Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 5:26 AM
Default Can someone help me.
This whole custom patterns thing seems like it should be so easy for me, but it's just not working. So, I need someones help. I'm going to post exactly what I do. Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. I recorded my every step here. Please watch.

http://www.screentoaster.com/watch/...11bRV9dWlJdUlNR

The video stops there, but once I get in the game, my pattern is just solid. It only shows the color of the last pallette color I choose. So what am I doing wrong? Can someone help me? A video and/or pics would be really helpful (you can record what happens on your screen at screentoaster.com), but if you can explain it well enough without then please do! I really want to get this done!
Advertisement
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#2 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 6:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by t0b1a5
This whole custom patterns thing seems like it should be so easy for me, but it's just not working. So, I need someones help. I'm going to post exactly what I do. Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. I recorded my every step here. Please watch.

http://www.screentoaster.com/watch/...11bRV9dWlJdUlNR

The video stops there, but once I get in the game, my pattern is just solid. It only shows the color of the last pallette color I choose. So what am I doing wrong? Can someone help me? A video and/or pics would be really helpful (you can record what happens on your screen at screentoaster.com), but if you can explain it well enough without then please do! I really want to get this done!

Ok, I see the problem, you are copying the channels of your original image into the channels of the new one. You want to copy the LAYERS from the original, into the CHANNELS of the new. Each channel should be black and white, not shades (unless you want the whole thing to change color with one click.) A quick example:

If this is your original image you want to make into a pattern (I know ugly, just a quick example)

First make the pattern white, and background black:

Then make background white, and pattern black:

THOSE are your 2 channels, like so:

Then your colors will be very distinct in Delphy's amazing tool:

Hope this all makes sense...
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 8:28 AM Last edited by t0b1a5 : 9th Jun 2009 at 8:42 AM.
Ok. Is this right so far?

I got to this point, composed the colors, then imported it into the game. I still get the solid color though. I'm still doing something wrong.
#4 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 8:51 AM
Well, that looks right, not sure what's going wrong. I have no experience with Gimp, so maybe you're saving under the wrong format for the DDS? I think I read somewhere in Gimp it needs to be the R8G8 (or something like that) format, and not default, but I really don't know. Sorry I can't be more help...
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#5 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 11:32 AM
Save it as Compression: None, Format RGBA8.

Also, are you assuming your blue channel to be the background colour? Becuase the blue channel goes on TOP of the other channels - so if you select a 3 channel pattern in the DPP then you'll get a solid block of colour.

If you want a 3 colour pattern with background + 2 changeable areas, you need to make the Red channel pure white, and then layer the Green and Blue on top. Think of it from bottom to top in the channels box. The stuff on the bottom goes on top of the pattern in game.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:06 PM
Save it as RGBA8? I tried making changes, but I don't know how to save it that way. I switched the order of the lyers, and made the red layer white. The pattern still comes out solid in the game.
#7 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:22 PM
Save it as RGBA8? I tried making changes, but I don't know how to save it that way. I switched the order of the lyers, and made the red layer white. The pattern still comes out solid in the game.

When you save your DDS there are some boxes that say "default" as the save format, clicking one of those should bring up other format options, select the one that says RG8A8, then save.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:24 AM Last edited by t0b1a5 : 10th Jun 2009 at 1:35 AM.
*Gasp* That worked! Wow! Thank you guys so much!!!! One last question. Is there a way to tile an image in GIMP?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#9 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:36 AM
No probs, glad you got it working.

#10 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 2:29 AM
*Gasp* That worked! Wow! Thank you guys so much!!!! One last question. Is there a way to tile an image in GIMP?

Glad you got it working, as for tiling an image in GIMP, I'm sure there are tutorials you can find using google or whatever, I know there's a ton for photoshop, can't be that different.
Test Subject
#11 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 5:55 PM Last edited by nanomag : 13th Jun 2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: resolved
Hi, Could you please give your gimp xcf file ? or show the screenshots

I had a one color in the game I didn't saw the pattern.

Now with doing the same thing that in your video, i'v got the pattern showing on the object but the colors are not independant.

When I change one in the little selector, the 2 others change also on the object, not on the selectors. It's like my 3 layers were only one layer in the game. the colours seems to be added together

(I've got only inkscape and gimp)

Just follow the tutoriel from MetalKat
http://nene.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=346544
Screenshots
Test Subject
#12 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Save it as Compression: None, Format RGBA8.

THANK YOU! <3

I was trying to make a pattern with 3 colors on the Gimp. No matter what I did, only the top color (from the blue channel) would show up in the game as a paint-bucket fill.

Changing the format to RGBA8 instead of 'default' made both my pattern and all three of my colors actually show up correctly.

I've been breaking my head open for the last 2 hours trying to figure out why my pattern wouldn't show up, so I'm extremely glad I ran into your post.

I wish the tutorial on the wiki had mentioned something about this and saved me those 2 hours of frustration.

~This Space for Rent~
Eminence Grise
#13 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 9:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Laceiba1924
I wish the tutorial on the wiki had mentioned something about this and saved me those 2 hours of frustration.

The tutorial states exactly what format to save in.
#14 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 9:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
The tutorial states exactly what format to save in.

Straight from the tutorial:

Quote:
In Gimp, Compression should be set to None, Format set to Default, and tick Generate Mipmaps. If you get an error complaining about volume maps, just ignore it.

It clearly says to use default format in Gimp, which is incorrect, no offense to HP, it's still a great tut!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#15 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:54 AM
Tutorial has now been fixed.

Test Subject
#16 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 5:17 PM
Thanks! You guys are awesome, hehehe.

~This Space for Rent~
Eminence Grise
#17 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 12:30 AM
Ahhhh sorry you're right snaitf -- I was going by the screen, which is for Photoshop.