Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 7:56 AM
Default UV Mapping in Milkshape
I've been following this tutorial to convert a mesh for Sims 4: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=582345
However, I'm stuck with the UV mapping. When I assign the texture to the model in Milkshape, it doesn't appear in the Texture Coordinate Editor as in the tutorial, but looks stretched (see picture).
So the UV mapping no longer fits the shape of the texture. I'm using a texture file extracted from Sims 4, with a simple copy-paste editing as in the tutorial (made in Photoshop), and saved it with the original resolution in .dds. But somehow it doesn't look right in MS.

Another question: Is it absolutely necessary that UV maps are laid out the same way that Maxis uses? I mean, with the entire body mapped from the front and back side.
What if I wanted to edit a mesh which has an entirely different UV mapping and textures made to fit that layout? Could I still use it as long as I put the body pieces in the body section and the hair pieces in the upper left corner?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 10:42 AM
That picture doesn't appear to be of the Milkshape Texture Coordinates window but looks more like Photoshop, and it's not the whole image window, so I can't really see what the problem is. Perhaps you didn't scale something correctly. If you could upload pics of the entire converted texture and what you're getting in the Texture Coordinates Editor with the mesh visible on it like in the tutorial, maybe I can be of more help.

As far as I know, as long as you use that upper left corner for hair and the appropriate locations for accessories they should work fine. For clothing/bodies it's a little more complicated since the parts that are bare skin will show the skin texture and must be mapped in the standard EA way or the skin won't look right.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 4:14 PM
Sorry for the bad picture. I couldn't take screenshots at the time. Here are the actual Photoshop and Milkshape images.
As you see, the texture gets stretched horizontally.

Then, if the clothes mesh has no bare skin at all (or has the bare skin already mapped in its own texture) can I place it anywhere on the clothing corner? Even shoes?
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 5:27 PM
I see what you mean, but don't know what could be causing it. Can you upload the .ms3d mesh and the .dds image so I can take a closer look?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
I see what you mean, but don't know what could be causing it. Can you upload the .ms3d mesh and the .dds image so I can take a closer look?

Ok, I found a workaround. By selecting the UV map and scaling the Y axis at exactly 0.5, the maps get the same shape as the stretched textures and can be fitted. I tested also the mapping of clothes on the left corner and it works as long as skin isn't touched. May be useful for people converting non-Maxis meshes with different UV mappings.
I can send you the files if you're still interested in looking at the problem. But the mesh is a rip from other videogame. Would it be OK to post it here? I'm not sure about the site policies on this.

PS. Thank you very much for the tutorial and CAS Tools. That made it sooo much easier. I still remember the nightmare of meshing for Sims 2, with all that manual bone assignements...
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 1:48 AM
Glad you worked it out! Possibly the mesh uv had some non-standard values that caused bad scaling? But you're right that material from another game probably should be for personal use and not posted here.