Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2017 at 10:02 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 30th Jun 2017 at 5:12 AM.
Default Shading on accessory
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
I meant the black face and hands, or was that on purpose?

The specular and bumpmap were missing and I put in blank ones. IMO it's just better not to have them missing, because that can cause other clothing's spec and bump to affect your clothing's and can sometimes cause weird lighting issues. Probably doesn't make much if any difference with a full body outfit but IMO it's still better to have blanks.

Sure, you can pm me if it's something you don't want to discuss in the forum.

yeah, all of the grey man's body is supposed to be the same shade of grey. I hadn't made his eyes yet, so... yeah XD

anyway, I have no problem discussing this other project on the forum, it's just I got in trouble on S4S for discussing more than one project in one thread. then again, they gave me a lot of unnecessary trouble, but I digress.

so... it's a problem with shading on this accessory:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Alg_w_piyWUqgQbsswWOBxrGqfzo

I dunno if you're familiar with invader zim, but that's the pak on the main character's back. I made it completely by hand, which was a feat for me being new to blender. I know you said you don't use blender, so I don't have much faith that you can help me, but it's like... what? I checked the UVs, and they're all set correctly. it looks fine in blender and S4S, but in game it looks like THAT, even if I make it shadeless. no one on S4S even bothered to help, so I don't know where to turn.
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 5:22 AM
It's best to start a new thread for a new problem, so I've split this into a new thread. (After some inept fumbling, lol)

I can't tell what's wrong from that picture. Please upload your package and a pic of what it's supposed to look like and I'll take a look.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2017 at 4:25 AM
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Alg_w_piyWUqgQlf_tQlFsD5RBYO

is that better? in blender, it doesn't look smooth, but it does in game. in S4S there ARE actually some minimal shadow issues, but it's in-game that I'm struggling with
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 2nd Jul 2017 at 3:37 PM
I don't use Blender so a .blend won't help. From looking at the pics my guess is that it could be a texture problem, possibly the shadow texture. Or possibly normals. When trying to solve a problem I like to have all the possibilities in front of me so I always ask for the package. Could you upload it?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Banned
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jul 2017 at 10:01 PM
I don't use Blender so a .blend won't help. From looking at the pics my guess is that it could be a texture problem, possibly the shadow texture. Or possibly normals. When trying to solve a problem I like to have all the possibilities in front of me so I always ask for the package. Could you upload it?

I thought it was the package I gave you! my bad, here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alg_w_piyWUqgQfCw83W0PWlCzGm
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 3rd Jul 2017 at 1:34 PM
In looking closely at the mesh in Milkshape (which shows the jagginess - maybe you had normals turned off in the Blender preview) I see the surface of the pack isn't even and there's a sort of scalloped construction around the seams. The normals are what's causing the shading problem, but I see no way to smooth them in a way that does any good. Possibly Blender could do it. Otherwise I advise starting over and using a plain curved surface or a set of intersecting plain curved surfaces that can be smoothed independently with no seams.
Screenshots

Banned
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Jul 2017 at 11:32 PM
In looking closely at the mesh in Milkshape (which shows the jagginess - maybe you had normals turned off in the Blender preview) I see the surface of the pack isn't even and there's a sort of scalloped construction around the seams. The normals are what's causing the shading problem, but I see no way to smooth them in a way that does any good. Possibly Blender could do it. Otherwise I advise starting over and using a plain curved surface or a set of intersecting plain curved surfaces that can be smoothed independently with no seams.

I started with a sphere that I cut in half. then I extruded the three parts, but in order to do that, I had to use the knife tool to cut new edges in as close to a circle as I could. because of my noviceness to 3D modeling, I have NO idea what you just said. XD I worked with 3DSMAX about ten years ago, and I remember it being so much easier and straight forward than blender. what I ASSUME what you're saying is, instead of one piece, I should make four different pieces and connect them together? here's me wondering why I didn't do that in the first place.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#8 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 12:48 AM
If one smooth curved surface won't do, then yes, four smooth curved surfaces. You can just have them go through each other rather than trying to join them into one object.

Banned
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 5:23 PM
If one smooth curved surface won't do, then yes, four smooth curved surfaces. You can just have them go through each other rather than trying to join them into one object.
for your help. I wish I didn't have to start over, because aside from the shading, it looks pretty good. but if it can't be helped, it can't be helped. XD
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#10 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 9:41 PM
I've had to start over on so many projects, including the one I'm working on now. It's disappointing but it's a learning experience.