Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 11:27 PM
Default *An Idea* Household & Personal Funds (Idea for a future game-feature)
So this is just an idea I've got for Sims 4 (I also had the same thought/idea for Ts2 and Ts3)

This is just something that might be added to an update, definitely not an EP-idea by any means. (Though it could tie-in somewhat with a Generations EP)

I want to see money split into "household funds" and "personal funds" ... So "personal funds" would be what each individual sim has on them. Household funds would be for the entire household (I don't think this should show a total ... Household funds would be a separate account, so your total money would your household funds + whatever your sims have on them)

Personal funds would be displayed either as a section in a sims' inventory tab, or maybe as a drop-down or pop-up menu when you click on the household funds. You'd be able to freely switch funds to and from household/personal accounts of your sims (similar to the household/retail funds in GTW) Personal funds would carry over when a sim moves out of the house.

When a sim returns from a day of work, you'll get an option asking where you want your pay to go. (Though I could settle for an automatic "direct deposit" into the Household funds that you could then transfer, but the option would be nice)

If a sim sells a painting or other crafted items, (or collectables) it'll go into their personal funds.

If a sim buys something in-game such as a canvas, wood, food, drinks, etc. it'll come out of their personal funds, (but as backup, it'll come out of household funds if there isn't enough in the personal funds.

When you're in build mode, you can select which account to use money from, that way if a teen sim saved up to buy their own TV or Computer with their own money, they can. Or roommates using their own money. (Again, I'd settle for build/buy just using household funds, and I'd transfer $from personal accounts before buying.... But a little drop-down selection of accounts would be great)

Bills would be paid from The household, (or again, better yet a choice of where to take the $ from)

I think this would make the game more realistic, and would be ideal for roommate-households, that way if one sim makes waaaay more money than their roomates, they don't have to share all of it with that lazy jerk who sits on the couch all day!

It would also be great for family-games, especially when Generations comes out (Yes, WHEN... not IF, be hopeful, people!!) Teens who have part-time jobs would be able to earn their own money and actually keep it for themselves instead of throwing it into the household funds. And if kids/preteens get lemonade/food stands in Generations, then they would be able to earn money too. With the household/personal system in play, it could also allow for new gameplay of kids and teens receiving allowances from their parents for doing chores (or for doing nothing if you've got a spoilt little rich sim!) and that way smart kids and teens could even save up for their future, their first adult house, etc.

I would love to see a system like this, and they've already accomplished something similar with GTW's retail funds, so I think that it might be possible. (And if EA did add it, they should add "Personal Funds" as a gameplay option, so people who would rather have just one account and keep things simpler can do so)

Let me know what you think... Would you like to see this in the game? Would you find a system like this useful? If you agree, comment and say so! That way maybe it'll actually be seen and make it into the game! (I'm aware it's a long shot lol ... but I'm thinking hopefully here )
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 1st May 2018 at 8:51 AM
Hey, just in case anyone else agreed with me about this idea, I've found a mod called Sim National Bank that is just what I need!! It's not quite perfect, and the makers of the mod are apparently currently working on updating the mod to make it run smoother and work out any little glitches/bugs. (Which I can't wait to see! It'll be great)

It provides the option for a sim to have their own bank account separate from household funds! And it's easy to transfer between accounts. There are a few little hiccups but it's a great mod and I know they'll only improve it from here.

I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to post links here on MTS but if you google it I'm sure you'll be able to find it 😊
Mad Poster
#3 Old 1st May 2018 at 9:04 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 1st May 2018 at 10:39 AM.
Post it on the official forums too. EA is not really open to feedback, but worth a try. Developers don't seem to visit fansite much, so it's unlikely your idea will be seen in here by them.

I would prefer If the time didn't pause every single time sim left work and that the prompt window didn't obscure half on the screen (it could exist as in notification box corner). Also, would fill intuitive If could choose what funds you would like to spend and as for getting paid that sort of transaction should occur where it makes sense (like with painting and every other money-making object).
Instructor
#4 Old 1st May 2018 at 1:16 PM
I remember the first Sims game had a finances menu that showed you how much you were making and how much you were spending. That was cool.
Scholar
#5 Old 1st May 2018 at 2:06 PM
I would rely on any update/patch to give us this feature, but maybe a mod creator, the only actual way for a sim have their "own" money for no one else to spend, is to live alone.