Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#126 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 8:14 AM
my inability to see things through, for sure. i barely ever get to the second generation and i'm extremely prone to abandoning projects.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#127 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by floopyboo
Playing until my laptop overheats and shuts off in a moment of self-preservation.

I have a "gaming laptop". That means it gets so hot the plastic gets soft, the screws holding it together strip out of the plastic threads, the plastic over the heat vent gets brittle and breaks off, my fingers get toasted when I have to plug it in because the socket on the computer is right next to the now exposed heat exchange, and I have to patch it back together with high temp epoxy and a special kind of Duck tape.

This only happens when I play sims 3.

But it doesn't shut down in the middle of my game, so it's good.
Instructor
#128 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I have a "gaming laptop". That means it gets so hot the plastic gets soft, the screws holding it together strip out of the plastic threads, the plastic over the heat vent gets brittle and breaks off, my fingers get toasted when I have to plug it in because the socket on the computer is right next to the now exposed heat exchange, and I have to patch it back together with high temp epoxy and a special kind of Duck tape.

duude i have a regular laptop and i've never even come close to that, shouldn't a gaming laptop be better at handling heavier stuff?? that can't possibly be normal, it sounds dangerous to boost haha D:
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#129 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 5:24 PM
My laptop's 5 and a bit years old and it's never even gotten close to dangerously hot when playing TS3 on it. Then again, I've probably only played TS3 on it for about 20 hours. My PC runs TS3 blindfolded with two fingers up its nose and its hands tied behind its back while suspended upside down from the ceiling (I know, kinky right) and it doesn't even come close to anything like that.
Still, TS3 manages to eat up most of the 8 gigabytes of VRAM it has and when it's hot outside it turns into a big jet engine too.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#130 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 7:13 PM

I don't think that's a gaming laptop if it gets that hot. gaming laptops are built to handle the load. I have a gaming laptop and it never gets hot and I play the shit out of it.
Forum Resident
#131 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 12:38 AM
Probably playing with an over populated Sunset Valley I know it's harmful but I can't live with a few populated town.
Instructor
#132 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 7:45 AM
i have this routine every time i download the sims where i HAVE to download certain items, specifically store content; it's incredibly time-consuming and i never get around to using like...even one third of it before i uninstall the game again.
Lab Assistant
#133 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 8:28 AM

Put your laptop on top of a small box fan when you play. That's what I do bc I'm always scared it will run too hot.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#134 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 10:50 AM
Or put little rubber buttons under it. AFAIK you can buy a big pack of them for no money at all, and you can just stick them under your laptop. Puts a little the final frontier between the laptop and the surface.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#135 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 12:17 PM
Loading up my game but it taking forever so I minus it to desktop and watch Youtube or something for an hour then I'm too tired to want to play so restore my game then quit without saving :/

MKATSONP is a Sims 3 Medieval Comedy Drama on Youtube and Tumblr
Site Helper
#136 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 2:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AngieMFAK77
Loading up my game but it taking forever so I minus it to desktop and watch Youtube or something for an hour then I'm too tired to want to play so restore my game then quit without saving :/

I'm worse. I start loading the game, grab a book to read while it loads, and then several hours later it's time to shut the game down and go do something else. And I haven't even decided which of my saved games I wanted to play with yet.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
#137 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LucieSims
Probably playing with an over populated Sunset Valley I know it's harmful but I can't live with a few populated town.

Overpopulated? Harmful? How?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#138 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
Overpopulated? Harmful? How?

Well, you know how TS3 has a habit of not working very well? Simulation lag and everything? As it turns out, Sims (much like real people) are responsible for most problems in the world. The game won't necessarily run perfectly in an unpopulated world, but you'll get something close to it. Fill a world up any further than an EA world typically is, by default, and you're setting yourself up for a clusterfuck of a game.
Quote: Originally posted by AngieMFAK77

An hour? I typically do this for 3 hours. On average, daily. Probably not even kidding.

insert signature here
Test Subject
#139 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 2:26 PM
Make a world, get excited, finish it, build lots, make families move them in, live a sim week, then get an idea for another world then drop them and get caught up in building a new world again, That and shopping for cc and wanting to add those to the last world i built and going back an messing with that one, and then i want to live there again... lol
Test Subject
#140 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 5:29 AM Last edited by Moondragon007 : 2nd Dec 2017 at 7:52 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I suppose my music taste could kind of save the day - like I said, it's all pretty old. And generally speaking, older songs don't get struck down as much by copyright and whatnot. Of course it helps too if the song isn't too popular, or at least not one of the "classics". I've been kind of digging acid house lately, if I were to use any of that I don't think I'd ever get a strike for it.

You could listen to the music with headphones.

Everybody with overheating problems, take your compy to a shop and have them check the cooling fan. It's probably all gunked up with lint, dust, hair, etc, especially if you have pets.

My worse habit is playing with all the expansions I own (everything except Showtime and Island Paradise) activated, and then wondering why my game lags sooooo much.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#141 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 10:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Moondragon007
You could listen to the music with headphones.

One step ahead of you. Unfortunately, my phone won't play half the music I want to hear because of evil corporate Nazis, so I'll just do it through my PC. And that's where the problem starts.

insert signature here
Test Subject
#142 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 8:21 PM
When I was 9, I used to make my sims look ridiculous with extremely bright and ugly clothing and exaggerated features and making them fairies. Great times, those were.
Field Researcher
#143 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 5:08 AM
Ever since Supernatural came out, I get stuck making the same "Queen Witch" character in all my games. She's Evil, She's pretty, She's a witch. I usually give her some over-the-top name like "Lucrezia Darkheart" or "Demetria Havelock". I keep gravitating towards this archetype even though I use the magic and potions to make things super easy and therefore boring.

At least in this upcoming game I plan on doing, I've downgraded her from "Queen" to "Hotel manager" so maybe there will be something interesting.
Test Subject
#144 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 7:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stormcat3
Ever since Supernatural came out, I get stuck making the same "Queen Witch" character in all my games. She's Evil, She's pretty, She's a witch. I usually give her some over-the-top name like "Lucrezia Darkheart" or "Demetria Havelock". I keep gravitating towards this archetype even though I use the magic and potions to make things super easy and therefore boring.

At least in this upcoming game I plan on doing, I've downgraded her from "Queen" to "Hotel manager" so maybe there will be something interesting.

I like to make good witch characters. My current witch is Alicia Starr, and her traits are neat, irresistable, frugal, cat person (of course!), and couch potato (since I try to give all my sims one negative trait to make them more realistic). She has a son, Rory, who is a werewolf, and a granddaughter, Diane, who is a fairy (I'm working on a supernatural legacy). You can use this for ideas on how to make good witches if you want.
Scholar
#145 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 5:53 PM
I have been trying to come up with my worst Simming habit since the existence of this thread, but fortunately it turns out that I am a perfect Simmer!

A little guide on how to be the perfect Simmer :

1. Do something in TS3, anything goes.
2. Plan whatever you just did.

There you go! Turns out you already carried out your plan perfectly, yay! And what a grand case of foresight you just showed, amazing!
Instructor
#146 Old 7th Dec 2017 at 1:53 AM
My worst Simming habit tbh has to be not finding a balance between gameplay and storytelling.
So, what I will do is keep my story going on Tumblr, but I can't always be bothered to update the story and just want to play: grow some plants and teach a bird to talk and shizz.
But then I have to keep my story on track, which has now mostly changed because the gameplay inbetween chapters gave me new ideas to go in different ways!
So that's annoying - I never get a story finished and it always changes!
And it also feels like I can't relax and play if the story is not connected to the game - which restricts my gameplay a lot.
Bad, bad habits fo sho!

MKATSONP is a Sims 3 Medieval Comedy Drama on Youtube and Tumblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#147 Old 7th Dec 2017 at 12:19 PM
Actually, my worst Simming habit is promising myself I'll "totally" do this or that, because I had a good idea I want to try out, and then get so overwhelmed with other crap that I never get around to it.
Like, for example, all that CC I told myself would be done last month.
Or that house I was going to build.
Or that let's play I'm about halfway done with.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#148 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 8:55 PM
I get more sad about my pets getting taken away for adoption in TS3 than I do about my children getting taken away by child services,therefore I always adopt my pets back,like,every single time even if I make myself a promise not to...
I just simply can't bare the fact that I don't know if they're alright,also the feeling of guilt. :D
Scholar
#149 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 8:56 PM
I cheat. A lot. I also abandon saves really quickly!
Instructor
#150 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 4:52 AM
Teleporting everywhere. I love some of the roadless worlds out there and they're gorgeous, but ugh, the amount of time it takes to get anywhere drives me bonkers.
Page 6 of 9