Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#876 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 1:01 AM
Oliver Sacks' The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and James Herbert's The Secret of Crickley Hall. The first is interesting as all heck but a bit stuffy, and the latter seems a bit amateur, what with unrealistic exposition dumps and other peeves of mine... the plot would be really interesting if the writing didn't bother me so much.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#877 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 1:58 AM
The Almshouse by Blanche King. The story is very engaging--a ghost story similar to The Lovely Bones. Blanche did a good job creating a separate society of ghosts that are still on Earth.There are laws and barriers for certain things such as moving on to Heaven, and also possessing a living person. Definitely has its flaws. I don't call it scary, but it's an emotional read for me because it touches on death and the afterlife on a personal level.
Mad Poster
#878 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 10:22 PM
I finished Eragon a while ago and recently started reading the second book in the series, Eldest. Quite entertaining.
Scholar
#879 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 7:34 AM
High-Rise.

Quick read, nice little society-breakdown themed novel. I hated every character in it.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Lab Assistant
#880 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 10:53 PM
Just finished Into Thin Air. About to start The Man Who Ate Everything.

Back to Sims after a 2-year hiatus!

Blogs, to be resurrected once I get a new graphics card load TS3 on my new computer:
STEALIE NICKS Klepto King Challenge (updated 9/16/14)
THE HOUSE OF MOODICI (the Altos' Renaissance in Riverview)

my EA forums page
Scholar
#882 Old 27th Jan 2016 at 8:21 PM
Just finished reading Reality Boy by A.S. King

4/5 the ending, for me was a little rushed, but overall an enjoyable story.
Rubric Wrangler
#883 Old 29th Jan 2016 at 9:12 PM Last edited by PharaohHound : 29th Jan 2016 at 9:24 PM.
Finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman a couple days ago. Lovely little book, great characters.

Currently listening to the audiobook of David Copperfield. Not too far into it. As with other Dickens I've read, very easy (for that time period) and fantastic descriptions and good (albeit somewhat moralized) characters. This Steerforth kid is insufferable so far.

Halfway through The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. It's a very enjoyable story so far (well, "enjoyable" would be a stretch for that one very gruesome scene, but otherwise yes), but I'm not sure if the deeper themes are sitting well with me. Will have to see how the rest goes, should be done in another week if I keep up the current pace

For re-reads, Anna Karenina has not gotten much attention lately, but golly I love this book. It's much better the second time, too, since I don't have to struggle with remembering the characters. I love Stepan so much. Also working my way through Beowulf translated by Seamus Heaney again.

On my "to-read" shelf I've got (in no particular order) Night by Elie Weisel, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, and Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Need to pick up some more Doestoyevsky (looking at The Idiot, The Brothers Karamazov and Notes From the Underground).

The meadows are in bloom:
who has ever seen such insolence?

simblr
Banned
#884 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 4:16 AM
Nothing right now though I am doing a Goodreads year round challenge. I'm two books behind right now. Though when I go to work i do bring my tote of paperbacks with me.
Test Subject
#885 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 7:12 PM
i'm currently working my way through the 'required reading' to be able to understand and enjoy reading ulysses by james joyce - most books i pirate straight to my kindle, but i went and brought a physical copy of this mammoth as encouragement to start reading the greeks and joyce's other works. not that i ended up really needing it - i'm over halfway through mythology by edith hamilton and am absolutely loving it and cannot wait to get onto reading homer's iliad and odyssey.

i'm actually ahead on the goodreads challenge this year! my goodreads doesn't have many books since i've only really just started reading properly this year and i cherry-picked the books i added so it'd give me decent recommendations, but here is my goodreads profile.
Scholar
#886 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 4:09 PM
Currently reading The Honourable Schoolboy by John le Carré. Espionage books like this will forever be my favourite kinds of books, especially those set during WW2 or the cold war. The most entertaining book I read in 2016 was A Perfect Spy, there were no surprises but it met all my expectations
Mad Poster
#887 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 1:49 AM
The Sims Hot Date Strategy Guide by Prima.

I have a certain pleasure in seeing alternative routes to the gameplay.

Besides, I have work to do to learn from the dozens of books I bought.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#888 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 9:12 PM
At the moment I'm switching between "Magnus Chase - The Hammer of Thor" by Rick Riordan (nighttime reading), and re-reading "Keeping it Real" by Justina Robson (on-the-bus reading). I've unsuccessfully been looking all over for the second book in that series, but at the moment it appears I've packed it with my other books in the stack of moving boxes. I was so sure I packed the books so I could easily find them, but maybe I didn't. It's a shame, because I really wanted to finally read the whole series (I only read the first one before I got distracted by something else, and it's been over ten years). I only have the 1st, 2nd and 4th book, though, so I'll probably have to find the rest on Amazon or something.
Top Secret Researcher
#889 Old 13th May 2017 at 11:07 PM
"Dark matter" by Phillip Kerr. It's set in 17th century London featuring Isaac Newton. I'm enjoying it, far more than the last two tedious books I (tried to) read.
Mad Poster
#890 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 1:25 AM
Captain Underpants, Book 1 (The Adventures of Captain Underpants)

This book inspired me to pursue working on comics. It was still hilarious even after 20 years.

Then again, I was a troublemaker and a student with the IQ of a university professor. The fact I had the skills and resources to cause chaos was reason enough to leave Redmond, Washington because it was devoid of non-conformity. It's not like I blasted video game soundtracks over the Intercom for 6 hours straight. Then again, it would have been punishment enough to play Weird Al.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#891 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 9:31 PM
Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban (backpack book for bus rides), and the illustrated version of Chamber of secrets (bedtime reading).

Been a while since I read them, so I kind of wanted to read the series again after the illustrated versions started coming out. I already finished the illustrated Philosopher's stone a short while back, but I'll have to wait a few months for the illustrated PoA.
Top Secret Researcher
#892 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 2:16 AM
Just finished According to Yes by Dawn French (not recommended) and am now halfway through Divergent by Veronica Roth.
Space Pony
#893 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 8:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
Just finished According to Yes by Dawn French (not recommended) and am now halfway through Divergent by Veronica Roth.

Divergent is worth the time(II read it 4 times:D) but V.Roth ruined the whole series for me in Allegiant.I felt like she ran out of ideas writing it and just jotted down anything that poped into her mind.I didn't even finish the book so if you find yourself in love with the first to books, don't read allegiant :D
Space Pony
#894 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 8:51 AM
I'm currently reading "gardner's art through the ages" cuz I have a university entrance exam coming up in 10 days,but I'm really looking forward to reading 1984 by Orwell.
Scholar
#895 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 5:14 PM
Red Sister by Mark Lawrence. It's pretty good so far, and I like how its in the same universe as The Prince of Thorns.
Mad Poster
#896 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 5:42 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 21st Aug 2017 at 6:02 PM.
"Everything, Everything" by Nicola Yoon. Somewhat predictable, but still entertaining and engaging, and the book doesn't have a standard outlay, which I like.

I did in various parts of the book have some "this isn't quite right" moments, but probably because I am a nurse (and medical geek), so I'm not sure if a lot of other people would spot it.
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#897 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 7:12 PM
I'm actually reading a spanish book, it's called "El secreto del hombre muerto" which means the secret of the dead man, it's really interesting and creepy.

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita
Mad Poster
#898 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 11:46 AM
Suffering through "the Man in the High Castle" by Phillip Dick. I watched the show on Amazon prime. Was it good? Couldn't say. The sound production was so bad that I couldn't hear half of it. I researched that on the interwebs and discovered it's a common complaint with the show.

So, I thought I would throw some money at Amazon and buy the book. I knew I would regret it because I'm not a Phillip Dick fan.

I was right. I'm a good 69% through the book now and the only thing that has happened is some guys are making jewelry and one of the men wants to quit. Oh, and there's a spy story that just won't get going, but three of them just had a meeting, so maybe the last 30% will be exciting, but I highly doubt it. In other news, a couple of people are reading the same book about what would have happened if the Allies had won WWII. So, every great once in a while, the action (if you can call it that) will stop while the characters philosophize about that.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#899 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 1:30 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Jan 2018 at 3:02 AM.
Started "The Casual Vacancy" by JKR sometime before Xmas (I had nothing else to read, and got the book for Christmas some 3-4 years ago, so I decided to give it a go). It's about as slow-paced as I thought it would be, and so far there's only been a few mildly interesting things happening. I'm roughly 3/4 through the book, and I still keep getting a few of the characters confused, probably since the POV changes person up to 2-3 times each page, occasionally mid-sentence. Even though it's interesting to see one of my favorite authors do something out of her comfort zone, I'd still say 'stick to fantasy, JKR'.
Mad Poster
#900 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 11:40 AM Last edited by smorbie1 : 16th Jan 2018 at 4:19 PM.
OMG! Do not bother with the Man in the High Castle or anything by Phillip K. Dick, ever. That was a horrible story! Just stupid.

All of the above is told in broken English with few complete sentences. The pertinent parts are mostly hinted at. Crap. The book was crap. I also learned far more about the I cheng than I ever wanted to know. Apparently, Dick was fascinated by it and fashioned the ENTIRE story around it.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Page 36 of 41