Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 8:10 PM
Default How do you make the game more difficult?
I am just wondering how the Sims 2 community go about raising the difficulty of the game, do you charge taxes? And how much? Do you deduct their paychecks? Do you force them to leave their jobs? Please share =]
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 8:24 PM
I have the more expensive Service NPCs, private school tuition, and harder jobs hacks, and unless I'm playing a challenge, I ban aspiration rewards. In my age modified hoods I also use harder grades, and educationizgud or however it's misspelled.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 9:12 PM
I'm more into making this game easier.

sims leaving their jobs; not necessarily more difficult.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 9:42 PM
I have all the more expensive hacks and also make them take out loans to buy their houses which they have to pay back. I've never found it convincing that a complete home could be got for $20000. I build their homes then they have to buy 'em.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 11:39 PM
Halved Maxis job wages
Mostly player run businesses
Scholarships/portfolios/skills for uni and collage
Uni then played to wants
Motivation levels determine how much they do of the above, so in the end it determines jobs and living levels.
Loans that have to be paid back.
No services unless it's player run.
Risky woohoo, so chance of pregnancy.
Random chance of triplets or quads. (never had quads yet)
No perfect plants, sims have to maintain stuff themselves.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#6 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 12:01 AM
I make them pay taxes - 10% of net worth per week.
I also don't send everyone to college. They have to roll the want to go to college on the day they would normally age up to adult or they don't go.
Everyone doesn't graduate college, either. I don't force them to do assignments or build skills. I only direct them to those activities if they roll a want to do them. Family and Popularity Sims usually have a hard time, but I've even had Fortune Sims fail out of college.
I use a mod from Cyjon (Education is Gud) so that they can't reach the top level of any career without a degree, and the level they can reach is based on their final high school grade or semesters of college completed.
I also don't force them to build skills for their careers or make friends. Again, only if they roll the want. I basically give them as much autonomy as possible and (usually) don't force them to do anything they don't want for themselves. That makes it much more difficult (and fun) in my opinion.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 8:53 PM
The issue with college for me is that it is seriously more difficult NOT to do assignments, the amount of time in between classes and courses are soooo long that it is pointless to avoid it just to give them something to do.
Test Subject
#8 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 9:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
The issue with college for me is that it is seriously more difficult NOT to do assignments, the amount of time in between classes and courses are soooo long that it is pointless to avoid it just to give them something to do.

I use the Semester Changes mod so each semester is only two days. This makes it a lot more bearable. (I can never go back to playing 24-day university.) The time between classes really seems to fly by for me now because they have to squeeze everything in to eight days.
Test Subject
#9 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 9:58 PM
I have a mod (one of Cyjon's, I think?) that makes it so bills arrive EVERY DAY. Unfortunately, that also means that apartment rent is due every day...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 10:04 PM
I use this to make things more difficult (and funny):
http://hexagonal-bipyramid.tumblr.c...the-blind-needs
:lovestruc
Mad Poster
#11 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 12:54 AM Last edited by kestrellyn : 25th Jul 2018 at 1:39 AM.
No20khandout
ExpensiveNPCs
Private school bills, and everyone goes to private school (specifically either Inge's prep school or Inge's boarding school, depending on the family)
Harderjobs
Halved wages
Limit 8 hours spent on each community lot business per household per day
No home ticket businesses
No prices higher than "expensive"
College tuition

With the halved wages, living in an apartment is actually very difficult/maybe impossible most of the time, so I actually have another mod that halves apartment rent. But that's it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 1:52 AM
Oh yes I forgot about 20K handout! I use that one of course. Also wondering is there something to help with inheritance? I haven't had a sim die of old age for years but I remember it being way too much.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 2:01 AM
Yes: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=288785 I've had that one for so long I forgot it was there.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 2:44 AM
Thanks, I thought there was something around to stop that.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 1:07 PM
I've got a BACC game and my first settlers can only take part time jobs as I've got a Mod to let them choose which way to go and they can either go full time or part time if they're older than teens.I've got to make them live in houses which they buy until the town's population gets bigger and apartments are needed.I'll always have immigrants taking part tiem jobs as they won't have skills for full time work.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 8:09 PM
Hacks:
Death and Doom
- Avadon's Realistic Sickness
- Cyjon's Frequent Disease Processing, depending on if the Sim is recovering or worsening.
- Simmodder's More Dangerous Fires
- gummilutt's Customizable Chance of Death by Satellite and Cyjon's Deadly Satellites.

Education
- Cyjon's Harder Homework (you will probably want (Partial Homework Credit too)
- Smonaff's Fall Asleep When Doing Homework (meshes so nicely with Harder Homework)
- Kestrellyn's College Tuiton
- Pescado's Private School Bill Fix (though I occasionally refund it for 'scholarship' kids)
- I used to use AncientHighway's Harder Grades - Term Required but ran into a mod conflict and removed it.

Careers
- Lamare's Lower job promotion chances
- Cyjon's Job Stopinator

Finances
- Pescado's no20khandout
- Cyjon's Bigger Bills
- Amura's Fair wages for service NPCs

Other Stuff:
- Dickhurt's No Free Food With Refrigerator (I wish there was a way to move existing groceries to a new fridge, though)
- I guess twojeff's Triplets and Quads could count, as it turned the Ottomas twins into the Ottomas quads...
- Inge's bedwetting hack (can't figure out where on the site it is)

I do have a few hacks to make things easier though, such as the Sim Salary Bonus Schemes letting Sims get ahead a tiny bit and shorter school days for kids.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#17 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 8:28 PM
Bulbizarre, what was the conflict with the term paper mod? Because most of the time, a conflict with that mod would also result in a conflict with my college tuition mod.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 9:16 PM
I'm sorry, I can't remember. I removed it before you released your tuiton mod though. I'll take a look again.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#19 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 9:26 PM
No, what mean is that whatever it was the caused the conflict, which might still be in your downloads, is probably now conflicting with the college tuition hack. If you don't remember what it was you should run HCDU to check. If it doesn't find anything, there's a good chance you removed whatever it was and can put the term paper hack back in.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 10:04 PM
Oh, I have no20khandout, too.

When I play college, I play to wants and fears only. If a sim fears flunking out, I'll have them do the bare minimum to pass. If they want a generic skill point, they get the one they need for their grade. If they want to write a term paper, they get to. If they don't, too bad. I think I have a mod that squelches the doing assignments during parties nonsense, I don't hardly ever see sims do assignments when unplayed anymore. Though that might be because someone is making out with someone else's supposed significant other and the slap fest that's beginning is much more interesting.

In my age-modified uberhood, I play pretty strictly to wants and fears. I do try to get sims to want what I think is in character-so if Don Lothario wants to meet someone new I'll try to point him at a female romance or pleasure sim, and if Nina wants to meet someone new I'll point her at a male romance or pleasure sim, if that's possible. But if a sim really needs two charisma points and a friend to get promoted, but wants to study couples' counseling, he's going to study couples' counseling. Too bad about not being able to pay those bills on time!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#21 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 10:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
No, what mean is that whatever it was the caused the conflict, which might still be in your downloads, is probably now conflicting with the college tuition hack. If you don't remember what it was you should run HCDU to check. If it doesn't find anything, there's a good chance you removed whatever it was and can put the term paper hack back in.
the Hack Conflict Detection Utility program I take tells based on current files in Downloads folder.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 2:57 AM
does anyone remember how hard it was to fill up the motives in the sims 1? just give the sims 2 the sims 1 motives.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 4:02 AM
I do remember that, and I don't miss it!

I'm aware of people who change the language to one they don't know, so the pop-ups aren't informative.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 4:28 AM
Sims 1 motives were crazy. They had no days off and phone calls would last about 10 seconds often with negative results. If that didn't get you, death by fireworks would!

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 7:51 PM
I dont. *shrug* Real life is hard enough. My Simmies get an easy life!
Page 1 of 2