Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#51 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 1:53 PM
@HarVee @GrijzePilion

Some more early pics, I still can't find any with significant difference from the release version.

Did anyone get this version?

I have it but lost the plumbob.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 2:15 PM
@simsample I did, back at new year's eve 2010 lost the plumbob too though.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 2:32 PM
I ordered one off eBay, but it never arrived and the seller refuses to give me my money back. Needless to say, that was not only the first but also the last time I buy something off eBay. No matter how credible and popular the seller might appear to be (and I made SURE), you're gonna have a bad time. So now I'm having to figure out how to rip someone else off for the sum of €62.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#54 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 3:43 PM Last edited by HarVee : 25th Feb 2018 at 5:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Not sure what YOU mean. Just because some scientists managed to put together a jetpack in 1919 doesn't mean that you can buy one from a catalog, let alone fly around with it in public.

You can actually buy one if you've got about $250,000.00 to spare. Both Jetpackaviaton and Martinjetpack have, as of last year, began selling their jet packs to interested inquirers in limited quantities. Problem is most modern jetpacks only have an average flight time of roughly 28 minutes, which means they're impractical for average use. This combined with their expensive purchase and maintenance costs are why we don't commonly see them yet.

However, these are the limits of our reality and have no means to influence the availability of a virtual object in a psuedo-simulation video game. The catalog in The Sims doesn't replicate the real life shopping experience as your sentiment seems to suggest it should. The catalog in The Sims games are there for the convenience of the player. Hiding content because it it's method of obtainment isn't realistic is the opposite of the catalogs function and purpose. And under that guise, then every single object would have to be hidden from the catalog.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Theorist
#55 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 4:05 PM
Sucks about the ebay thing...although they've always been quick to refund me.
I remember the time I bought some Nike trainers from someone. I paid, received the trainers, then the geezer complained (no idea what about!?) and then ebay found the case in my favour and gave the refund. I still have those cool Nike Huaraches. LOL.
Unfortunately I was using my mums account that day to purchase. She merely laughed at my suggestion that the money should go to me.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#56 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
You can actually buy one if you've got about $250,000.00 to spare.

Are we really going to make an argument out of this?

Okay, you know what, look. Just because some rich fucks can afford this or that infant technology that doesn't have any practical use doesn't mean that everyone can. Yes we have jetpacks and holograms and VR sex machines and whatnot but no one uses them, and thus we can't pretend that they're a part of everyday life. And THAT'S what makes it sci-fi. You give me a $3000 jetpack that your grandmother could use, that's completely safe and easy to get in and out of, that's completely legal to use and that's quiet enough to be usable without any hearing protection whatsoever, and then MAYBE we can start to consider it an established technology.

I've had this arguments before. Yes we had HDTVs in 1988, PCs in 1977, cars in 1885 and god knows what else but it's no good if no one uses it. Cars weren't considered a fact of life until traffic jams started to become a regular occurance and that didn't really happen until at least 40 years after 1885.

Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Sucks about the ebay thing...although they've always been quick to refund me.
I remember the time I bought some Nike trainers from someone. I paid, received the trainers, then the geezer complained (no idea what about!?) and then ebay found the case in my favour and gave the refund. I still have those cool Nike Huaraches. LOL.
Unfortunately I was using my mums account that day to purchase. She merely laughed at my suggestion that the money should go to me.

I made the mistake of using a guest account which expired after my purchase. Ebay required me to make a full account to ask a refund but when I did, it'd conveniently forgotten about my purchase at all. So I contacted the seller and without hard proof of my package never arriving (save for a screenshot of a USPS tracker which, I admit, easily could've been shopped) they weren't inclined to help me at all.

But that doesn't change the fact that I'm still owed 62 of my finest Euros, and that I'll be a lot less hesitant to pass along the misfortune should I ever be in their position. It's not that I don't disapprove of ripping people off but I'm sure as hell not going to be the change I want to see in the world.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#57 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 4:56 PM
Are we really going to make an argument out of this?

You turned it into an argument. Not we. I just posted some facts with a rebuttal of how your suggestion to hide content under the guise of "realism" is non-applicable to a video game.

Mad Poster
#58 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 5:03 PM
Realism - no, sorry, "realism" - is nonapplicable to video games? So video games MUST be inherently unrealistic? Well this is a life simulator isn't it? Why not just do away with money then too? How about needs? How about 3D space, the universe, and the laws of physics? Who needs any of that realism shit, anyway? It's just inconvenient.
Personally I like my video games to be pitch black and completely void of gameplay. It's closer to the crippling, terrifying sensation that we are nothing but tiny specs of life in the vast endlessness of the galaxy, waiting to be turned back into the matter that makes up all life in the universe. But with less gameplay, because gameplay is too "realistic".

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#59 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 5:09 PM
So video games MUST be inherently unrealistic? This is a life simulator isn't it? Why not just do away with money then too? How about needs? How about 3D space, the universe, and the laws of physics?
Personally I like my video games to be pitch black and completely void of gameplay. Like the universe, but with less gameplay because gameplay is too "realistic".

Yes. It's a life simulator. But not once, anywhere on the box, in its title or in the game-play itself does the game clearly state that the purpose of the game is to replicate our own life as we know it with utmost accuracy. If thus were the case, extraterrestrial, vampire, zombie, and fairy sims would not be simulated in the game.

It may be a simulator, but it's still a video game first and foremost. And like all video games, liberties will be taken in favour of entertainment, which is the primary goal of any piece of entertainment software.

Scholar
Original Poster
#60 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 5:23 PM
should we get back on track now?

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#61 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 5:37 PM
Yes, we should.

insert signature here
Top Secret Researcher
#62 Old 26th Feb 2018 at 2:52 PM Last edited by Emmett Brown : 26th Feb 2018 at 3:10 PM.
"Pleasant Valley"... I like that for a world name. I've made a world called "Prototype 5", because I'm not very good at times. "Pleasant valley".
I think Instead of "Prototype 6, my next world will be...

Okay... forget jet packs. Why can I buy a sonic shower, hover board, hover car or food replicator in the present?

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#63 Old 26th Feb 2018 at 3:41 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 26th Feb 2018 at 3:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Okay... forget jet packs. Why can I buy a sonic shower, hover board, hover car or food replicator in the present?

I'm sure there's a control panel for the real world somewhere. Probably deep inside some government facility somewhere. Now you look for the keyboard on that mother, you press F2, and go and spawn some stuff from that catalog. Actually, I say "spawn"; I meant "replicate". They'll have that tech now, obviously.

Now the fun thing is that because all of these technologies have been featured in Star Trek at one point or another, nerds have gone to GREAT lengths to dissect and explain them. You can look any of them up and you'll find a whole bunch of pages from Memory Alpha or TrekBBS or wherever people talk about these things. Which means that it's easy to draw conclusions about whether these technologies are theoretically possible or not.
Which means that you'll be able to determine if we'll ever see anything in the real world that would resemble these technologies. And for most of them, yes, we probably will.

Sonic shower: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/cou...lly-work.41317/
Hovering- and anti-gravity technology: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/hig...ar-trek.181216/
Replicator: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repli...and_limitations

And since replicators work on the same energy-matter conversion basis as holodecks (a technology not seen in The Sims, unfortunately), there's potential for that too.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 25th May 2020 at 12:52 AM
the lighting in those pictures just look SO GOOD! idk WHAT happened... when i play the sims 3, everything is just so shiny for some reason...

22. male. he/him. autistic.
REST IN PEACE JOTARO KUJO. JUNE 2020 - JANUARY 2021.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 25th May 2020 at 2:46 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 25th May 2020 at 2:58 AM.
Definitely a necrobump, but I do also like the softness(?) & contrast of the lighting, and that everything felt more cohesive? There was also stuff like actual clouds (the effect is still there, but it's graphically buggy)

Then again, those could have been renders, or they could have just downgraded things to make it actually run on the average 32-bit potato.

I.e.
Early shot (lots of late 2000s bloom and muted colors):

Pre-release shot:

Riverview preview (postrelease):
Mad Poster
#67 Old 25th May 2020 at 2:57 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 25th May 2020 at 12:41 PM.
They definitely were staged (and likely tweaked), but it's still a bit strange seeing how the contrast was dialed back on everything.

It can be fixed via weather mods, but the screenshot-game disparities are still puzzling.

Also interesting seeing these plants in the pre-release shots, and their post-release equivalents. As far as I know, they all still exist, but the greens are far more saturated, the hedges are smaller, and they all seem a bit flatter (maybe photoshop, maybe a shader that got removed?)

Mad Poster
#68 Old 25th May 2020 at 10:04 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 25th May 2020 at 10:20 PM.
It's true that TS3 has never been good with contrast. The game's environments suffer from a very poor dynamic range....someone needs to explain to late 2000s EA that the sun is a giant ball made up of constant nuclear explosions, not a very large but faded lightbulb hanging in the sky.

You have to understand that it's deliberate though, as the washed out look does make it easier on low-end LCD monitors (which there were plenty of in 2009). On today's crisp OLED screens it just doesn't hold up. Lighting mods and Reshade help, but you'll never be getting something that comes close to any of today's true HDR games. It's a totally different sort of ballpark when you walk into a store in Read Dead Redemption 2, in 4K of course, and you can see both the sun-soaked outside and the dark store interior in full realistic contrast. It's making your own eyes do all the work, not the game itself. Meanwhile, all of TS3 is squeezed into a very small portion of the dynamic range you're seeing at that moment.

And that's the thing, you don't understand how revolutionary things like 4K and HDR are until you see them for yourself in a new context.....but that does bring with it the realization that all your favourite older media may never be seen in that way. Case in point: all the online buzz last year when a true 4K remaster of Wham's Last Christmas music video was released. And man, does it look stellar compared to the now ancient 480p SDTV standard. I can barely even look at most 720p video anymore. The lack of fine detail, the often atrocious bitrates. You wouldn't think it, but we might as well start throwing away anything that was filmed digitally before 2017 or so.

insert signature here
Instructor
#69 Old 26th May 2020 at 2:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Did anyone get this version?

I have it but lost the plumbob.

My brother or I or don't know who messed up the plumbob, it is broken, we can not put the pendrive in it, but it is our only pendrive with big space, and we use it without it's case still to this day.
Forum Resident
#70 Old 26th May 2020 at 6:53 PM
Here are some screenshots I have.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Mad Poster
#71 Old 27th May 2020 at 1:05 PM
Real time advertising? No, I don't remember that, but that's the exact sort of bad late 2000s attempts at integrating the internet into video games that I'm not surprised by. This was when DLC was first starting to catch on and everyone, EA included, started putting web portals and shitty launchers on all their games so they could force-feed you updates and sell your data.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 27th May 2020 at 7:23 PM
Did they ever explain why they decided to scrap clothing stores in the end? It would’ve likely been comparable to purchasing clothes in TS2, which some players missed in TS3. It makes me wonder what other gameplay elements were cut along the way. There isn’t much in the way of information about it online.

I know there’s a mod here that enabled a stock market function found in the code in-game, but unfortunately it hasn’t been updated to 1.67/1.69. I also vaguely remember someone talking about some sort of space simulator that they found partial code for, and gamefreak130’s advice interactions mod was based on unused moodlet icons found in the game’s code. I wonder if any other features could be recovered
Forum Resident
#73 Old 27th May 2020 at 7:58 PM
If I remember correctly, the reason for deciding to leave out the clothing store is because players kept complaining about buying clothes in TS2. However it's not that buying clothes in and of itself, from what I understood, is the issue but the loading screens and having to wait to buy clothes. TS3 was the perfect opportunity to showcase open shopping, open dining and OFB gameplay in my opinion. Another reason I think I read was it is better having all the clothes available but I much prefer having wardrobes and buying clothes. Don't remember where I heard or read that from so who knows, maybe it's a false memory, lol. I've watched so many early developer videos and read a few articles so I'm not sure.

I wonder if clothing stores did exist what about CASt? My guess would be you choose a top, bottom, outfit, etc CASt it, confirm and after that it's kind of set in stone unless you buy the same top, bottom, outfit, etc but use CASt for a different design/look. I forget, is that how it was in TS2 in terms of presets or could you just change at any time?

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Mad Poster
#74 Old 27th May 2020 at 9:04 PM
Sims had one outfit of every category on them at all times, but had to buy new ones at a community lot or go home to change into a different one. Presets were sold seperately.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#75 Old 27th May 2020 at 9:56 PM
I think ani's Shop for Clothes mod (http://modthesims.info/d/412721/sho...-1-63-1-67.html) would have worked perfectly fine as a solution.

Instead of shopping for individual clothing pieces, your sim 'purchases' an outfit slot- and the only way to change the clothing in a slot would be to 'repurchase' it- with possibly discounts based on what clothing pieces are flagged as 'owned'. Recoloring would be free, and done at the drawer.

It's not as realistic as shopping for individual pieces, but less of a hassle IMO.
Page 3 of 4