Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#351 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 3:53 AM
Try this one
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Release.zip (5.64 MB, 76 downloads) - View custom content

Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue. - Windows XP Setup
Hey! It compiles! Ship it! - Microsoft
Love is Hate. War is Peace. Windows is stable. - 1984 (sort of)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#352 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 4:06 AM
I just tested my program on an old Windows 2000 laptop with the base game installed, and it worked (I copied over the dlls from Create-A-World). I think that any problem is most likely on your end. Note that if you have any files that are referenced by a Resources.cfg file, they will be loaded, so it could be an issue with corrupt custom content.

I don't mean to sound like EA, but try removing any custom content and reinstall your games.

Test Subject
#353 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 5:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rothn
I just tested my program on an old Windows 2000 laptop with the base game installed, and it worked
You run it on a server? How are the graphics?
(I copied over the dlls from Create-A-World)
Which DLL's?
I think that any problem is most likely on your end.
I don't think that is the case.

I don't mean to sound like EA, but try removing any custom content and reinstall your games.
Doesn't seem worth the effort.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#354 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 6:43 AM
CAW has DLL files in its directory in program files.

And the graphics are awful. I have TS3 installed, but usually just play TS1 on it, as TS2 is awful, too.
TS1 takes a LONG time to load, though. I wonder why?

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#355 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 10:12 AM
OK, I'm re-writing TS3 Animator to use SimPE libraries that Peter wrote; those should be more interoperable than calls to TS3 itself.

P.S. Can anyone help me with the Sourceforge SVN???

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#356 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 12:00 PM
OK, I'm re-writing TS3 Animator to use SimPE libraries that Peter wrote; those should be more interoperable than calls to TS3 itself.

P.S. Can anyone help me with the Sourceforge SVN???

Don't forget to also check out atavera's wrappers - you may need some of those.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#357 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 6:47 PM
Believe it or not, the only thing I used the TS3 engine for was as a package editor so I wouldn't have to make my project open-source. Speaking of which, the source will not be released until somebody tells me how to use SVN with Sourceforge, as googling for quite some time has just confused me

Field Researcher
#358 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 7:10 PM
rothn, try Google Code.

Seems much more easier imo.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#359 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 8:56 PM Last edited by rothn : 14th Jun 2011 at 9:15 PM.
Default Fixed...
OK, I am now using S3PI instead of the TS3 package manager. The attached release should work on all systems.

Please note that while there is no GetDependencies.exe that you need to run, you will need to copy granny2.dll from the CAW directory to the TS3 Animator directory before you run it.

Please also note that you can't have TS3 open or anything else that my be using its package files while this tool is running or it will crash (albeit gracefully) to the desktop.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TS3 Animator.zip (5.22 MB, 51 downloads) - View custom content
Description: This one should work.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#360 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 11:36 PM
Can somebody say something? Does it work?

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#361 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 5:44 AM
Well, I'm done for the night, and was thinking that you guys ought to see the graphical SACS script editor that I am currently developing. If anybody has any qualms with the UI, please tell me soon!
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#362 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 2:19 PM
Everything seems to be working for me. I'm able to open it up and import .smd's and export.

However, the Edit menu isn't popping up for me. I'm guessing because you're still working on that?
Test Subject
#363 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 2:30 PM
Now i'm able to run the app and load a clip. But when I click of export animation or mesh, the program crashes. I tried several animations and always got the crash.

Debugger info :
"Unhandled exception at 0x7c809dfa in TS3 Animator.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x3f800000."

XP SP3, base game (legal), framework 4, granny2.dll from CAW in TS3Anim folder, no other opened package editor.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#364 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 4:15 PM Last edited by rothn : 15th Jun 2011 at 6:33 PM.
Try getting the granny2.dll from CAW again. Other than that, what can I say except that there have been 16 downloads and one complaint. Is it possible that you are using the wrong granny2.dll?

Note that you use File->Save to save an animation to the TS3 format. The export button only exports it to an SMD.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#365 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 6:18 AM
SOMEBODY SAY SOMETHING... Anyway, how complex do you guys want the graphical jazz editor? Would you like predefined constructs like loops, etc, or would you like to totally create your own decision graphs?

Field Researcher
#366 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 1:43 PM
rothn, is there a way you can use the same gui as the old version for importing animations to base the new one off of? Right now, you need to type it, but it would be cool if you could add back the old way to import and also the option to type it out if you know it.
Eminence Grise
#367 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 1:50 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 17th Jun 2011 at 2:02 AM.
I think that any problem is most likely on your end.

what can I say except that there have been 16 downloads and one complaint.

SOMEBODY SAY SOMETHING...

Are you really puzzled about why you aren't getting more feedback?
Alchemist
#368 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 2:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Anytime one of your testers gives you some feedback, you tell them they're wrong, they don't know what they're doing, and the tool works fine :/ See posts 363 and 365. That kind of demotivates potential testers, methinks.
I agree with Srikandi and also with the people above who suggest adding a bit more instruction (and some idea about what this does) might be a good idea.

I'm one of the 16 downloaders and I haven't had time to test this...especially given the fact that it's unclear how exactly to use it. Quite honestly rothn...the rest of us don't want to have to read your mind. Just post some step by step instructions could you? Otherwise what you're gonna get is one or two people testing this and no one making anything for the game with it most likely.

Most people who are interested in anim aren't sitting here waiting to test your tool at this point. It has been made clear to everyone who couldn't see it before that there is a working alternative and they're busy making things to go into the game. If you want people to test this tool you need to, at the very least, provide instructions that are as understandable as those for the other tool. As far as I can tell, you are the only person who has made a tool for this game that is not accompanied by some kind of instruction in using it.

I think most people can overlook the rudeness Sri has pointed out...your lack of any kind of instructional documentation isn't gonna work very well for you though.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#369 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 3:06 AM
The menus are basically in the same format as many applications. File->New creates a new animation. File->Open opens an existing animation (try a2o_electricGuitar_play_low_loop1_x, for example). File->Save saves the animation of the currently selected tab. Inside the tab, Export Mesh exports the 3D mesh (geometry) of the sim. Export Animation exports the animation to an SMD file, and Import Animation imports an animation from a SMD file. In the next release, I will add more exception handling to make it easier to debug your problems...

Test Subject
#370 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 10:08 PM
well, tested on Windows 7 now, and worked, i really don't know what's happening on XP, may be the crazy antivirus or firewall ...

but I just will have time to dissect the app potential this weekend.

And thanks for your efforts .
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#371 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 10:27 PM
I know it works on XP (both x64 and x86) b/c I tested TS3 Animator on XP with VMWare (hardware emulation) on both a clean x86 and x64 install. I would recommend re-installing Windows XP. Then just install .NET Framework 4 and TS3, and it should work. If it doesn't then, then the issue is mine. Please try doing that and tell me exactly what happens. If it crashes, please give me the ProcMon dump.

Test Subject
#372 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 11:32 PM
Well, hello there! First of all I'd like to thank you for creating this program, for I can only imagine the hardship you must've went through and the amount of coffee consumed in the process. I have, however, spent about 2 hours trying to figure out how to work this thing, without much success. I've basically read through the 15 pages of this thread and each time I thought I had figured it out 2 other problems would pop up. Another thing I have noticed is that this thread isn't getting too much attention, plus there aren't that many released modded or added animations for the sims 3 out yet. The reason for this I believe is because the vast majority of people who have attempted to use this program fail.
So this is what I recommend you doing:

-update your first page with the latest version of the program included in the post. It'll help allot, or point out that the latest version can be found on that-and-that page and include a link

write a tutorial on how to use the program, spend a good hour on writing it, inlcude these things:
1.how to install the program including the granny2.dll deal (I still don't know exactly where I can find it, if not from Granny crowd scene demo)
2. Where to find the meshes and other files required (do you have to unpack them from the packages? Do you have to download them?)
3. possible problems involved with loading meshes
4. A FAQ to why the program crashes at x instance
5. all things that seem obvious to you but aren't to others, that includes most all questions asked in this thread.
Alchemist
#373 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 1:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by milworm
Another thing I have noticed is that this thread isn't getting too much attention, plus there aren't that many released modded or added animations for the sims 3 out yet. The reason for this I believe is because the vast majority of people who have attempted to use this program fail.
I agree that a tutorial as described above would be helpful and could jump-start testing for this tool.

However, there are many "animations" for S3 out there already...every pose made is a one keyframe animation. The reason there are so many of those is because there is a well-tutorialized tool that allows you to get animations in-game already and the the coding which allows them to be displayed in game was done for the animators by Cmo when he created his Pose Player.

There aren't many other user-made animations for S3 yet because, while it's completely possible to make them without this particular tool, that process requires coding that most people don't have much experience with and which has not been well-described as yet. Even if this tool had a great tutorial my bet is there would still be a dearth of new anims in-game for S3 because, at this point, getting anims into game format really isn't what's holding things up.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#374 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 7:21 AM Last edited by rothn : 18th Jun 2011 at 7:34 AM.
The Create-A-World tool can be found here. Install it and then go to its install directory (usually C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create a World Tool). Copy the granny2.dll file from that directory to the directory that TS3 Animator is in. You don't need any other files. TS3 Animator will find them all for you (meshes, rigs, animations and all!).

To export a mesh that you can animate in your 3D program, create a new animation with File->New. Then, click on the text that says "Animation Clip". Some text boxes and buttons should appear. Click the button that says "Export Mesh." It will export a 3D mesh in the SMD Mesh format (.smd). If you're using Blender, you must install the Blender SMD Tools to open the exported mesh. Once you have imported the mesh in Blender, make an animation (make sure you do this in "Pose" mode, not "Edit" mode). Then, export that animation to an SMD Animation file(also .smd). Finally, click the "Import Animation" button in TS3 Animator, browse to the SMD you exported in blender, and click "Open," which should import your animation. In the box with the faint gray text that says "Animation Name," type "a_myAnim_x", and type "myAnim.blend" in the box with the faint gray text that says "Source File."

Note: The "Export Animation" button is unstable, and you probably shouldn't use it.

As far as the coding goes, I am putting the finishing touches on my graphical Jazz script editor, and after that gets released, I will have a GUI for creating very basic object scripts where the users use pre-defined "blocks" that they drag from a toolbox (e.g. a "Do Loop" block to execute a loop in their Jazz script where exit reasons are defined with a series of checkboxes).

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#375 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 8:55 PM
By the way, I give up on SourceForge. Please email me if you want the source code.

Page 15 of 17