Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 7:30 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 for Mac - I can´t install!
Hey Guys,

it´s just me again with a new problem. I bought TS2 for Mac a few day ago and today it arrived. I used WinXP before and the version I had was only for Windows PCs only so I had to purchase a new game. Well, I tried to install the "new" game. The first problem was that I could´t install the BodyShop because it was only for the PowerMac 2006 series. Than, the install program told me that my hard drive has not enough free volume. I bought my iMac last month and I just used 1GB (500GB hard drive) of the volume. Now I was wondering if my Macintosh is too new. The game is for OS X 10.3 and the next generations. I am using OS X Lion 10.6.

Does somebody know how I can fix my problems? It´s really sad because I don´t want to pay so much money for a new game!
Thanks!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 2:51 AM
I've read and been told that The Sims 2 mac is not compatible with Lion as Lion does not use or support Rosetta (which is essentially a PowerPC compatibility mode). Aspyr who ported the game to Mac no longer support the game and have said they wont be releasing any updates for their older titles.

They suggest partitioning your hard drive and installing an older version of OSX onto part of your hard drive allowing you to boot into the older version where you can install and play the game. Of course this requires you to buy another operating system.

Alternatively if you still have your windows installation discs you could partition and use bootcamp to instal windows and play the game that way, which is how I play the game as I found the mac versions to be incredibly buggy.
Test Subject
#3 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 1:46 AM
You can install it on Lion. It's just a bit tricky.

This is the first step: http://www.ehow.com/how_2003545_sim...al-install.html
Patch the basegame and each EP as you go with this: http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18775

That's how I got it to install and it works fine. If you have any other questions let me know!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 11th May 2012 at 10:12 PM Last edited by deathBYflies : 11th Jan 2013 at 8:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by dragonfly3007
You can install it on Lion. It's just a bit tricky.

This is the first step: http://www.ehow.com/how_2003545_sim...al-install.html
Patch the basegame and each EP as you go with this: http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18775

The install instructions in the link are a bit misleading to my way of thinking; there is a much easier method.

I managed to install TS2 and expansions 1-4 in this way:

1. My original TS2 disk has no installer, just a 'drag to Applications' folder. That done, I patched the TS2 app. with the combo patch.
2. Then I installed each expansion, one-by-one (Uni/OFB/NL/Pets), patching each time with the combo patch. To get the expansion installers to work, do this:
a. Open the install CD and ctr+click or right click on the installer icon. DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK THE INSTALLER!
b. From the drop down menu, select 'Show Package Contents' - open the 'Resources' folder (IGNORE the 'Pets Installer' file in the 'Mac OS' folder)
c. In the 'Resources folder', there will be a .pkg file for the installation (eg. Pets.pkg) - double click this and it will install as normal.
d. Don't forget to patch each installation with the combo patch.

A piece of cake!
Test Subject
#5 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 5:37 PM
Thanks “dragonfly3007” and “deathBYflies”! I had too much custom content in my game and had to reinstall, when I discovered this entire Rosetta “BS” from other gamers through their online posts. I followed your instructions, and was able to install “University”, “Nightlife” and “Open For Business” without any issue. I have all the expansion packs up to and including “Bon Voyage”. The reinstalled game runs fine.

What I can’t understand is why Aspyr Support is run by a bunch of douchebags. Instead of pointing their customers to this information and allowing them to resolve the installation on their own, they put up a “we can’t help anyone” approach and call that “Customer Support”. Just because they’re no longer on the “Sims 2” payroll, will they not support that game, is a poor excuse or no excuse at all to leave its older customers dangling in the wind. If it were up to me, I wouldn’t let Aspyr handle the production of any Apple formatted games. They don’t have a clue about good customer service or support. Thanks again “dragonfly3007” and “deathBYflies”! You guys saved the day!
Test Subject
#6 Old 25th Dec 2012 at 3:44 AM Last edited by jduggins11 : 25th Dec 2012 at 3:45 AM. Reason: more clarity
Default Must be in the shallow end of the gene pool
OK,

I tried the instructions in this thread and associated links, both from the DVD and from a file image on the Hard Disk. No joy here. The patch wont patch the executables, and I can't locate anything with a .pkg extension.

Mid-2010 MacBook Pro running Lion 10.7.5

I see the website now says it's shutting down in three weeks.

I'm open to some new ideas about how to install the base software. Help!!!