2 and Sims 1 were released in the same year. I would have bought Sims 2 and never played with Sims 1. I think playing Sims 1 would just be nostalgia for me.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 11:38 AM
I can care less about the graphics.

The only reason i cant play it anymore is how slow paced it feels.
If i ever want to play The Sims 1, i play the (much better), Console exclusive remake from 2002 on my Gamecube.