Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Dec 2012 at 10:59 AM
Default Book WCIF
I just knew I shouldnt have trown away my filing system of every book I read or owned.. From age 10 untill I got too old to find it "very important", isnt it a shame most of us grow adult-y?

So, this wcif is of a childrens book, fantasy from ages ago 1980s or perhaps early 1990s. The author I believe was a english-writing, so USA, Canada, Britain, Ireland?

The plot is as far as I remember :
A princess is a disapointment to her parents so they arrange for her to be taken of by a dragon so that she will be rescued by a prince/knight? and live happily ever after.
This dragon lives with a bunch of other dragons in a mountain, some of the other dragons also have princesses.
The princess can make chocolate pudding (in the swedish version, dont know if the original has that or some other dessert) and is rather practical, not very interested in being rescued (she actually send one prince? over to one of the more annoyingly princessy princesses to be rescued just to get rid of him)
There is a dragon king "election" with a stone, some mean and nosy wizards that try to fake the election and a cleanly witch. And wizards being messy and not very cleanly melt in soap water.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? I really long to read it again!
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 23rd Dec 2012 at 11:42 AM
It's "Dealing With Dragons" by Patricia C. Wrede -- at least in English. I'm sure the author is still the same, even if the title is a bit different. In the original English version, the dessert she can make is cherries jubilee, in case you were wondering. There are also three excellent sequels. The author is American.

Enjoy reading it again! :D

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Dec 2012 at 9:33 PM
Wonderful! I do recognize the authors name!
I have searched like a maniac, for the swedish version that I at least had an incling of what it was called...(didnt help, either at the library or searching the online bookshops).
My brilliant idea to ask here have proven the most intelligent thing I have done in ages. I believe I will get an opportunity to find out the differences, since I will have to buy the english version, unless I manage to find the book in a dusty corner of a library.
And I dont even know what cherries jubilee is.

Thank you so much! Do I seem overly grateful? I have searched for two years
Theorist
#4 Old 23rd Dec 2012 at 10:11 PM
I'm not sure what cherries jubilee is either, to be honest -- I only know that the princess can make it very well.

Glad I could help!

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15