Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2005 at 6:13 PM
Default converting a teen hair mesh to adult
I have a mesh file that has both adult and teen age meshes within it. Teen and adult mesh are different styles. The adult mesh I rarely use and I think it should have been a teen mesh, but the teen mesh I love and really want for my adults .

I would really like to split this file into two separate files so that I could have both meshes available for both age groups.

Only I really am at a loss on how to do this.

I found the tut for hair meshes and altho it was written for SimPE .32, pretty old, so I'm not really sure what needs to be done. I am completely new to this. So I need help:

Since I don't want to modify how the mesh actually looks, is it possible to just change values like the tm to am? And I would guess there are more settings but what are they?
Advertisement
Systemic Anomaly
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2005 at 9:56 PM
You need to open the Property Sets for each of the hair styles and set the age accordingly:

0x00000008 = Adult
0x00000004 = Teen
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Aug 2005 at 10:07 PM
Will this correct the differences in sizes?
Instructor
#4 Old 3rd Aug 2005 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jase439
You need to open the Property Sets for each of the hair styles and set the age accordingly:

0x00000008 = Adult
0x00000004 = Teen

Could you please post these values for all the ages?
I am trying to learn to mod hair as well.

Thanks!
Systemic Anomaly
#5 Old 3rd Aug 2005 at 10:53 PM Last edited by jase439 : 3rd Aug 2005 at 10:58 PM.
0x00000002 = Child
0x00000001 = Toddler
0x00000040 = Young Adult

You can also combine these codes together to mark something as suitable for multiple ages (i.e. 0x00000044 is Teens and Young Adults, 0x00000048 is Adults and Young Adults, 0x0000000C is Teens and Adults, although I don't think I'd attempt to put adult accessories/clothing/hairstyles on a child or toddler .

Bunny: I have not experienced a problem with adult accesories/clothing on teens. If you experience problems, look in the Age Data and set the "stretch" value to 1.0 for adults and 0.94 for teens.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Aug 2005 at 12:58 AM
Jase,
I really appreciate the offer of help. But the things you are telling me to do just aren't making any sense. And I don't know enough to know if it's my lack of knowledge or yours. I'm leaning to "it's yours".....I welcome you to make me wrong....

I DO know that the age data setting 'stretch' is an overall affect on a sim's height--not on the size of his head. So why change that??

Cahnging the property set values as you described will change where the hair will appear in the catalogue and it will allow you to select that hair for the sim, but it won't change how the hair fits on a sims head. If you try to put a teen hair on an adult there are gaps at the forhead and neck.

So.....
Systemic Anomaly
#7 Old 4th Aug 2005 at 2:42 AM Last edited by jase439 : 4th Aug 2005 at 2:49 AM.
The scaling factor affects size (which is what you asked) but it won't affect translation or rotation. If you need to reposition the mesh, then you may need to use a mesh editor and move the mesh into the proper position. Plenty of tutorials and posts to be found on that subject matter here.

I've only done adult-->teen body meshes, so my experience in mesh editing ends there, but I can't imagine that hair is radically different. I've had to close up gaps using Milkshape before, so I imagine you're in a similar spot here also.

Your original question was "is it possible to just change values like the tm to am", and the answer is yes - that's what the Property Sets and Age Data manage. Is that always going to be the "be all end all" for the results you want for every custom hairstyle? Well, obviously not in this case There isn't a "Apply Magic" checkbox to every problem - sometimes you have to actually get your hands grubby and do a little work. I don't have that magic wand to offer you.

Best of luck to you on your project.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Aug 2005 at 4:56 PM
Thanks.
Scholar
#9 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 3:50 PM Last edited by Dr Pixel : 6th Aug 2005 at 3:54 PM.
I have done hair meshes, so maybe this will help a bit -

The position and height of the mesh is different - the adult hair mesh will not fit properly onto a teen as you have discovered.

The only way I have been able to successfully make an adult mesh work for a teen is to actually make a second complete hair mesh for the teen, starting again from the teen's version of the mesh and making the same edits.

Even trying to simply resize and re-position the adult hair mesh in my 3d editor doesn't work right.

I don't really thing there is an easy way to do it by changing a number or two - if there was, I would guess Maxis wouldn't have bothered creating separate teen meshes at all...

Not the answer you wanted to hear I'm sure, and I'd be happy to be proved wrong on this (it would save me a lot of editing time) but this is what I have found so far...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 4:02 PM Last edited by Mutantbunny : 6th Aug 2005 at 4:15 PM.
Thank you Dr. Pixel! No, not what I wanted to hear--but at least it is an answer and that is what I needed. Thank you!