Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Mar 2008 at 11:50 PM
Default Choir of Hard Knocks
I'm not sure if anyone outside Australia (or even within Australia) has heard of these guys. They are a Melbourne street choir made up of disadvantaged people - homeless, drug/alcohol problems, etc.

Their initial journey was filmed and televised by the ABC, so I'd heard of them and heard their music. Like anything else, not a patch on seeing/hearing them live. I & a few friends went to the Zoo Twilights on Saturday night to see them and it was an amazing experience. Only a few members of the group are 'good' singers, but the passion and spirit these guys have is quite spectacular. Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah has become one of their 'feature' pieces, and they do it beautifully - I don't think there was a single one of us not brought out in goosebumps.

If anyone has a chance to hear these guys sing, don't miss it!

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 12:22 AM
Whenever this is on ABC my family and I watch it (we've seen it about 3 times now), and every time, I've nearly started crying. The people in the choir are amazing. It's unbelievable how they've turned their lives around.
I love listening to Hallelujah by them, and I was on the verge of tears when I heard it.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 12:51 AM
Agreed. What really got to me on Saturday was how they could stand up (in front of over 3000 people) and talk about how the choir has helped them. I can't begin to imagine how much courage that takes.

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site