Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Dec 2018 at 2:06 AM
Default Questions about family relationships in Strangetown
Been years since I have played in Strangetown but last week decided to play it again. Started with the Singles girls and had them start manhunting and procreating. Noticed that two of them were daughters of Glarn Curious and half sisters to the Curious brothers and also half sister to Jenny Smith, wife to PT9 Smith who was the girls' progenitor. This raised questions in my mind about ages. I looked at all the pics and noticed that Glarn was with a red-haired woman when the twins were born but a blond in pics with Jenny and the boys. Hmm, which came first. I checked their ages in the game. That told me that jenny was 14 days older than Pascal, who was 4 days older than Vidcund, and Vidcund 5 days older than Lazlo. But Pascal was only 1 day older than Lola and Chloe was the same age as Lazlo. Waaait a minute. The pics show Lola and Chloe were twins. How can one be 8 days older? And in one pic Jenny is a child while Pascal and Vidcund are toddlers and Lazlo not born yet. SimPE told me that the red-haired woman must be Glabe Curious while the blond is Kitty Curious. Glabe is not mentioned in any of the family trees but...who is she? Did Glarn have two wives? Or a mistress who took his name? A pic shows Glabe lecturing the girls as children, so she must have raised them. Nothing tells when Glarn died. Another mystery is his pictures. His pic in the family tree looks nothing like the ones with either of his families.

Anyway, has anyone who has played this crew come up with a backstory to explain this tangle? Or suggestions as to how to adjust the ages to make them match the pics?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Dec 2018 at 2:25 AM
Actually, the pictures do not show that Lola and Chloe are twins. What they show are two infants, a clearly pregnant Glarn, and a weeping redhead (presumed to be Glabe). This is the core of my backstory that General Buzz's predecessor decided to terminate all the alien infants he had squirreled away in a secret creche on base, where Glabe was a nurse. Glarn gave birth to Chloe, and Glabe rescued both of his girls and went on the lam. I think if you look more closely at the family tree, you'll find that the blonde is not Glabe, but Kitty. This explains why Lola and Chloe have no relationship with any of their other family members - they've only recently returned to Strangetown to seek the truth of their origins and tell Glarn that Glabe is dead.

Don't make yourself crazy with this. If you rely on the memories, Buck is older than Nervous, since Olive remembers Lyla's death first and Nervous's birth later. Make a backstory that makes sense to you, and tweak the ages and relationships that bug you.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Dec 2018 at 3:40 AM
Decide for yourself on the ages and if the girls are twins or not. Maxis was known not to keep ages/pictures in sync and the stories are just suggestions for you to make your own stories with.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#4 Old 29th Dec 2018 at 6:48 AM
What Joe said.

Plus, if you like you can also create your own version of those events by playing Marka88's "Beginning of Strangetown" neighbourhood. Then you can play out how you think everything should have happened.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Alchemist
#5 Old 29th Dec 2018 at 8:16 PM
the wikia site tells that Lola & Chloe are twins.
days left could be explained by various combinations of either aging 1 day earlier than the other in age transitions and the "younger" one using Elixir.
1 occurrence of Lola aging earlier and Chloe using Elixir 9 times
4 occurrences of Lola aging earlier and Chloe using Elixir 8 times
2 occurrences of Chloe aging earlier and using Elixir 10 times
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Dec 2018 at 9:44 PM
There's also always elixir of life if you want to be extra-super-confused about aging.

I play the premades as part of an uberhood, so there are political and non-local-to-Strangetown bits included in my backstory.

Personally, I think Glarn and Glabe were siblings, and Kitty didn't come into Glarn's life until later. Notzo and Zo were fascinated with aliens, and the first alien abduction, that of Nestor Caliente, was rumored in UFO circles at that time. (Nestor not being entirely stupid, he never confirmed anything to anyone about it, Flamenco was claimed to be Dulcinea's, a home birth, and with them living in Veronaville-my game's Hollywood-no one looked too very closely at family resemblances of newborns when they issued birth certificates.)

If you read a certain strain of old science fiction, there was a time when the consensus was that the aliens were out there, they were going to come and make humanity perfect, etc, very much cribbed from the Christian faith with aliens substituted for Christ. Notzo and Zo were true believers in this faith.

Glarn and Glabe grew up in this rapture is coming any day environment, and, in fact, Glarn's obsession with his parents' belief paid off in twins. (All alien-sim hybrids are twins in my game.) But Glarn and Glabe didn't get uplifted, or enlightened, or raptured, or anything. Glarn met Kitty, Glabe lived with them at first, then moved out to her own place there in Strangetown. She became disillusioned with the alien cult, as it had become, and since she'd been the primary female caretaker of the twins their first five or seven years of life, and continued to stay very involved with her brother's family, she was a huge influence on them, particularly as they got older and couldn't do anything magically super powered like their father believed they should. So I have an alien-worshiping cult, a government of SimCity that mandates all aliens and part-aliens maintain permanent residence in Strangetown, and the two known adult aliens disaffected from the cult and deeply desirous of being considered fully sim, and with no contact with their alien ancestors. Stella Terrano then fits in as an alien child found alive after the crash in Strangetown, the Caliente twins are alien-hybrids in hiding, Jenny Smith lost two babies before birth explaining why two family sims limited their family size to two, and the stage is set for drama: families torn between their hometowns and an unexpected alien baby, a cult that will adopt any male teens who are otherwise unlikely to be adopted, and Lola fighting her way up the career path through SimCity's legal system, hoping to get to a point where she can appeal the Alien Registration Act as unconstitutional, while Chloe works in the background seducing folks to their viewpoint that alien-sim hybrids are sims like any other.

So have fun imagining the family any way that works for you!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#7 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 7:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
the wikia site tells that Lola & Chloe are twins.
days left could be explained by various combinations of either aging 1 day earlier than the other in age transitions and the "younger" one using Elixir.
1 occurrence of Lola aging earlier and Chloe using Elixir 9 times
4 occurrences of Lola aging earlier and Chloe using Elixir 8 times
2 occurrences of Chloe aging earlier and using Elixir 10 times
correction; following combinations::
2 occurrences of Lola aging earlier and Chloe using Elixir 2 times
1 occurrence of Chloe aging earlier and using Elixir 3 times
4 occurrences of Chloe aging earlier and using Elixir 4 times
Mad Poster
#8 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
What Joe said.

Plus, if you like you can also create your own version of those events by playing Marka88's "Beginning of Strangetown" neighbourhood. Then you can play out how you think everything should have happened.

Its marka93 and there located here http://modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#9 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 8:32 PM
I always figured the inconsistencies around Strangetown are due to the laws of time and space getting a little warped around that area.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
#10 Old 1st Jan 2019 at 8:26 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 4th Jan 2019 at 7:50 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I always figured the inconsistencies around Strangetown are due to the laws of time and space getting a little warped around that area.
in past times playing; character aging in Strangetown seemed not much different than character aging in any other neighborhood.

edit::
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
2 occurrences of Lola aging earlier and Chloe using Elixir 2 times
1 occurrence of Chloe aging earlier and using Elixir 3 times
4 occurrences of Chloe aging earlier and using Elixir 4 times
from "Grow Up" memories, it seems the first combination occurred. 2 occurrences of Lola aging a day earlier, 2 times of Chloe using Elixir.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 7:09 PM Last edited by hedgekat : 13th Jan 2019 at 7:32 PM.
I've worked out another reason for the 8 days difference in Lola and Chloe's ages. It's because of their alien genetics. For aliens, their metabolic rates are affected by their personalities. Or perhaps it's the other way around. Intense, driven, ambitious aliens have faster metabolic rates and thus age faster. Lazy, laidback aliens have slower metabolic rates thus age more slowly. Persons in the middle of the range age like humans do. Human-alien hybrids inherit this. Lola wants to achieve important goals. Chloe just wants to have fun. So Lola is aging faster and Chloe slower than the average human. This difference amounted to 1 day at their first transition, 2 days at the second, 4 at the third and 8 full days when transitioning to adult. They will have acquired another 8 days difference by the time they become elders. Anyway that has them being born about midway between Pascal and Laslo. I assume that Glarn was working as a scientist on the military base at the time he was abducted. When his superiors realized he was pregnant they transferred him to another location so his family would know nothing about it. Glabe might have been his sister, or a pretty base staff member that he hooked up with while there. Whichever, she was willing to become foster mother to the girls when Glarn was transferred back home. When the girls became teens they were sent to a girls boarding school in another town near Strangetown. Here they met Erin and Kristen and bonded with them.
Alchemist
#12 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 8:21 PM
as far as I recall, personality never affected any sim's aging.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 8:54 PM
It doesn't - hedgekat was offering that as a headcanon type explanation. It's a way of working the discrepancy into a storyline, not an in-game feature.

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Scholar
#14 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 12:34 AM
I downloaded MeetMeToTheRiver's clean version of Strangetown and resurrected Glabe Curious. She's a red head and has an outgoing personality.
In the clean versions... the dead sims in Olives' graveyard are safe to re-animate.

" Inama Nushif "
Alchemist
#15 Old 22nd Jan 2019 at 8:46 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 23rd Jan 2019 at 7:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nuidyaforever
It doesn't - hedgekat was offering that as a headcanon type explanation. It's a way of working the discrepancy into a storyline, not an in-game feature.
to me game features (past or present) would provide more accurate explanations than headcanon theories.