Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Greatest Dad Ever
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 11:41 PM
Default Shadow Problem ?
Hi again another problem i ran into with my current project ....I cloned all the items in this set from the apple of the eye statue ....My problem is if one of the items is placed technically inside a house as seen in the pictures it shows up on the outside of the house where it belongs but the whole thing is dark like it is actually inside the house ...I was wondering if there was somewhere within the package where you can change it so it "thinks" it is outside and therefore will show up like it does when i remove a wall on the first floor as shown in the other pic ...

any help would be appreciated ...I did not enclose the package as this set is already 18 meshes big and it is a global package problem and not technically one specific package ....I just need to know if there is a way to alter the bhavs or something to make this ALWAYS think it is placed outside ...
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 4:58 PM
Hmm, as the outside-shadows are generated by the game, why don't you just remove the indoor-shadows (mean: subsets, textures, TXMT, SHPE entries... all the required stuff) from the package to get rid of them? I think that's the easiest solution... :D

BTW, cool idea!

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Greatest Dad Ever
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 5:30 PM
all the shadows are gone out of the package but since it is technically placed inside the house where the pic shows it still ACTS like it is in the house and therefore it is shadowed like it is in an unlit room ....I need to know if there is a way to make the package "THINK" it is actually placed outside instead of inside so it appears like it should in the second pic where i actually removed a wall on the ground floor to make it appear as if it was outside ...

And thanks but credit has to go to abstractsimmer187 as he had the original idea for gutters i just made them better ...
Instructor
#4 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 5:54 PM
Ah, I see... ok, some thoughts, assumptions...
Maybe you could get the indoor shadows back into the package and make them fitting the shape (mean like described by Bobishman in his shadow tutorial) or even smaller to avoid unnessesary shadow-area? Seems like missing shadows force the indoor shadows to be displayed on the whole wall then...

If this doesn't help neither maybe someone else has an idea? IBliss??? Numenor??? Seems to be tricky - and intresting to find out - even if I couldn't help...

I'll definately wait for the better ones then :D

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Greatest Dad Ever
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 7:16 PM
i think it lies in the Bhavs somewhere i just dont know where because it is actually a problem with how the object behaves when placed ...i know someone out there has the answer to this question just the point of them actually reading this post ...
The ModFather
retired moderator
#6 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 9:51 PM
It's not a matter of shadows nor of BHAVs. Please note that I still haven't completely understood how this thing works, but here is what I think.
The game "thinks" that an object is inside or outside looking at its mesh, and looking at the point where it "rests". Let's make an example.
If you build a mesh in your 3D editor placed on the ground, and then you put this object in the lot, placing it on a terrace (the "roof" of the ground floor room), the object is considered "outside", because the poin it touches the ground is located on the terrace.
But if you modify the mesh in the 3D editor, moving it up by 3 tiles, and then you place the object at ground level, inside the house, the object will appear as located on the terrace, but the game "thinks" it's located inside the house.

The problem gets worse when - instead of a flat terrace - you have a sloped roof, like in your pics.
The flat terraces "cut" the ground level at a fixed height (3 tiles from the ground), while the sloped roof is always considered part of the ground floor: therefore, any object you try to place in the position shown in your screenshots will be considered placed on the underlying floor, in this case the ground floor.

A flat terrace is made of floor tiles, and therefore you can put objects over them. But sloped roofs don't accept objects placed over them: the objects can only placed on the ground, and will appear inside the house; you can move up the mesh in the 3D editor, as in the example above, cut the object will always be considered in the room at ground level.

So far, I haven't found a workaround for this; I can think to a "dirty trick", but its usage is limited...
If, in the 3D editor, you move the mesh up by three tiles, and then move it 1 tile to the left, you can place the object over the bush depicted in your screenshot (i.e. outside), and the object will appear on the roof, in the position of the dark one, but it won't be dark. This will help you only with the dark one, though: if you want to place another segment next to the dark one, it will be considered "inside" (unless you create a mesh with an horizontal offset of *two* tiles, etc...).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Greatest Dad Ever
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 10:48 PM Last edited by tigmomx4 : 1st Dec 2006 at 5:39 AM. Reason: "Fixed" the problem !!!!
Ok thank you for the explanation ....I guess people will have to deal with it like this until someone finds a way around this ...

Hey numenor ,

I did some thinking after your post and i came up with a solution to my problem ...I started to think what you said about the terrace roof and went into my game and removed the roofs and added flat terrace roofs then i manually added the gabled roofs and then placed the object onto the flat roof and put the roofs back up and it worked !!!!!!!! As you can see in the attached picture the wall is in place and so is the gutter and it looks like the rest of them .....Here is the screen shot of the probelm fixed !!!!

Thank You ! If it wasnt for you I would have never figured out how to do this !
The ModFather
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 7:19 AM
I'm glad my input made you think to an effective solution

In fact, the roofs are treated by the game as decorative objects, they don't serve any other purpose than make your house look capped by a roof; but - as we all know - a room with no doors/windows will look dark even if there is no roof over it.

And you have pointed out that this works in reverse, too: a flat terrace covered with a slanted roof is still considered "outside"

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Locked thread | Locked by: IgnorantBliss Reason: problem solved