Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 10:38 PM
Default Custom vs Premade
I used to love the premades but my God complex and need to make everything hyper realistic means I can't even play them anymore

I can't suspend my disbelief enough, man.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 10:41 PM
I play custom sims and custom hoods. Never bothered with pre-mades very much.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#3 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 10:53 PM
Personally, "modern" isn't my thing, so I prefer to create custom hoods/worlds - premades, schmemades. But I also enjoy reading about other people's gameplay with both premade and custom hoods. Not everyone plays the same way, in fact one of my favourite things about the TS2 community is reading other people's stories and gameplay ideas. I have twelve scrapbooks and a file folder that are filled with print-outs of comments that inspired me... is that ridiculous? :D

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 11:08 PM
I've played a little bit with the premades from time to time (long while ago now, though I'll occasionally sneak in townies as extras for photoshoots if I need some not very visible background characters), but I prefer making my own custom sims and lots. I use Pleasantville for one of my main hoods, but it's mostly because I like the layout.
Alchemist
#5 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 11:38 PM
Premade mostly.
Scholar
#6 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 11:42 PM
I only play pre-made Sims personally. Are Sims that are born from pre-mades considered custom or pre-made Sims? LOL stupid question to ask but hey-ho.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nuidyaforever
Personally, "modern" isn't my thing, so I prefer to create custom hoods/worlds - premades, schmemades. But I also enjoy reading about other people's gameplay with both premade and custom hoods. Not everyone plays the same way, in fact one of my favourite things about the TS2 community is reading other people's stories and gameplay ideas. I have twelve scrapbooks and a file folder that are filled with print-outs of comments that inspired me... is that ridiculous? :D

Not ridiculous! Impressive.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 12:19 AM
I liked Strangetown and Bluewater Village and the Maxis Downtown, but I didn't care for most of the other neighborhoods that came with the game. I play my own custom neighborhoods... not that the hoods themselves look like much because I am not very good at decorating them. However, the townies and NPCs, I put a ton of effort into and so they are amazing if I do say so myself :D
Alchemist
#9 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 12:38 AM
I play pre-mades almost exclusively. I even like townies. Since they rarely age, they have lots of time to build relationships and memories and become entwined. It all feels more real to me when everyone has a backstory, as if I'm just discovering them in the middle of living their lives. I may have been heavily influenced as a child by the Twilight Zone episode where the astronauts stumble upon a land of tiny people.

Sims born in-game are good, too, because they also have their own backstory that I didn't wholly invent.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 1:15 AM
The two are not mutually exclusive.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin

Haha I know
Theorist
#12 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 1:52 AM
I played the pre-made sims for years, but eventually got tired of seeing the same few sims (Don, Dina, Cassandra, Nina and the Strangetown sims too) everywhere in the simming community and could no longer tolerate seeing them in my own game. Not joking.

So, now I create my own 'hoods on custom terrains (with no townies, bin sims, downtownies, dormies or any other Maxis sims) and play my own sims, but will also occasionally add a custom sim made by others to spice things up. It's been very freeing to do everything from scratch, and play out the stories of non-Maxis sims.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Instructor
#13 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 4:01 AM
I play both
Mad Poster
#14 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 7:05 AM
I decided that I would make a mega neighbourhood of all the premade neighbourhoods, so I could play any of the premades when I felt like it. I set it all up nicely and have as yet never opened it again.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 8:34 AM

I would have liked to have said that
Mad Poster
#16 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 10:58 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Jan 2019 at 2:37 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by purplestuddedcoffin
I used to love the premades but my God complex and need to make everything hyper realistic means I can't even play them anymore

Depends on what you mean by "hyper realistic". Default replacements can go a long way in making premades fit into your style if it's a visual issue

My style is somewhere in the middle beween MM and realistic, and I use elements from most of the scale as long as I like them and they don't look out of place. I use default replacements (mostly skin and eyes, and the occasional outfit texture) to make the sims look like they belong in the same universe, so if a premade/townie happens by, they don't look too out of place. Most of the custom skins and eyes I tend to use in roughly the same style as the default replacements and fit together nicely. Most of the time I keep to the default replacements for "unimportant" sims, as custom skins and eyes can cause issues if removed, but there's no need to keep track of the defaults.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 11:56 AM
I've always played both. Or at least I started out by playing my own CAS Sims in a Maxis 'hood (Veronaville) but the pre-mades were always there, and met and interacted with my Sims. After a few months some of them got so involved in my story that I started to play them too. When I eventually started to play the other Maxis base game 'hoods, I continued with the idea introducing some of my own Sims first, and then meeting the pre-mades through them. I make it a principle that each Sim in my game exists once, and once only, so there are no pre-mades in my custom 'hoods. The townies and NPCs there are either made in CAS or generated in-game. Also, because of the once, and once only principle, I don't do repeat play-throughs. So, like ourselves, each of my Sims, whether custom or pre-made, gets one shot at this game we call life. But, because they only get one shot at it, I try to do my best for them -- I haven't lost one to the Grim Reaper yet.

Baldrair Bluffs has Land Grant University attached, so it has Peni's pre-mades rather than Maxis ones. But they too have to mix it with my own Sims.

In my bones I feel it's "wrong" to have favourites, but I think in general I find it easier to get inside my own Sims than the pre-mades, because I have more control over their personalities and stories. On the other hand, there is a bit of a danger of my own Sims being a bit too much like each other -- basically they're the sort of people that I like. So the pre-mades balance this a bit by including some with different characteristics. In my custom 'hoods the generated Sims help to fulfil the same function.

I'd find it hard to imagine Veronaville without the Capp girls. But I'd find it equally hard to imagine it without Andrew, Gloria and their friends. Let them all enjoy the neighbourhood together!

Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
Are Sims that are born from pre-mades considered custom or pre-made Sims? LOL stupid question to ask but hey-ho.
In the pictures sub-forum they get a category of their own: Descendants of Maxis-made Sims !

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Alchemist
#18 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 2:26 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 7th Jan 2019 at 3:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Depends on what you mean by "hyper realistic". Default replacements can go a long way in making premades fit into your style if it's a visual issue

Oh, yes, I have default replacements, too. Everyone was entirely too light in my game, so I put freckles on the 1, found darker skins and moved the 3 to the 2, the 4 to the 3, etc. The community of pre-mades in Desiderata all have a shade darker skin than normal to reflect a different community. Everyone also has Nouk's sharp eyes.

As for putting them in different hoods, I do. I pretend they moved or, if they still exist elsewhere, they just traveled for while I'm there, or they are in a different time, or they are relatives. My Newson's exist in two hoods, and I pretend one is an earlier time. (My sims are kind of like TV shows, I can play prequels and jump scenes and time and stuff.) My Ottomi have one branch of the family in Pleasantview where they are raising 5 infants from a particular weekend debacle (two of the babies are teen Sharla's) and another where Samantha's twin sister, Amanda, fled her raunchy relatives and moved her "nice" family to Widespot (where the renamed Charla sim is still a child and Amanda's husband is Samantha's husband's cousin.) Minor cosmetic and name changes and they are a whole new Ottomi family with a new story, but still closely related to the others. Dora and Isidora are also twins and, Endora, the great-grandmother of the Ottomi clan, is a ghost who's haunting Widespot. I like the Ottomi.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 6:51 PM
I play both premade and custom sims - and I use a lot of cc!

I default out all of the in-game skintones, hair and outfits. Like Sunrader, I prefer my sims to be darker skinned on the whole, so I use Pooklet's 'Kids In Technicolor' as the core of my skin set, and then geneticise all the other skins I use to that scale, with special emphasis on skinsets that feature realistic brown tones. I like nose-masks and darker default eyes to help ensure that my sims look a little more on the realistic side (at least for me)! But I also like the whimsy of Maxis, so I keep the premades around to add their kooky facial features to the hood. Sometimes - as with Tank Grunt and Klara Vonderstein's little boy, it means that I get some fairly... interesting mixtures when it comes to facial features, but I love all born-in-game sims with a passion that blinds me to their big noses and weird chins lol. They're MY babies, and no matter what, I feel kind of proud of them.

I'm super fussy about things like eyes and hair - I prefer eyes with a smaller iris, and realistic shades black, green, hazel, brown and blue. I get rid of all the red /yellow, pink and neon colours - with the exception of supernaturals, who are allowed to have funky eye and skin colours. Even they though, have rules. My purple-skinned genie descendants have to have black or brown hair and eyes, and my aliens are blue/grey (I wanted a darker skintone for them too, and I still might make an edit of Kathdra's alien skin, which is my all-time favourite. It's just too light for my tastes, and I'm putting off learning how to make stuff like that in order to play...) Werewolves and vampires can have any hair colour, but I have red or violet vampire eyes and I think, yellow for my werewolves (haven't had any in a long time due to playing Strangetown. My werewolves and vampires prefer cooler regions.)

I use maxis-match hair textures only when I absolutely have to. Most of the time I like pooklet's, and I have a thing for Ombre hair from Amidala sims. My pickiness pays off when I can look at David Ottomas and not be scared of him and teenage Sharla!
Alchemist
#20 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 7:28 PM
have played both pre-made and custom.
probably played pre-made more.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 8:01 PM
I used to play exclusively custom Sims, but in my current neighbourhood premade Sims make up the vast majority of my population. (Interestingly enough, most of my custom Sims are different iterations of the ones I've been playing since I started the game, although most of them have undergone mild appearance changes over time. I have a soft spot for those characters.)

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Test Subject
#22 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 4:59 PM
I play both premades and custom sims no matter what, even if I hate that sim, I'm still am going to play them anyway.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 5:10 PM
Why not both at the same time pre-made custom in my Beginning Hoods!

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Alchemist
#24 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
have played both pre-made and custom.
probably played pre-made more.
most custom neighborhoods/characters have been temporary ones.