Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Apr 2014 at 8:11 PM
Default hp notebook system check
Hi. I just got a new hp notebook and wanted a quick once-over of my system, The good, the bad and the ugly from experienced users. I just want to know what settings I should play sims 3 on for the best experience without straining my system and what my notebook can and can't handle. These are my system specs as far as I can find them at the moment (I'm still navigating my way through the new system so if I need to add more specs I'll need a guide to finding those specs):

Windows 8.1
System
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.4GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
GeForce GT 740M dedicated graphics:
DirectX runtime version: 11.0
Graphics clock: 980 MHz
Memory data rate: 1840 MHz
Memory interface: 64-bit
Memory bandwidth: 14.72 GB/s
Total available graphics: 4096 MB
Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB DDR3
Video BIOS version: 80.28.3E.00.19
Bus: PCI Express x8 Gen3
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 9:01 AM
1. Download Fraps and install it.
2. Run the program before you play Sims, then launch Sims.
3. A yellow number should appear in the top left corner of your screen. That number represents the number of frames per second your computer is outputting. We call this measure FPS, for short.
4. Set your resolution in the Sims options to the native resolution of your computer's screen. Leave all other options at default.
5. Play for about an hour or so and watch your FPS counter.
6. If your FPS is lower than 60 on average, then reduce th graphics options in the sims to the lowest value and start over. If after you do that it's still below 60 then your computer isn't handling the game very well.
7. If you're getting above 60 then increase the graphic options in The Sims 3 one by one little by little until you get close to 60 while you play.
8. The idea is to get as close to 60 as possible so as to balance smooth gameplay and your computer's workload.

Just for the record, the graphics card in your laptop isn't a gaming grade and you only have 4GB of RAM when 6GB is recommended for later expansions.