Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 12:57 AM
Writing a biography
Ok, so firstly, apologies :sorry: if this is :offtopic: or doesn't fit into the rules for things to be posted here :banned: . I read the guidelines several times and, whilst this could be a "personal" problem, I'm more looking for advice and have posted it in the "creative" section as I thought people with relevant experience could help me out here, as opposed to the "general chat" forum. I apologise if I have inadvertantly violated the rules

My great-grandmother recently passed on aged 94 and we have been going through her possessions. During her working life, my great-grandmother was a self-employed seamstress/dress-maker who ended up making a lot of formal/wedding dresses for rather noteable high-society members. As a "thank you", and sometimes through sheer jaminess, my great-gran also got to attend the functions that she made the dresses for.

Amongst her belongings, we found a scrap book that she made, including photos of the dresses she made, and articles from local and national newspapers reporting on the weddings and events the dresses were made for.

I am convinced there is a book to be made out of this scrap book. Whilst my greatgrandmother may not be noteable enough to have an autobiography, certainly the world she was catering for and had access to is worth writing about (as indeed, many royal and political aids have done in their memoirs). I also think it would be interesting for people who read about fashion.

I am fortunate that I still have living relatives who can help me fill in the personal gaps of GG's life, and these noteable people would merely require looking through obtituaries, who's who and the Oxford Dictionary of Biographies, but I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with writing a biography, or indeed helping to get a book published? Also, would you want to read a book such as this?

Any help/advice is welcome and greatfully recieved

Many thanks
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 2:15 AM
I don't have much advice to offer, but personally I think that the biography sounds great- and this is coming from someone who rarely reads anything but fiction. I get the feeling that my mom (a quilter) would be really interested as well, as would most of her friends. :] Good luck writing!

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right."
-Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Yearbook