Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Aug 2016 at 7:05 PM Last edited by Sindarin : 31st Aug 2016 at 5:54 PM.
Opinion on this specification? Can it handle it?
So I have a custom built PC, so I know what specifications are required for TS3 for desktop. I am going to university in a month and require a laptop, as lets face it, taking my beast of a gaming PC to university halls is not something that I want to do (not only due to the logistics of it, but it cost me a lot of money and I don't want to damaged/stolen). I have never owned a "gaming laptop" before, and thus have no idea about the requirements needed.
I would like to be able to play TS2 (ultimate collection) + TS3 (base game, maybe one or two EP's, no SP's) on ultra settings (I am willing to turn down draw distance, tree detail etc. as I really only make sims), and maybe some other games such as Dota, WoW, Tera, Overwatch.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 5:53 PM
Sorry to mess your guys around, but I'd actually like some more advice, I know I said I'd resolved this. However will the specification for this laptop do for the games and requirements stated above??
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspi...2+Gaming+Laptop

Inspiron 15 7000
Processor = Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz
RAM = 8 GB
Storage = 1 TB HDD
Graphics Card = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960m (4GB VRAM)
Operating System = Windows 10

And if this is a piece of crap, would you be able to recommened any other machines that would be able to run TS3 at ultra, for a similar price? Thanks for your help!
Scholar
#3 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sindarin
Sorry to mess your guys around, but I'd actually like some more advice, I know I said I'd resolved this. However will the specification for this laptop do for the games and requirements stated above??
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspi...2+Gaming+Laptop

Inspiron 15 7000
Processor = Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz
RAM = 8 GB
Storage = 1 TB HDD
Graphics Card = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960m (4GB VRAM)
Operating System = Windows 10

And if this is a piece of crap, would you be able to recommened any other machines that would be able to run TS3 at ultra, for a similar price? Thanks for your help!

That one should be okay. Just be warned, I think it comes with a 4K display. Things may appear tiny if they aren't programmed to scale accordingly. Also you may have to manually set your game's resolution to something lower, such as 1080p, in order to get playable frame rates.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 6:58 PM
Well I did not realise that, thanks for the advice, I think I am going to steer clear of that one! Any other suggestions are very welcome.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 8:05 AM
Actually I may go for this, sorry. If I scaled the screen down to 1920 x 1080, would everything run smoothly? That's possible right?
Scholar
#6 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 8:45 AM Last edited by ajaxsirius : 1st Sep 2016 at 11:30 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sindarin
Actually I may go for this, sorry. If I scaled the screen down to 1920 x 1080, would everything run smoothly? That's possible right?

Yea, it's possible. It you can wait, i suggest waiting for laptops with a gtx 1060m.

edit: ugh, just checked the prices for the laptop gtx 1060s, not worth it imo.