Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 5:03 PM Last edited by inspiredzone : 28th Sep 2017 at 1:28 AM.
Default Open-Concept Family House
After 10 years of claiming I'll upload lots, I'm finally taking the plunge and working on CC-free versions of my favorites. Better late than never.

This is a WIP, so the exterior and landscaping isn't done. I have two specific questions right now.

1. Does this roof look ok? I keep fussing around with it, because the right side looks so big and blocky from the rear, even though it's at 20-degrees pitch. The patio has uneven walls, so it's hard to break it up into smaller pieces and still keep everything covered. Any suggestions?

2. I like the driveway where it is in Pic 1 for aesthetic reasons, but in order to place it here, I have to use move objects on, and there's the weird animation jump when cars leave. Should I A. place the driveway in the "correct" position 3 spaces over even thought I don't like it, B. place the driveway in the position that requires move objects on, or C. put down just brick flooring and let people make their own decision as to where to add the driveway?

Bonus question: Naming ideas? I'm terrible at titling anything. It took me 10 minutes just to come up with a subject title for this thread. In my hood, this lot is just called 228 Idlewild St because Maxis already named the road.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 7:31 PM
The roof looks fine to me, especially since the location of the driveway says: "Converted garage."

Leave the driveway where it is and warn downloaders about the animation glitch. If it bugs them, they'll fix it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#3 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 10:23 PM
LOL @ not being able to title - I'm the same way. Everything is so ambiguous on the net or in texts. I came to this thread thinking it was about an open relationship family.

I have to agree with Peni; Can't really see anything wrong with your lot. As far as the driveway problems, I've always either redesigned the walls so the driveway can go on the left side of the lot or moved the drive to the "correct" spot and filled in the void to the right with matching bricks to make it look like its still a driveway.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 6:44 AM
The roof is fine.

The driveway looks good where it is, so I suggest just mentioning the animation when you upload it. I doubt that it will bother anyone - after all, we play with houses where taxis drive through them because the postal box was moved.

I think the house is nice
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#5 Old 30th Sep 2017 at 4:25 PM
The roof looks fine to me and so does the garage placement. I name my uploads with place and street names from around where I live.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Sep 2017 at 10:07 PM
Another option is to name it with a real estate description providing information we won't be able to deduce from the thumbnail once it's in the lot bin, ie 2 bed/1 bath unfurnished.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#7 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 7:49 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 1st Oct 2017 at 10:54 PM.
1) Roof: Overall, the roof looks good - stunning even, from the street side. In regard to the back porch area, if you're concerned about adequately covering the diagonal walls in that area, you might consider just bringing the main roof further back, so as to cover those inside corners where the diagonal walls are. Also, I don't think the two columns fit at all.
Edit: You might even try pulling two small diagonal roof sections across the corners. I've never used those myself, so I'm not sure how they would look.
Here's what I'm getting at. Two small pieces of diagonal shed roofs, with the pitch angles reduced greatly. As you can see, the one on the left, where the big main roof is, looks reasonably good, but the one on the right sticks out because there isn't enough of the other roofs to cover it:

I think a shed roof like this would look best. You will have to keep the shed roof to a minimum angle of 15 and possibly adjust the main roofs a little steeper because the shed roof will want to stick out on the right-hand side:

Another option would be just make a flat roof, using the miscellaneous floor tile "Framed in Gray from Upper Crust":

Roofs are often just trial and error, with no hard rules to follow. You just have to go with what you think looks best.

2) Driveway is fine where it is. Nobody cares about vehicle animations. There are countless houses that have no vehicle animations at all, because of where the driveway is located. It is a non-issue.

3) Wall-in that red-brick fireplace chimney with a stone or masonry wall covering. Or even a stucco color would be fine, including the one used on the house. Anything but red brick, which doesn't fit with this house at all.
Inventor
#8 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 7:33 AM
Using different terrain for the outdoors is a great way to make the landscape around your house pop out naturally. Even having some dirt texture underneath those shrubbery, flower beds, and a little under that hibiscus will work nicely.

Check out my profile for homes and community lots ready for download: My Homes and Stuff
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 8:04 AM
I think the roof looks fine and so does the driveway.

I would not use those large columns there right in front on a window, I would use narrower columns and move them towards the edge. I might try a edge fence as a roof trellis over the top at the back.

Don't forget the terrain paint.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 8:32 AM
I agree wit Jo about the columns.