Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Nov 2017 at 12:12 AM
Default Converting EA Hair to Alpha?
I mainly use alpha hairs for my sims, and my sim style has eventually adopted them completely. I’ve heard of “clayifying” Alpha hair, but is there a way to convert clay hair to alpha? There are plenty of awesome hairs from the basegame and expansions that I’d love to use and match my style, so any responses would be appreciated!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 24th Nov 2017 at 12:02 PM Last edited by grindingteeth : 25th Nov 2017 at 8:19 PM.
Your best option is just re-texturing. Changing the chunky, stylized texture of the basegame to something more realistic will help them blend in with your other content. You can find downloads already like this.
It's not impossible to make an Alpha hair out of a Clay hair, but the process would be so intensive and inefficient you'd basically be making a whole new mesh, so far as I can concieve.

The difference between Alpha and Clay, is that Alpha is made up mostly of strips, or planes that utilize transparency in the textures, while Clay hair is a solid, sculpted mesh (think helmet hair). In order to make a Clay hair Alpha, you'd either have to overlay a bunch of planes over the existing mesh artistically to achieve the desired look (as well as change the textures), or somehow break up the old mesh, and overlay new planes and re-texture? Seems tedious.

The 'Clayified' Alpha hairs are essentially just re-textures with removed transparency, and when you have them in game, they look notably different from the actual sculpted meshes in the style of TS4. (As such, I can't use them). They are still made up of strips, and they look a lot flatter.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Nov 2017 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grindingteeth
Your best option is just re-texturing. Changing the chunky, stylized texture of the basegame to something more realistic will help them blend in with your other content. You can find downloads already like this.
It's not impossible to make an Alpha hair out of a Clay hair, but the process would be so intensive and inefficient you'd basically be making a whole new mesh, so far as I can concieve.

The difference between Alpha and Clay, is that Alpha is made up mostly of strips, or planes that utilize transparency in the textures. while Clay hair is a solid, sculpted mesh (think helmet hair). In order to make a Clay hair Alpha, you'd either have to overlay a bunch of planes over the existing mesh artistically to achieve the desired look (as well as change the textures), or somehow break up the old mesh, and overlay new planes and re-texture? Seems tedious.

The 'Clayified' Alpha hairs are essentially just re-textures with removed transparency, and when you have them in game, they look notably different from actual the, sculpted meshes in the style of TS4. (As such, I can't use them). They are still made up of strips, and they look a lot flatter.
Thanks, I’ll try it out!