Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 11:22 PM
Default How to stop getting roommates
I asked Bill Misfit to be a roommate but couldnt propose anything and have him as a permanent household member, so i dismissed him hoping the option would show up. Since then, i keep getting strangers showing up and living there. I didn't sign up for roommates but they keep showing up. Even if i dismiss them, a new one takes their place. I don't know how to disable it.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 11:38 PM
I had that problem. I think I moved my household out and it fixed it, or else there was something to do with Master Controller or Story Progression. Since then I am never going near roommates again. They are terrible.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
I had that problem. I think I moved my household out and it fixed it, or else there was something to do with Master Controller or Story Progression. Since then I am never going near roommates again. They are terrible.

I agree, moving out, or even saving the family to the bin and re-place them back to the lot will likely fix these kinds of problems. You may have to reconnect some of the friendships/connections/purchased properties. But that is what Master Controller is for.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 11:57 PM
Once you ask a sim to be a roommate, you have signed up for the town's renewable roommate service whether you wanted that or not. Gosh, doesn't anyone read the fine print on these agreements anymore?

To stop them from sending new roommates over upon dismissal, have your sim call up and cancel the service. It's on the phone menu, but I believe under Real Estate and Travel, not where the other services like maids and butlers are found. Unless your lot type happens to be Apartment rather than Regular Residential, in which case all bets are off.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 12:01 AM
This is something new I never bothered to try. Roommate means .... a random sim will appear and added to your household that you gain full control of? Or a new NPC added to that NPC door in apartment lot? Or anything else I haven't said?

Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
This is something new I never bothered to try. Roommate means .... a random sim will appear and added to your household that you gain full control of? Or a new NPC added to that NPC door in apartment lot? Or anything else I haven't said?

Something a bit in between. A roommate is an NPC who shares living space with your sim and pays them rent. They appear to be part of your household, and you can interact with them, but they are not controllable. They have their own finances as well (as part of the town's NPC household, the game just takes care of all that for them anyway). How well-behaved they are tends to be trait-related and is kind of the luck of the draw.

They can be fun to have around and they can be incredibly annoying. Had one who kept driving off in one of my sims' cars and leaving it who knows where in town until I learned to stop leaving the car in the garage (duh). A couple of them have brought pets into the house, ignored them, and then left them behind for my sims to take care of after moving out. But a few other experiences have been a bit more positive.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Something a bit in between. A roommate is an NPC who shares living space with your sim and pays them rent. They appear to be part of your household, and you can interact with them, but they are not controllable. They have their own finances as well (as part of the town's NPC household, the game just takes care of all that for them anyway). How well-behaved they are tends to be trait-related and is kind of the luck of the draw.

They can be fun to have around and they can be incredibly annoying. Had one who kept driving off in one of my sims' cars and leaving it who knows where in town until I learned to stop leaving the car in the garage (duh). A couple of them have brought pets into the house, ignored them, and then left them behind for my sims to take care of after moving out. But a few other experiences have been a bit more positive.

Wow cool. Well maybe not the car part (who knows how many cars the NPC will collect and lag up your household). But I will definitely give this a try. My way of having a roommate (roleplaying wise) is to just add a sim in the household as another controllable sim and avoid as little interference with that sim as possible. Sure this takes away the randomness/unknown part, which is what this roommate feature brings, I guess. Oh this works only in University world or also home world?

Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 12:27 AM
The concept was brought into the game with the Uni EP (I assume actually the patch that would have come out at that time), but you can have roommates in any world. You get them either by asking one or more friends to become your roommates as social interactions or by picking up the phone and signing up for the roommate service to get the randoms they send over. I don't think the EP is even needed, but others should correct me if I've got that wrong.
#9 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 4:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Once you ask a sim to be a roommate, you have signed up for the town's renewable roommate service whether you wanted that or not. Gosh, doesn't anyone read the fine print on these agreements anymore?

To stop them from sending new roommates over upon dismissal, have your sim call up and cancel the service. It's on the phone menu, but I believe under Real Estate and Travel, not where the other services like maids and butlers are found. Unless your lot type happens to be Apartment rather than Regular Residential, in which case all bets are off.

Yeah... I was killing those cheeky invaders to my home until I realized they were just room mates, and I could have stopped them by using the phone -> real estate -> room mate services.

On the plus side, you can get a 10,000 lifetime happiness points if you bring them back to life. So, three dead roommates...
Mad Poster
#10 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 5:27 AM
I've been planning to just add playable sims to the household as roommates and eventually move them out even in UL apartments because I put in a Mod to allow me to disable the roommate service in those lots.Using playable sims as roommates means that they've been added to the town's population and are still playable when they move out to their own place.