Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 8:31 PM
Default Only one recolourable channel? Can I do it?
If I want to have an image on a pattern that isn't recolourable and only have the background recolourable, how would I go about it? I just tried a few ways but the image changes to rgb no matter what I do. Is there a trick to this? I'm doing the offsets myself.

I tried just hiding the image as I did the background in red, didn't work. I end up with the image merged in with the recolour.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 8:36 PM
That would just be a stencil, and you'd need to use the CTU. If you're making a pattern, you want to give people all the options they can get. Limiting it to only one recolorable channel will limit who's going to want to use it.

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 10:01 PM
No, this is for childrens wallpaper and bedding, etc. The characters would be ridiculous coloured and they generally appear as the same colours everywhere.

The problem then would be, how to make a stencil a pattern. I did actually try using the alpha as you would a stencil when trying to make a pattern, but it doesn't work
Scholar
#4 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 10:31 PM
I'm pretty sure you're not going to be able to do that. My advice is to set the default colors the way you want them and leave it at that.

Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 10:52 PM
I want the default colours the same as the colours in the original images and so would anyone else who saw what I'm doing. The shades are too subtle to reproduce properly using the rgb method and I'm also under the impression we can only have 4 colours to a pattern including background. I know we can make it so the background isn't changeable and that's one colour, so why not several colours. I'll plod on trying and see if I come up with anything. I doubt if it's impossible, stencils can stay the original colour, it's just a case of learning to get the stencil method to apply in other items. There are many items in game with this happening and the image isn't recolourable. I'm not the only one looking for this answer right now, so I'm not the only one who wants this.
Scholar
#6 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 10:55 PM
You're not the only one, I've been trying to do something like this for about a month now, I've had no luck. I guess I didn't realize exactly what you were talking about until now. If I'm able to finally get it to work, I'll let you know.

Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 12:54 AM
Yeah, I'll keep going too and share anything I find. I can tell you I tried to do it just as an actual wallpaper which didn't work, although I'll try again. Problem is I want bedding and things to match. With cartoon characters it would be silly to change the colours. Remember all the hello kitty stuff we had for sims 2, I loved all that and if I can't recour then I don't care, I'd be happy to have wallpaper that isn't recolourable as long as I liked it, I'm sure others would too.

I'll let you know if I work anything out
Field Researcher
#8 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 2:48 PM
Maybe you could crack open the xml of the package you created and try adding something like uiVisible="false" to the colors you don't want to show up in CAST. This could, of course, not work; heck, it could cause your game to explode. I haven't tried it. I'm just offering a guess.

Sorry, if this was a stupid reply: I have no idea what you've tried already.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 2:34 AM
lol, I don't have the guts to give that a try Jane, I'm sure I'd mess it up. There has to be a way. I learn something new every day and I'll get there somehow, even if someone else gets it first and then tells me how to do it hahaha.

It's more like applying a stencil to an object rather than a clothing item. If I was to block colours from showing, would that not affect the background and people's ability to colour that?
Eminence Grise
#10 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 8:21 AM
The only part of a pattern you can make non-recolorable is the background color, which you can set to anything you want (it's black by default). So you CAN make a part of a pattern non-recolorable, but that only applies to one color.

I'm not sure why you'd WANT to make a non-recolorable pattern, though. Set the default colors to the ones you want; if somebody chooses to change them to something else, what's the harm?

It is possible, also, to put stencil-type fixed images on objects as well as clothes. That would be appropriate if you want a fixed image in fixed colors in a fixed location on a particular object. We see that in various in-game objects, like the floral decoration on the country cabinets and columns, and the various stained glass items. I don't know how to add such an image myself (though I know how to remove them, heh); I'm not sure if anybody does, but the place to go for answers would be the meshing forum.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 8:38 AM
Srikandi. We want to do this to enable us to make items like wallpaper with logo's on them. I don't see why having a recolourable pooh bear would be necessary. The problem is that when you make it, the logo or design colours along with the wallpaper. It would have to not change with the background wallpaper. We have discussed that here and I'm not the only one trying to work it out.

Why can't you just change the overlay in the furniture to apply a new stencil to it? I haven't looked into that but I could. Problem is, it's not furniture I'm trying to fix
Eminence Grise
#12 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 9:03 AM
Walls and floors are objects like furniture; they can be cloned and the various associated image files modified. That's not a pattern issue though There's a thread on wall and floor pattern regions in the modding forum, which while not directly relevant might help: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=365466

Not sure what you mean by saying that with a pattern, the logo colors change if you change the background color. They shouldn't, if your pattern is properly constructed; each channel is colored independently of the others.

When I was talking about the "background color" being the one non-player-changeable color in a pattern, though, I didn't mean the color that occupies the area of the pattern behind the logo. I meant the color that shows up in parts of the pattern where there are black pixels in all four pattern channels (R, G, B, Alpha). Any region that is not colored in one of those four channels takes on the background color, which you can set in Delphy's Pattern Packager and which the player can't touch in-game. If you have a single-color logo, that's a perfect way to make it non-recolorable. If your logo has multiple colors, you're out of luck.

Obviously, if your logo has a LOT of colors, you won't be able to simulate it with a pattern at all. You can get more than three colors by using different transparency levels in your three channels, though. Semi-transparent colors will blend, leading to a wide range of (recolorable) colors.

But yes, if for reasons of corporate identity you need to absolutely prevent a player from recoloring your logo ever, and if you need more than one non-player-changeable color, patterns are not your answer.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 3:06 PM
What I want is to make childrens wallpaper, with things like winnie the pooh or mickey mouse. I would want to be able to recolour the background while the actual logo/image/stencil, or whatever stayed exactly the same. Even maybe have a logo on a striped wallpaper, I could change the colour of the stripes, but not give mickey mouse a blue face in the process. I know we can clone wallpapaer, I tried applying a stencil to this and it showed up but the logo recoloured too. I need to work more on I suspect. I got fed up with trying after a bit but I'll go back to it as I'm finding making clothes difficult right now due to mesh parts being missing and my inability to learn milkshape quickly