Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 3:49 PM
My inner Ranger is showing again, but I'd be happy with just about any destination that actually focused on having Sims outdoors and away from their hotels for more than just an hour or two at a time... as it stands now, the ONLY kind of vacations Sims can take is the kind of vacation that I spend all season trying to convince people not to do! You need to get out of the car, away from the road, out of sight of the hotel, etc., if you're really trying to experience places like that (especially a place like Three Lakes!).

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#27 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
A leopard for Charity

Heavens, they are such beautiful creatures. Every time I see a picture, I marvel at their coats.

Back on topic: I can't remember, can you add more than the three destinations to your hood?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#28 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 4:11 PM
Yes, you can add extra custom vacation hoods to your main hood - I added two custom ones on top of the three that come with the game in my previous hood.
Inventor
#29 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 6:34 AM Last edited by Pizzatron-9000 : 24th Nov 2015 at 7:05 AM.
Ditto. Presently, my Pleasantview has four: The three base vacation subhoods and my custom one. My custom one's maybe about 50% small, cheap vacation homes, just because I got tired of my Sims repeatedly rolling up that "Buy Vacation Home" Want when the three Maxis destinations only have two or three vacation homes each, and they tend to be pretty pricey. "What? Again? Okay, okay, fine! Get on the computer. Got $11,000? Great! You are now the proud owner of a dinky little log cabin on Hoar Mountain! Now quit bugging me about vacation homes already." .

Now that I think about it, although certain details may differ (like the townies, their greetings, the jewelry, the tours, et al), there are really no requisites for each destination type as far as terrain or seasons or climate, are there? You could have a perma-Winter Tropical subhood, a perma-Summer Mountain subhood and so on. Granted, it would look pretty odd for a Mountain subhood to be based on the perfectly flat Pleasantview map, but we have plenty more latitude to work with than we might think, as far as creating new vacation destinations. Want your Sims to go hiking around some place like the mountains in Mexico? Mountain subhood, two Springs, two Summers and a few lots with those Tropical-style stone ruins, maybe even a Mesoamerican pyramid or two. Want your Sims to visit an old, orthodox village around the shores of Vladivostok, Russia? Far East subhood, one Spring, three Winters and a few beach lots. The Australian Outback? That might be something like a Tropical subhood, two Summers, two Falls and no beaches. Something like that. You Australians are welcome to throw fruit at me if I'm making a bad call, of course. .

Accounting for the natives and the secret lot characters might take a bit of mental gymnastics at times. Those grass-wearing Australian natives and their Witch Doctor? Obviously members of an Aborigine tribe who aren't quite ready to take up shoes and blue jeans just yet. That Mexican Bigfoot? Maybe he's the "Chupacabra" and the local villagers are simply mistaken about his dietary preferences. Whatever works, I guess.
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#30 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 7:05 AM
It's possible to have more than 3 vacation destination but just like Downtowns, the second vacation destination (of the same type!) won't have any new sims.
So if you add Three Lakes first and then another mountain vacation destination, the second mountain vacation destination won't have any sims (and vice-versa)

This is also true for Asian and tropical vacation destinations.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Inventor
#31 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 7:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
So if you add Three Lakes first and then another mountain vacation destination, the second mountain vacation destination won't have any sims (and vice-versa)

This is also true for Asian and tropical vacation destinations.

Oh, they'll have Sims, all right. They just won't have any newly generated Sims, that's all. If you create three Tropical subhoods, somehow, Daisy McCarthy and Jim Reeves (and all the rest of the natives) will be moseying around each one.

Those Twikkii Island islanders can really get around.
Trainee Moderator
#32 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 7:14 AM
When I added MMAA's mountain vacation destination subhood and then EA's Three Lakes, the game didn't add the Three Lakes sims. That's what I meant with the second vacation destination of the same type doesn't add sims to the neighborhood.

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Inventor
#33 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 7:30 AM
That Downtown Vacation Destination mod seems rather sketchy to me, if it can delete the Mountain townies just like that (and apparently cause another bug or three and make your neighborhood a bit wonky). I don't think I'll be downloading that one.

So it could be that what you're talking about is more the exception than the norm, as far as adding new vacation subhoods. Are the disappearing Maxis natives a universal feature/glitch/whatever, or is it just something that happened -- just this once -- because M.M.A.A. did some jiggery-pokery with the TS2 scripting and broke something?
Theorist
#34 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 4:51 PM
I used to do a lot of camping at state parks in the U.S.. There would be a lake beach for swimming and relaxing. Usually other events like crafting. There would be cookouts with all campers. A fishing area or two, maybe a contest where you trade fish for a prize. Nature walks and hayrides. Sing-alongs at the campfire. Playground areas for the kids. Small grocery store with t-shirts and other useful items along with souvenirs or trinkets.
Other themes could be western style town, Santa's Village with one lot being christmas trees for sale, Salem Village in Massachusetts would make a nice witchy theme.
Instead of making a vacation destination, what about a themed hood where some vacation mementos can still be gained, like all community lots and no residential. Can a hotel be added without it ending up as a vacation hood?

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 5:54 PM
A hotel can be added to your main hood or your business hood - Sims can book in and stay there - it does not have to be in a vacation hood.
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 8:19 PM
I like the African one - the sims go on safari.
Trainee Moderator
#37 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pizzatron-9000
That Downtown Vacation Destination mod seems rather sketchy to me, if it can delete the Mountain townies just like that (and apparently cause another bug or three and make your neighborhood a bit wonky). I don't think I'll be downloading that one.

So it could be that what you're talking about is more the exception than the norm, as far as adding new vacation subhoods. Are the disappearing Maxis natives a universal feature/glitch/whatever, or is it just something that happened -- just this once -- because M.M.A.A. did some jiggery-pokery with the TS2 scripting and broke something?

No, I have also created custom vacation destinations and it doesn't add the sims. That's how the game is. It's not M.M.A.A.'s issue.
M.M.A.A. did not broke the game. He has just changed the neighborhood type from downtown to vacation destination and added new lots, so it has all of the required objects that a vacation destination needs. It's completely safe to change the neighborhood type.
Look at this tutorial: http://modthesims.info/t/502306

My Simblr
Theorist
#38 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 11:10 PM
I've gotten some of the vacation memories from placing objects on non-bv community lots. Some that I can remember are the zen garden, digging up treasure, the wishing shrine thingy and of course the dances and gestures. Fire dancing if you place the mat in your sims neighborhood. Oh, the legend and pirate song. Not totally sure they get the memento on those last two although they can learn them.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Instructor
#39 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 11:47 PM Last edited by conversesneaker : 6th Dec 2015 at 5:22 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ather
Conversesneaker, let me know when your moon-base 'hood is done. I'm too nerdy to pass that up. Are you going to be uploading your Academie le Tour makeover anywhere? I love university makeovers, but I haven't seen any of them up for download before.

Possibly, probably uploading both. I don't foresee either being finished by the end of the year but it's something I'd like to accomplish! (I'll add it to the list of things I want to accomplish). I just need a little inspiration and a lot of time.

EDIT: ALT makeover finished! I am a little impressed with myself - and I can't wait to play it!!
Inventor
#40 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
No, I have also created custom vacation destinations and it doesn't add the sims. That's how the game is. It's not M.M.A.A.'s issue.
M.M.A.A. did not broke the game. He has just changed the neighborhood type from downtown to vacation destination and added new lots, so it has all of the required objects that a vacation destination needs. It's completely safe to change the neighborhood type.
Look at this tutorial: http://modthesims.info/t/502306

Fair enough. But still, if his Downtown vacation subhood doesn't generate natives or tourists, then who do my Sims interact with? Who teaches them new greetings and new dances, while occasionally annoying me by eating all of their grilled food?
Scholar
#41 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 9:37 PM
A castaway hood, like in Sims 2 Castaway. Tropical, but not a vacation destination.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#42 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 10:01 PM
New greetings and dances are for island, mountain and far east holiday destinations. The whole point of the city one is it's a different place. As for tourists and locals I guess you make your own.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#43 Old 31st Mar 2016 at 2:01 PM
Slightly resurrecting this thread, sorry :-P But I had another idea and I'd like to hear what people think of it! :-)

I want to make a historical/steampunk/fantasy vacation destination, something set in an "alternate universe" around 1900, Victorian Britain. I'd name it Britten-upon-Thames and it would be a mountain destination, I think. It would have different "areas" representing different parts of England (or maybe the UK, if I can think of any other things that I want to add). There would be the following areas: a London area with a palace, a city square, a couple of hotels, a couple of museums, a few shops and restaurants, a cathedral/large church and a large botanical gardens, as well as some vacation homes and a mock-"convent". A seaside area with a tower (like Blackpool Tower) and couple of beaches with beach huts. A Stonehenge area with Stonehenge (duh!) and also a small hotel, a few vacation homes and an outdoor market - this area would be "home" to the Fae, and they would have pet dragons. A Lake District area with a lake or two, a couple of hotels, some shops and restaurants and a few vacation homes. Can anyone think of anything else that I could add?
Mad Poster
#44 Old 31st Mar 2016 at 2:11 PM
Don't forget the pan-Celts! All the locals are redheaded and psychic ("There are no ordinary pan-Celts," says Diana Wynne Jones in The Tough Guide to Fantasyland.) They have a Wise Old Man druid in a sacred grove who performs a Whiskey Ceremony.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#45 Old 31st Mar 2016 at 4:58 PM Last edited by gazania : 6th Apr 2016 at 4:52 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
Slightly resurrecting this thread, sorry :-P But I had another idea and I'd like to hear what people think of it! :-)

I want to make a historical/steampunk/fantasy vacation destination, something set in an "alternate universe" around 1900, Victorian Britain. I'd name it Britten-upon-Thames and it would be a mountain destination, I think. It would have different "areas" representing different parts of England (or maybe the UK, if I can think of any other things that I want to add). There would be the following areas: a London area with a palace, a city square, a couple of hotels, a couple of museums, a few shops and restaurants, a cathedral/large church and a large botanical gardens, as well as some vacation homes and a mock-"convent". A seaside area with a tower (like Blackpool Tower) and couple of beaches with beach huts. A Stonehenge area with Stonehenge (duh!) and also a small hotel, a few vacation homes and an outdoor market - this area would be "home" to the Fae, and they would have pet dragons. A Lake District area with a lake or two, a couple of hotels, some shops and restaurants and a few vacation homes. Can anyone think of anything else that I could add?

My newly-completed custom vacation lot isn't that dissimilar. No convent, though. Or Stonehenge. Or outdoor market (mine are indoors). And no Fae. And no palace.

OK. It's not similar at all, now that I think about it!

But it's historical. (Different century, though ... 18th.) And it has beaches. And it's a mountain destination. The nice thing about custom vacation lots is that you can use all sorts of different templates to give your hood character, but still keep it true in some sense to the original. In my case, my historical site has a lot of very high hills and trees, and settlers could have very well had done slap dances, log-rolling and axe-throwing to pass any of their spare time. Maxis went a little too overboard with the tropes, but thanks to custom hoods, you can fix that somewhat.

Making hotels can be quite challenging, though. I managed, though, so probably others can, too. Probably with a lot less hassle than I had. Talk about learning by trial and error!

Roadside shrines might be nice in areas of your hood where you can't fit very much. Parsimonious altars on 1x1 lots, for instance or use that praying mod that eludes my flaky memory right now. Sophie-David has some great things you can use as well.

But before I go on ... are you a fan of CC? And are planning to upload this in the future? Plumb Bob Keep has so much for Sims in historical hoods to do that I couldn't have my Sims do all of the activities in one short visit unless I cheated motives like mad. My downloads folder is not very happy with me right now. But I'm not sure if you wish to use much CC, and I know Sunni requests that you do not upload lots with crafting stations on them.

If you don't mind CC, though, here are ideas for visitors that I've used from Plumbbob Keep:

1, The basket-crafting station works great on a vacation community lot. Just remember to replenish the reeds. Interactive pottery-making (Maxis, of course) works well, too, though I believe you have to sell the result. At least my Sims couldn't get the plates in their inventories.
2. A community farm lot with Sunni's and Maxis' veggies. herbs, fruits and spices. Make those Sims work for those goodies! Stick a Plum Bob Keep goose, duck or chicken on there too, for good measure. Many of these may be iffy on hotel lots, though.
3. Sunni's winery works well, too.

And now that I've completed my vacation hood (well, I never did put Bigfoot in there, but my Sims don't miss him), I really am curious to see what other custom vacation hoods look like! Pictures in the picture section, please, all ... or at least a map? I would love to see how others configured custom vacation hoods. You don't read much about them (possibly because hotels CAN be a pain).

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Page 2 of 2