Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 5:35 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 4th Aug 2018 at 8:08 AM.
Default Fantasy/Superpowers/Magic Incorperation Into A Hood?
As anyone tried what a title suggested? The Sims Series pretty much have everything what's provided with you, so the choices are endless as far imagination goes. Though one thing I felt is missing and it's harder to tackle with vanilla game (and maybe even some mods thrown) is the concept of fantasy. I know we get witches spells and witchcraft stuff, plus other occult creatures albeit lacking, but that's as far as you can go. I have in mind though, If I ever have thrown in the idea of the hood being run by sims that have magical abilities, I would either have them be turned into witches/warlock and be restricted to using one spell to diversify sims and make them unique individuals with different powers. Maybe create some embodiments of certain personifications (skills, hobbies, personalities), mythological/folklore creatures with their purposes of bringing to the humanity here and there.

Considering this topic would be helpful to everyone If I leave the idea vague and open to interpretation, have you ever handle incorporating an element of some sorts that would be considered unordinary/mythical/paranormal/mystical/supernatural//superheroes/horrow monsters/magic/*insert adjective synonyms* into your playstyle or the specific hood your playing that would oppose realism. Sorry If I can't word and lack the vocabulary to start and open up such subject.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 6:28 AM
I've started neighborhoods before by rolling to determine if my founding CAS sims are supernatural (and if so, what kind) or normal sims, which makes things a lot more varied in the start. But in my current legacy-style neighborhood I did things a bit differently. I'm trying to play without cheats, and it started out with just one original legacy family, then I started playing the spares and college roommates, teen townies sent to university, apartment roommates, etc. I'm trying to keep really vanilla with this neighborhood playstyle, but not too "realistic" vanilla, more of a "vanilla game" type. So the only supernatural sims I have in that neighborhood right now are from getting them through normal gameplay means. But I also only acted on it if the sims wanted to do so -- ex: a sim meets a good/bad witch on a comm lot and rolls the want to befriend the witch; sim is a knowledge sim and rolls the want to be a witch, zombie, werewolf, etc; sim meets vampire and wants to be friends with the vampire. My only current zombie in the game is a result of my playable evil witch using her cowplant to kill a townie teen, then she resurrected the teen as a zombie with a spell. I sent the zombie teen to university with the rest of that household's kids when they went to college.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 9:59 AM
You kinda gave me with the zombie idea (in conjunction with the resurrect-o-nomitron). I also thinking of creating time travellers or that character from Life is Strange (in her case, taking a picture with that camera stand when a folk of butterflies spawn) where a time gets reverted by reloading a save and changing the outcome.

Alchemist
#4 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 8:57 PM
"superpowers"/magic.
changed sims into the become-able creatures at least once. in AnyGameStarter or in the "Learn to Play" section of game.
Bigfoot has yet to be brought to any sim's home and Servos/robots are yet to be made.

fantasy.
not much of my gameplay matched fantasy novels; though have not copied real life either.
Test Subject
#5 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 8:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
As anyone tried what a title suggested?

There are several people here that post stories containing mythological creatures/fantasy landscape kind of hoods. Check out http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/ for content designed specifically for medieval/fantasy type hoods including satyr, mermaids, and mod that make the alien abduction into being taken away by the fairies. If you register there are stories there showing you exactly how others have incorporated magical and supernatural elements.
There are a more than a few blogs about some peoples stories with a fantasy bent, as I recall, this one has witches, vampires, zombies and aliens (viewed as fairies) all woven into a very cool storyline : The Chronicles of Albion

I tend to play with aliens, plant sims and witches most. I play with different cultures in my hoods so each one has a different perspective on each type of supernatural. Some might worship plant sims as blessed by the Earth goddess while another culture might view the plantsim as diseased, Witches may be revered by one culture and sentenced to death in another and so on. Vacation hoods and subhoods allow me to come up with different systems within the same game and allows for the idea of possible conflicts or cooperation with different cultures.

For example, when I play witches in a neighborhood, I have a system to control who may become witches. I used Harry Potter for inspiration here. Their offspring have a chance of either being a witch or not. For each magical parent I roll a 6 sided die. If it's even then that are also magical. If they have others in the family tree with magical abilities they get to add those people up to 5. If that roll is less than or equal to the number of other people in the family tree with magical abilities, they are magical. It allows for a small possibility of a 'squib'. Non magical parents can produce magical offspring if the matchmaker gives the child a genie lamp before the child is a teen, or if the parent has received a lamp before the birth and they roll a 6 on a 6 sided die. Then depending on the culture of their homeland they can either go to special wizardry schools and take high positions in careers or they may have to live on the fringe of society if anyone catches them using their magic.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 7:07 PM Last edited by terula8 : 14th Aug 2018 at 8:06 PM.
I love the supernaturals. I play with all of them! Edit: all of them except zombies... I have a real life fear of zombies and can't really get with them in game, so they are never any...

Witches - Inspired by a children's book I loved called The Witch Trade, I have three witch clans: Light Witches, who are good to the point of being twee - but not above pettiness on occasion. They tend to be a bit 'airy fairy', and their homes are highly decorated in pastels and stuffed toys, and pretty kitsch. Night witches who are the exact opposite, and tend to be 'evil' >> which I think is a strong word. I feel like 'bad' suits them better. It's as ambiguous as good, and they do have moments of kindness and tenderness on occasion too. They keep their communal covens dark and somber, and... kitschy. Witches love Kitsch. Lastly are my Earth witches. So called because they're practical, no nonsense sims who like things orderly, and keep their kitsch neatly tidied away. The three clans have a bitter rivalry. The goal is to become the biggest clan, and since my witches like Kstaron's are born, not made, each witch tries to make it with as many nonmagical sims as possible to swell the ranks of the clan. Kids of witch + nonwitch unions have a 50/50 chance of being magical themselves. Magic reveals itself at age 5, but isn't taught properly until age 13. Non magical sims are allowed to be members of covens though - they're just there to swell the ranks. Any sim with a Witch turn-on is said to be one of these. For the most part though, sims don't much like witches (especially the Night witches) and would prefer they stopped casting spells on community lots, so the police force is able to arrest any witch on suspicion of public magic usage if they happen to catch one of any designation in the act.

Werewolves - Caused by the Lycanthropy L virus, werewolves are usually few and far between. They can't help their urge to savage though, and where it doesn't kill a sim it turns them into a similar beast! Again, this is a criminal act in my hoods, but the werewolves just can't help it... They really are a kind of sim/beast hybrid creature, and are both born AND made since they can bear 'cubs' who are pure werewolf, but can also pass the Lycanthropy L virus on to sims who will then have their genes mutated by it. Sim + Werewolf relationships are also 50/50 on whether it will be passed on to the offspring, with a slightly higher likelihood if the mother is carrying the virus. These offspring may be born as normal sims, but they will still be considered carriers of the Lycanthropy L virus, and can then pass it on to any children they have. The chances of passing on both virus and mutation decrease so long as carrier sims marry non-carrier sims.

Vampires - EDIT - I have finally worked out my vampire headcanon (praise be). They CAN get pregnant because they're not really undead, they're just another kind of Elvish life-form (like a mosquito, but as a sim lol). Their bodies convert the plasma from other sims into a special kind of energy that gives them an unusually long lifespan. They're not immortal however (can't stand it) so they die eventually, but they live about 2x as long as a normal sim. They can reproduce successfully only with each other. When they are part of a sim + vampire couple, I'll leave the pregnancy to chance and won't track motives to simulate a difficult pregnancy. The small chance that it could be successful will just add drama, but sims are notoriously bad at maxing the two critical motives (energy and hunger) so it should be interesting to see whether they can manage it! It should also keep vampires from breeding out of control in my hoods.

Aliens - In my hood they're called the Silaxis, and they're interstellar refugees from their homeworld Silaxtis. After a devastating cataclysm destroyed Silaxtis, it's remaining population fled to Simearth where they're considered a threat to simkind in some quarters. Things are getting tense in Strangetown...

Plantsims - I decided they were Spring Elves rather than 'plantsims'. It just made more sense to me in my head. Again, these should be born, not made. Rose Greenman is the last of her kind, so she's going to need to spawn as many plantbabies as she can. She can also breed with her Sim husband and give birth the natural way - and those infants are longer lived than true Elves (who wax and wane with the turning of the seasons - my age mod is the cause of this: I deliberately didn't change Plantsim ages because I thought it made sense: they're more fragile than sims are and can't live in every climate. There are no Spring Elves in Strangetown for example: it's not green enough). To make her family interesting, I play them as needing to save Rose's rare species of elf from extinction by spawning and giving birth to as many of that descent as possible.

Genie: I love the color purple, so I have a headcanon where the Genie falls in love with a sim woman and she gives birth to a purple-skinned infant in antiquity. The modern descendants of this union all have varying degrees of purple, violet, lavender, indigo, and even bluish skin. They also have a distinct culture. They no longer have wish-granting magic, but they are able to grow the fabled 'money tree' and have a few other special skills that come from their Genie heritage.
Alchemist
#7 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
Genie: I love the color purple, so I have a headcanon where the Genie falls in love with a sim woman and she gives birth to a purple-skinned infant in antiquity. The modern descendants of this union all have varying degrees of purple, violet, lavender, indigo, and even bluish skin. They also have a distinct culture. They no longer have wish-granting magic, but they are able to grow the fabled 'money tree' and have a few other special skills that come from their Genie heritage.

My Genie lives among the sims and has violet eyes, as well. He had a child with Lilith Pleasant and the girl has her red hair, the genie's naturally dark skin, but his violet eyes.

I incorporate my "supernaturals" by making them normal people who can sometimes do extraordinary things. Iow, even if some sims may believe the genie is magic, he is not, really, he's actually a part of a traveling gypsy family who has done something to his skin to make it that color as part of the show. The witches are sims who have learned magic and they keep it quiet ( I am still trying to mod them so they have the option to walk instead of fly on the broom so they don't give themselves away). My zombies were caused by a virus that jumped from Humble's computers to humans. You get the idea.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 9:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
My Genie lives among the sims and has violet eyes, as well. He had a child with Lilith Pleasant and the girl has her red hair, the genie's naturally dark skin, but his violet eyes.

I incorporate my "supernaturals" by making them normal people who can sometimes do extraordinary things. Iow, even if some sims may believe the genie is magic, he is not, really, he's actually a part of a traveling gypsy family who has done something to his skin to make it that color as part of the show. The witches are sims who have learned magic and they keep it quiet ( I am still trying to mod them so they have the option to walk instead of fly on the broom so they don't give themselves away). My zombies were caused by a virus that jumped from Humble's computers to humans. You get the idea.

I love that Sunrader! Your genie is very handsome too if I do say so myself! I'm kind of in the mood to play my origin story now and have a genie fall in love with a sim lady I need to build a new hood to play it properly, so now I'm really in a bind LOL but it's one of those typical #SimmerProblems: when you're not even through the first generation of one hood and you start wanting to build a new one
Alchemist
#9 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 3:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
I love that Sunrader! Your genie is very handsome too if I do say so myself! I'm kind of in the mood to play my origin story now and have a genie fall in love with a sim lady I need to build a new hood to play it properly, so now I'm really in a bind LOL but it's one of those typical #SimmerProblems: when you're not even through the first generation of one hood and you start wanting to build a new one

It's funny that you say that, because my Genie was developed as an origin story, too. Angela Pleasant died and was resurrected by the game Genie, then all sorts of questions arose about where she was while she was "dead" since, of course, in my more realistic game, she wouldn't really be dead, so I needed a "real" Genie and Lilith, who was still a teen because I'd never played her. I played the backstory in the same hood. I just thought of it as sort of... flashbacks or a prequel, like in a movie, but I used VC to make sure no one from the "present" inappropriately visited while it was playing out. It was very involved and great fun and it's allowed me to keep the same genie and return him to "present" time and now he's on to new schemes. So this is how I incorporate the supernatural.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 2:06 PM
If I were to resurrect at one point in my hood, I will need to sacrifice a sim (for one to die) for the ritual of resurrection to work.

I haven't though full rules for my supernatural (as it's a good, I don't have any playable occults as of right now apart from one witch, giving me time to think of some. Your guys given playstyles should help me out to choose or think off while on the long run.

I do plan giving access to aspiration rewards only to Aliens, as those gizmos seem like out-of-ordinary and too futuristic for sims to be using. Money tree should help the aliens to settle in with the community of earth easily financially.

As for passing life stage genes, which is a shame TS2 lacks off physiological genetics, I thought I could do it manually by a roll dice with even and odd numbers determining If I'll transform (in figurative storyline sense: the sim was born like that) the sim into x or y creature If the parents are both either two of those.

Scholar
#11 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 10:50 PM
Magic is integral to SimHampton; it was a town founded by four magical sisters (back when Sims 1 was newish). Sims can be "tested" by someone known to have a strong magical ability. If it makes plot sense for a particular Sim to be able to Mystic-weave, or they pass a dice roll, they are considered "magical". I then roll for their powers. Some of these powers are associated with the AL magic ability, but many Mystic-weavers do not ever get their wand and cauldron. Most Sims are potentially magical but have to have that potential spotted at an opportune moment in order for it to become "teachable" and for them to use that potential.

Sometimes the roll is failed, or a Sim joins the BaneForce without having a magic power recognised. These people have tested "negative" for magic ability and can never learn it - not even from a witch they may become friends with.

Different powers get different abilities - telepathy is only for telepaths, healing requires some sort of healing skill, etc. There are also different groups, which affects how powers grow and develop. In particular:

- good/neutral League of Mystics have to learn additional skills from a mentor or do some activity that shows they have a previously-unknown skill. Different League members typically know a few different skills, out of a massive array of options, but without a mentor to guide them, many skills are marginal at best.

- good/neutral Valgonians must practise making and providing potions. Also, in their case it's not enough to pass some sort of test; Valgonians are a species and not just a group, so all new members must marry or be adopted into the race, then have their features changed to provide the species features and feats (such as magic, and blindsight). All the magic of a Valgonian relates to required secondary powers (such as their blindsight, since none have visible eyes or sight organs), their potion-making or their ability to use their sword for magical (and non-lethal) purposes.

- neutral SymSych members gain abilities by seniority (that is to say, they gain a new set of powers after they have held the previous "rank" for some time, usually 7 game days). Note that all gypsies are SimSych members in SimHampton, as this is what gives their training, their powers, and their government licence to charge for matchmaking. All SimSych members of the same rank will always have the exact same powers, these relating to matchmaking (obviously), affinity with animals, certain types of healing, empathy, divination and repulsing evil.

- evil BaneForce Mystics can never increase their abilities; these are set at the moment they defect to the evil side. (SimBane cannot create magic and accidentally destroys any undeveloped magical ability in Sims it favours).The powers they get relate to destruction, but also scrying, telepathy, teleportation, deceit and a couple of other areas that would be useful for an evil spellcaster to know.

Everyone just sort of accepts that SimHampton is a place where magic is a routine occurrence. Some are enthusiasts, others quietly resigned, but it would never occur to anyone to try banning magic or keeping magical ability secret.

As for the other supernaturals:

Aliens and Plantsims are descended from members of the drioru who went to space in the past, some of whom (or some of their descendents) have since returned to SimHampton to live. The two simply reflect different adaptations that were made as the drioru crossed the galaxy, looking for adventure and new worlds to "tend". They have a few residual powers, mostly required secondary powers such as the one-time ability to teleport out of a pregnant body. Drioru, aliens and plantsims all consider themselves drioru, though first-generation aliens also consider themselves aliens from whichever worldship was their working base. Elves are politically opposed to both (and drioru, for that matter), but SimHampton has imposed a formal truce between the races, so that the war that exists elsewhere cannot be imported to these streets or skies. Note that both elves and drioru are species with no analogue in the Sims 2 supernatural race choices.

Werewolves - one of the powers the BaneForce developed was to turn Sims into dogs and cats, and vice versa. Werewolves are Sims who have been turned into dogs, with a specific version of the spell where it only works during the hours of darkness (evil spells are weaker during the daytime). The spell has zero impact on the "true" personality of the Sim, but thoughts are more like wolves or dogs at night than they would be otherwise. I would have liked to have seen werecats/werelions/weretigets, simply because it would have brought balance to my neighbourhood's powers system...

Vampires - I simply considered vampires to be a species that happens to live in the SimHampton area. They are mostly good people, though the most powerful BaneForce Mystic ever once managed to create an evil one deliberately. It didn't work out well for the BaneForce Mystic, as it turns out there are Things Sims Were Not Meant To Know...

The Genie - is a magical being who works with the Valgons and sometimes the League of Mystics to help people, in his sometimes puzzling way.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 2:02 AM
Hmm, I'll admit that I havent thought out full rules for my supernatural characters yet - magic existed at the founding of my neighborhood.

Witches: The main hood and the two subhoods each started with their own alignment: one "good", one "evil" and one "neutral and non-magic". The founders of each hood were considered pureblood witches/warlocks (infallibly good/atrociously evil/I just track the neutral ones). Witches/wizards pass down their magical abilities to their children through genetics and dice rolls. Of course, the hoods have co-mingled over time and so now the alignments have developed more into political parties.

Werewolves: The crime organization is run by the werewolf who is "leader of the pack". Like witchcraft, werewolf abilities are passed down genetically and dice rolls, so it's a family run mafia.

Vampires: No idea... I'd love to incorporate vampires but I can't deal with the non-aging and would want to find ways to get rid of them as I get more.

Aliens: In past hoods, I've considered them the enemy threat that the army fights against. In this hood, I'm using I don't really have much going on right now with them. They're kind of just accepted as there for now. They tend not to be able to inherit family fortunes and titles, because of their illegitimate status so there is some room for some drama there down the road.

Plantsims - I don't really have any in my hood only because they all look too alike for me.