Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 26th Mar 2013 at 3:23 PM
This is my mask, but only one channel shows up in CAS, and the whole top gets recolored. I'm trying to make the cups and straps separately colorable.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 27th Mar 2013 at 7:46 AM Last edited by lenglel : 27th Mar 2013 at 8:03 PM. Reason: *solved*
Okay, so I finally figured out to enable the patterns in CTU. But now I'm having the same problem that Shady was having with
create-a-style loading forever. Here's my new mask. I've only enabled the first two patterns, because there are only two
recolorable areas.

I figured it out. It wasn't loading the color picker because I didn't have the mask width and mask height lines in the xml.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#28 Old 27th Mar 2013 at 8:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kathleen_Anne

All over the body and down the legs. The skirt was my red mask, I'm guessing it has something to do with that and flood filling that layer? Also the obvious... this isn't the most modest of skirts, that wasn't intentionl either! Not quite sure what's going on there!

I think you might have a skin texture linked where your clothing specular texture should go, but I'm just guessing, since I'm pretty new at this myself.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 7:32 AM Last edited by sciguy77 : 6th Feb 2014 at 11:14 AM.
Here's a simpler way to create the 4th color region:
1) Create a new, normal layer and fill it with black.
2) Edit the new black layer exactly as you want the alpha channel to look. Be sure you're using solid white on the black background.
3) When done, copy the layer and paste it into the alpha channel.
The new alpha channel is done. Make the colored mask the visible layer and flatten the image (ALWAYS flatten the image with PhotoShop!). When you've completed the rest of the mask save it using the DXT3 explicit alpha option. Saving as a DXT1 1 bit alpha kills all the data on the 1st 3 channels. See the pics below. Both masks have the pictured alpha channel. One is saved as DXT1 and the other as DXT3. If your 4th channel is showing up on a white background that you can't recolor, redo the mask and save it as a DXT3.
Screenshots
Sockpuppet
#30 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 3:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sciguy77
Here's a simpler way to create the 4th color region:
1) Create a new, normal layer and fill it with black.
2) Edit the new black layer exactly as you want the alpha channel to look. Be sure you're using solid white on the black background.
3) When done, copy the layer and paste it into the alpha channel.
The new alpha channel is done. Make the colored mask the visible layer and flatten the image (ALWAYS flatten the image with PhotoShop!). When you've completed the rest of the mask save it using the DXT3 explicit alpha option. Saving as a DXT1 1 bit alpha kills all the data on the 1st 3 channels. See the pics below. Both masks have the pictured alpha channel. One is saved as DXT1 and the other as DXT3. If your 4th channel is showing up on a white background that you can't recolor, redo the mask and save it as a DXT3.

DXT3 is not used in the sims 3 sci and that post is a year old.....
Field Researcher
#31 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 10:03 PM Last edited by sciguy77 : 8th Feb 2014 at 8:01 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
DXT3 is not used in the sims 3 sci and that post is a year old.....

I wasn't responding to this post, but there were other posts even older where the 4th color channel wouldn't work when DXT1 was used. I needed to make 4 channel masks last night. I followed the tutorial to the letter but try as I might, the 4 channel mask didn't work when saved as a DXT1. I tried using DXT3 out of frustration and I'll be darned if the 4th channel didn't show up in-game. Using the DXT3 format was the ONLY way I was able to get the 4th color channel to show up on the top I textured yesterday. Issues with the 4th channel killing the other 3 has been an ongoing issue with 4 channel masks. I have to differ with you about the use of DXT3 by the Sims 3. It may be an issue with NVIDIA tools not saving correctly, but the pics I posted show how the mask gets saved when DXT1 and DXT3 are selected. On my system anyway -- DXT3 works, DXT1 does not.

EDIT: DXT5 will also work. There's something wrong with the way the 1 bit alpha DXT1 gets saved by the NVIDIA Tools/Photoshop combination.
Page 2 of 2