Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 5:51 PM Last edited by TheSweetToddler : 23rd Dec 2018 at 9:20 PM.
Default [Solved] Connecting 2 or more bones together
So, for a while I've been wondering how EA connected bones together, and to move together too. Like when adult sims hold each other's hands, their hands move smoothly and in sync together, because both hand bones of each sim are connected together. Well, what I've tried in blender was connecting rig A's hand bone with rig B's hand bone, by setting A's hand bone as a parent of B's hand bones, but it doesn't seem to work since when I move rig A's hand bone, it moves the entire body of rig B. I'm not sure which other way to do this, and I have got IK bones on my rigs. Not even sure if anybody else knows. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Edit: I found out actually!

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 7:34 PM
Are we specifically talking about making a bone replacement of such or just for pose making? Because with pose making I'd recommend really sticking with the existing RIG, because if you export your poses and run it in the game, it just simply won't recognise that IKtarget because the sim's RIG or maybe even the object's RIG just simply doesn't recognise it. And that's where creating a default replacement would come in to play.

For that, I'd check out the BONE/BOND.... it's a little bit the same as the RIG for objects, although the RIG in S3PE does have a simple RIG editor compared to the BONE
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
Are we specifically talking about making a bone replacement of such or just for pose making? Because with pose making I'd recommend really sticking with the existing RIG, because if you export your poses and run it in the game, it just simply won't recognise that IKtarget because the sim's RIG or maybe even the object's RIG just simply doesn't recognise it. And that's where creating a default replacement would come in to play.

For that, I'd check out the BONE/BOND.... it's a little bit the same as the RIG for objects, although the RIG in S3PE does have a simple RIG editor compared to the BONE

Nah, I do use the usual sim rigs, I just put the IK on the hands and feet bones through the bone constraints, I don't know if that though counts as an IK boned rig. And by the way, I mostly animate, and what I want to make my life easier is that when I'm animating two rigs together, say like, sim A holding sim B's hand, well what I want is that whenever sim A moves their hand around, I want sim B's hand to follow sim A's hand, rather than manually moving both hands one by one, which can be a real pain when animating sometimes. I don't know if you get what I mean, oh and do you know if there's any sim rigs for Maya? Like EA used Maya to animate their rigs, so maybe I can figure out things in Maya than Blender, which I already know a lot about Blender and everything I know won't work on sim rigs. But thanks for the help

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Nov 2018 at 5:22 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th Nov 2018 at 5:50 PM.
I didn't know you can transfer IK animation from Blender to ingame, but I have doubts you can make it work with two sims.

I'd assume the target animations (interactions between sims, or between sims and objects) are somehow scripted into the animation, but I'm not sure how.

My guess (for all the Sims games) is that the animators have full access to IK and various other animation tools in the program they use, having a perfectly useable rig to play around with. To achieve IK, you need several tools and a bit of scripting. However, those controls rarely, if ever, translate to simpler file formats. So we're stuck with the "bare bones" (pun intended) of the rig, in that we only have the joints to move around, where FK is the only option (unless it's possible to add IK in, for instance Blender, and have it translate to ingame?). The skeleton/joints are technically not the rig, just the joints connecting up the rig. What you want to do doesn't work (or is extremely hard to do) without IK and targets that can be either joined together or moved together.

(I wish it was possible to enable IK animation for TS2 as well - would've opened up a lot of possibilities...)