Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 11:55 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Pets, Seasons
Default Lighting glitch
So basically the lighting on lots in a world im making and also sunset valley looks odd,like there is another lot next to the lot with lights and the light is going underneath the other lot instead of on it? Is this normal or?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 12:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
In the pictures you posted, everything looks normal to me. I use the word 'normal' lightly as the lighting in this game in general is horrible.
It happens with street lamps to, are you sure this is normal? is it like this in your game?
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 12:30 PM
my issue sounds very similar to this persons post http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...edge-of-the-lot so i'm wondering if its just EA and not something wrong with my game ?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 6:13 PM
I'd have to dig through my pictures to find a example, but yes, it is like this in my game along with everybody else's. The effect you're seeing with street lights also occurs with indoor lighting for lots, when trying to put enough light on a sim for a decent picture, ect...

Thanks that would be great if you could, I have ocd and its really bugging me as i cant find any pictures of anyone else's like mine
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 7:21 PM
I agree with Gargoyle Cat- this is usual for the game. It seems to have problems with lighting transitions over lot boundaries and world chunks, as in this thread:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=615535

I remember that when the game was first released, the lighting transitions between lot/world and also over different stories was seamless, but later expansions and patches broke it (intentionally or not, I don't know).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 7:31 PM
Just to be clear, I don't take pictures like the ones you posted. I do however have plenty that show lighting and the problems with it. If you still want to see examples, I'll be happy to share.
yeah if you're ok with sharing
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I agree with Gargoyle Cat- this is usual for the game. It seems to have problems with lighting transitions over lot boundaries and world chunks, as in this thread:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=615535

I remember that when the game was first released, the lighting transitions between lot/world and also over different stories was seamless, but later expansions and patches broke it (intentionally or not, I don't know).
shame EA did't bother keeping it seamless XD I really thought i had a problem with my game at first though now i see everyones is like that i feel releaved, pluss i have only just done a windows reinstall last month so everythings fresh!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 11:50 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 2nd Aug 2018 at 12:29 AM.
The lighting engine is pretty good when you're in a controlled environment. If you can control the position of the sun, the coloration of the atmosphere, the placement, angle and intensity of interior lighting, and if you can make sure that the game or the Sims in it won't mess it up, you can create gorgeous scenes. But that requires setup beyond regular casual gameplay, and you can't fix everything. One of the issues I regularly have, and it's a classic, is the flow of light between different floors. Again, EA broke it and never bothered to unbreak it. Not only that, though. Sometimes objects are virtually immune to light sources. Sometimes objects are embedded in a wall and take over the lighting of the next room over. Sometimes a row of counters or sofa pieces can be lit in such a way that each piece has a different coloration. But there's a workaround for nearly everything and if you're thorough enough to polish every little nook and cranny before you play in it.

But I can definitely see why it's problematic if you just want to play without having to redo every lot you plan on visiting.

Some reference:
Sims facing a flood of natural light in a living room with large wall-height windows on one side. Sims are caught in the global, powerful colours the room is illuminated by. Individial attributes of the room disappear into the whole.

Same room, at night. The main light sources are the television, directly in front of the gang, and a dimmed, Sim-height floor lamp off to their left. The mood is now much more intimate. Great for partying, but not too hard. The close by light sources single out everyone and everything in the room.

An open office space. All lighting in this room is natural. Although that light is not enough to make this office space pleasant to work in, the potential is enormous. In the evening, when the sun is low on the horizon, additional lighting will not be needed to create a desireable mood.....

....and if we scoot over roughly 5 meters to the right, we can see how the natural light still has an effect on the building as a whole. Though not directly visible, the influx of natural light helps to illuminate the windowless corridor inside the building.

Light is the best and easiest way to give life to an environment, and the more light sources you have, the better it's going to look. I put at least two invisible lights in every room because without invisible lights, it's difficult to create spaces that look both realistic and well-considered.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 2:45 AM
Light can spill out into hallways, yeah. There don't seem to be any particular limitations within a single level on a single lot. There's still that nasty thing, of course, where the game thinks a room is not receiving any light at all and colors the whole room a hideous blue. Oh if only that could be killed with fire.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )