Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2018 at 8:36 PM Last edited by Liza : 26th Aug 2018 at 10:24 PM.
Default Modern Ray Tracing and Reflection in Sims 2
Because of all this news about the new Nvdia graphics cards and the technology of ray tracing (the fact that it helps to create a very realistic lighting and reflection), I wonder: how are reflections workd in the sims 2. I heard that in old games reflection was created by duplicating a room and a character with a mirror the transfer of this beyond the mirror. But I do not think that in the Sims 2 so reflections are created in the mirror. It's very difficult - the rooms are built by the players and not built in advance by the developers.

And what else: in the beta screenshots of the Sims 2 was a reflection of floor (something like this):
Found here: https://modthesims.info/showthread....25#startcomment

This for unknown reasons removed in the final version.
Said that ray tracing will help create similar effects in future games. But it's already been in the old games, like Unreal or Sims 2.
I was interested in this topic because of the fact that some modern games (Mafia 3) have problems with reflection.
What do you think about ray tracing and mirror and floor reflection in Sims 2 and other old games?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 26th Aug 2018 at 9:13 PM
There's a thread going on in the creators' forums here about this exact topic! Somebody found the beta materials shaders for the game and (surprise surprise) they have a reflection system for objects AND floors! It doesn't work very well, though, since it looks like the beta shaders were made to work with the beta lighting system and not the final game lights.
Instructor
#3 Old 26th Aug 2018 at 11:04 PM
Unrelated to the topic, but I really like that oven!

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Aug 2018 at 11:41 PM
There are (were?) some reflective floors over at TSR, but probably using different mechanics (and they're really resource-heavy).
Instructor
#5 Old 26th Aug 2018 at 11:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
There are (were?) some reflective floors over at TSR, but probably using different mechanics (and they're really resource-heavy).

Here you go, they're by Murano over at T$R. They're not perfect though. I get blue reflections when the camera is positioned at certain angles. And rugs (though they might be fixed with Rugfix, which I don't have), doors and windows don't behave nicely with them. And since they're technically mirrors, they can be a hassle sometimes when you are trying to click objects close to them.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 4:09 PM
Sorry to bring up this old thread but I want clear up any misconceptions.
This isn't raytracing, it's just the same method that mirrors use. As people said above you can download floors to do the same thing.
The floors were most likely scrapped because most players probably wouldn't able to handle constant reflections on the flooring.
It's a cool picture though, also you should join the sims 2 beta discussion discord we love this stuff lol https://discord.gg/kYz9B2

And speaking of scrapped graphics feature, one thing that isn't actually present in the final game is specularity. We have shine in the game which is cool and specularity might be in the base game but I'm not sure. But the specular feature didn't make it past seasons (probably because the shaders went through a lot of changes with the addition of snow etc) and this advanced specularity shown in this picture - https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...6628/image0.png - which shows coloured specular definitely didn't make it. It's a shame because it makes a huge difference (you can mod the specular into your game, we linked it on discord), and looks great, but it lags the game really badly.